Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 04:07 AM

Winter

Here in New Hampshire winter riding means 20 to 30 degrees. I find it hard to go any distance in that cold. Easier to go on rollers.
When it gets to the mid 30s or so, hill repeats are the way to go. I generate tons of heat and sweat on the ten
minutes up - do not even notice the cold. The way down is another story, but the downhill only lasts a few minutes before I turn around and get warm again. 40 mph downhill in 30 degree temps when one is soaking wet is no fun. It is about the only time I am happy for the quick downhill.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:18 AM

I definitely hit the zen mindset doing hill repeats. It becomes all about breath and rhythm since I don't have a computer/power meter to measure efforts.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
No longer doing that, but back when I was racing I did them all the time. River rd in NJ right off the GWB was the closest place I could get decent hill training...

Oh yah Alpine d’huez!
Old 01-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought hill repeats were the reason Portland created Mt Tabor park.

River View Cemetary? Other than holding skeletons, what is it good for?

In Bend, I have gone up and down Pilot Butte a few times.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:08 AM

Just when you thought you were kicking some ass ...

You glance at the stats for Waldo and cgolvin. Jesus, what’s the matter with you guys? If I had an eBike, I would’ve climbed a gajillion miles, too. 😂

Oh well, I have a pink bike. And a Rapha Mortirolo Club Jersey. My game really shines at the local bakery 😘
Old 01-23-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought hill repeats were the reason Portland created Mt Tabor park.

The best repeats in Portland are had on SW Hall and 16th -

Yes it's sunny and beautiful in Bend, but man do I miss riding the West Hills on the daily.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post

I go through the cemetery so much..still trying to pick out my plot.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:12 PM

This took a bit out of me this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C38F411F-7BE8-416B-9522-76CCD73137E5.jpg (67.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:14 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Since moving to Bend, I've fallen in love with riding repeats on one of the few proper climbs in town. It's a 0.82mi climb that averages 8%, two sections are a bit over 10%, one section a bit below 7%, and gains 360ft. And it's right outside my door - in fact, it's right outside my office window. Strava tells me I've ridden the climb 32 times in the last 90 days. I did 10x on it on Wednesday in round about 1:30. And I'm not even the Local Legend - a Jr. Nat CX Pro holds that, Ian Brown - who has ridden it 47 times in the last 90 days, on his Speedvagen team CX bike. But that's just what's on Strava. There is a guy who lives in the neighborhood who rides it multiple times every single day - on an enduro MTB. Nutter. I love the climb because of the gradient - just challenging enough to keep me at threshold in a 39x27/25 - and because the downhill is just swoopy enough to help me get better at descending (and it's working - feeling much more confident in the upper 30s now). Most days I see a family of deer hanging around. And there aren't too many walkers or cars to deal with. There are a few other climbs on the hill I live on, some steeper and longer, a few crazy steep and short, but none that I've ridden as consistently as this one...

So, who else loves the repeat life? What's your climb and how often do you do it?

I live in SE Portland and go up Tabor a lot and last year discovered a new way to go. After 20 years of climbing that Volcano I'm going north today to go up Rocky Butte!!

I live in SE Portland and go up Tabor a lot and last year discovered a new way to go. After 20 years of climbing that Volcano I'm going north today to go up Rocky Butte!!
Old 01-23-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Rocky is great. Perfect length, atmo. And a fun merry-go-round to recover on the descent and hit it again.

My favorite bit at Tabor is climbing the paved goat-path from the playground up to the restrooms (I guess that'd be the N/NW side). My least favorite is the eastern approach - chunky pavement just kills momentum and your spirit.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:39 PM

Most of us probably have a few of these hill repeat stories.

More fun to do repeats for some well-defined reason. Probably my most memorable outing was the Arcadia Brute ride from 2012. Descend and climb the bluffs along the Mississippi River, rinse and repeat. And again. And again.

The point shown below... let's just say I was happy to be moving along at 4.2 mph... and on the bike.

Add in unseasonably hot mid-90's temps and high humidity in the middle of May, and it truly was brutal. Was certainly happy I didn't sign up for the 200K.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
This took a bit out of me this morning
Holy crap...nicely done! The route looks vaguely familiar
Old 01-23-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Holy crap...nicely done! The route looks vaguely familiar
Thank you. I’d be happy to show you around.
:-)
Old 01-23-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Most of us probably have a few of these hill repeat stories.

More fun to do repeats for some well-defined reason. Probably my most memorable outing was the Arcadia Brute ride from 2012. Descend and climb the bluffs along the Mississippi River, rinse and repeat. And again. And again.

The point shown below... let's just say I was happy to be moving along at 4.2 mph... and on the bike.

Add in unseasonably hot mid-90's temps and high humidity in the middle of May, and it truly was brutal. Was certainly happy I didn't sign up for the 200K.

Awesome
Old 01-23-2021, 03:40 PM

Living in Chicago I need to drive to the hills, like the post above from Tom.

But today and on a normal ride day I hit what are hardly hills but are just bluffs down to the beaches along my ride. If you are a Chicago rider you know. Anyway I did a short ride and 6 hill repeats down to the beach and back up. I was joined by a guy walking and a woman running. On the third or fourth repeat I asked the woman who was very fast going up how many she was doing as she looked pretty blasted. 15 she shouted!

That would be a killer workout. 20 degrees no sweat.