Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 03:17 PM

Solvang, CA

Thinking of a cycling trip for 3 or 4 days this spring. Online it appears to get rave reviews for cycling. Anyone with personal experience? Anyone know any B&Bs?

Discuss
Old 02-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Classics Fan

Nothing solid, but I visited that area and did some wineries in Santa Ynez valley and I thought it would be great cycling.

This was circa 2010, so before the airbnb wave really took hold. I looked seriously at a couple of the listings on this site: https://www.paradiseretreats.com/search-results/

Wasn't able to pull the trigger on a full blown trip, but for sure I'd do it in a heart beat if I had the time/money.

Refugio and Figueroa were two that really stuck out as must do climbs.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:34 PM
cnighbor2

My bike club does 4 days of riding in that area

My bike club does 4 days of riding in that area so join them
Grizzly Peak cyclists
In April
Than eroica is down there also about same time

SAT APR 11 - FRI APR 17 3,4,5/T,TM,M/30-80 Solvang and Paso Robles club trip
Leader: Brian Aldrich brianaldrich9@gmail.com (510) 693-0603
Meet at 9:00 am

Join our 9th annual spring trip to Solvang and Paso Robles. You can participate in some or all of the rides, or do other rides on your own. There are lots of options, and the returning veterans can help you choose.

We will be staying at the Royal Copenhagen in Solvang the nights of April 11th through 14th. Call (800) 624-6604 for reservations. We will be staying at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles the nights of April 15th and 16th. Call (805) 238-2770 for reservations. In both cases, tell them your are with Grizzly Peak Cyclists. We have a block of rooms reserved at the AAA rate. You can also choose other accommodations if you wish.

We will do rides such as the Solvang Time Trial Loop, Five Canyons Loop, Mt Figueroa Loop, Jalama Beach, Pozo Loop, Tour of Paso Robles, and the Peachy Canyon Loop!

We will have nightly “Happy Hours” at our hotel to discuss the next day’s route(s). Then we all may go to a suggested restaurant together, but there are many choices, and we often break up into several smaller groups. In the morning, we will start most rides at 9 a.m. right from our hotel. There may be changes to who leads, and in some cases a ride may not even be led, but there will always be great riding options available.

Please RSVP to Brian with your likely dates and hotels. Include your email and mobile phone so you can be kept up to date on any changes. Grizzly Peak membership ($15) is expected.

Last edited by cnighbor1; 02-18-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM
cnighbor2

one nice long ride

one nice route is out to M. Jacksons old place
A loop of about 85 miles Gets into the coastal hills a lot

https://www.grizz.org/routes/locationDetail.php?id=92

Last edited by cnighbor1; 02-18-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:40 PM

I know nothing about the area but I’ll do searches for rides on the usual websites. Specifically I’d love it if there were a cycling oriented B&B. Looking for a B&B for two reasons. 1. I spend so much time in regular hotels that I simply can’t stand the idea and, 2. I’d like to find a place with a great rapport and it could become a regular thing, annually or even more often.

It’s time to get back to riding more.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:41 PM

I live here.

Or about 12 minutes north of Solvang, not in the town itself.

Road riding is pretty amazeballs. Mountain biking is nearly non-existent. "Gravel" is basically limited to one road over the hills and back, but it's still a pretty excellent experience. (That said, I'd only bring a road bike unless you're driving and have plenty of cargo capacity.)

My parents and sister have stayed at the Ballard Inn and Mattei's Tavern and recommend both. They're out of my price range, so I can't really comment personally.

Spring's a fantastic time of year to be here. Even late spring as long as you get out the door relatively early. But March or April are pretty prime and still beautifully green most years.

If you end up coming out, drop me a line for restaurant recommendations and a few ride descriptions. If I can clear my schedule of work and newborn demands, I'd join you, too. If you happen to ride 62x59 I could even loan you a bike.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:42 PM
#RYFB

Paging mhespenheide… [edit, he beat me to the punch while I was posting]

Eroica is actually up in Cambria, not really in the mix for riding.

Figueroa is a fantastic ride; I've only done it in one direction (via Happy Valley, counterclockwise) but would like to add the reverse to a ride one day. I've never ridden Refugio but have heard varying opinions on the experience on a road bike. There are some other routes like Foxen Canyon, but Mark is the expert and I'm sure can provide routes.

If you have a car and the time I'd consider going over the hill for one or more of the great Santa Barbara climbs -- Old San Marcos-Painted Cave, and of course Gibraltar. You can make a loop out of those or, for real punishment, go out and back to do them both.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:43 PM

^^
Thanks! I’ll look at all that. I’m planning only road riding. This is partly inspired by my coupled Serotta, which I want to get back in action.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:52 PM
#RYFB

Let me know if you need routes, though Mark has all the real local knowledge.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM

I stayed and rode there prior to TOC showing up the next day for TT. There were three in our group and we all raved about the riding in the area: friendly folks, awesome scenery, not that many cars on roads.

Sounds like fun.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:24 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Santa Barbara climbs -- Gibraltar.
I had the pleasure of doing this climb. It was GREAT. Not easy..and can be windy...but super fun.

The riding in CA is pretty choice.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:44 PM

I stayed at the Sideways Inn before, and I loved it. Now bear in mind, I love non-fancy hotels. But I could roll my bike in through a sliding glass door from the pool area (no elevators) and then sit in a chair outside sipping a glass of wine.

https://highwaywestvacations.com/properties/sidewaysinn
Old 02-18-2020, 04:59 PM
Deconditioned!

Not to mention you can eat at the Hitching Post for the always relevant Sideways moment.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Not to mention you can eat at the Hitching Post for the always relevant Sideways moment.
I'M NOT DRINKING ANY F*ING MERLOT

good stuff
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 PM

Ballard Inn is phenomenal, no phones, super quiet. I don’t know if there is lodging at Mattei’s tavern but Bo Derek is a regular.

Honestly can’t say I know of a bike specific B&B, but lots of riding in the area, I’ve seen some Pro Teams training in the area, Saturn comes to mind.

Overall, beautiful area, great food and wine and genuinely nice people. You will have a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I live here.

Or about 12 minutes north of Solvang, not in the town itself.

Road riding is pretty amazeballs. Mountain biking is nearly non-existent. "Gravel" is basically limited to one road over the hills and back, but it's still a pretty excellent experience. (That said, I'd only bring a road bike unless you're driving and have plenty of cargo capacity.)

My parents and sister have stayed at the Ballard Inn and Mattei's Tavern and recommend both. They're out of my price range, so I can't really comment personally.

Spring's a fantastic time of year to be here. Even late spring as long as you get out the door relatively early. But March or April are pretty prime and still beautifully green most years.

If you end up coming out, drop me a line for restaurant recommendations and a few ride descriptions. If I can clear my schedule of work and newborn demands, I'd join you, too. If you happen to ride 62x59 I could even loan you a bike.