Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 02:32 PM

'14 S-Works Tarmac BB swap

Hi,

I have a 2014 S-Works Tarmac SL4 that has been a great bike. I want to replace the always creaking S-Works OSBB crankset with a Dura Ace 9000 crankset (Hollowtech II) that matches the rest of my group.

I've been all over the forums an have read conflicting info on OSBB vs. BB30 on these frames. Ideally I'd like to hear from a member(s) that have done this abd find out what conversion bottom bracket I need (I do not want to use the spacers that insert into the existing press fit bearings) to go from OSBB to Hollowtech II?

Ideally a thread-together conversion like Praxis, rather than another press fit solution. But, I'm not clear what exact part to use.

Thanks and sorry for a new thread on a much-talked about, older topic.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:38 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've only done this once, but IIRC it depends on the BB. If the bike has an AL insert, it's one BB. If the bike doesn't, it's another.

Again, this is all IIRC

I have 3 bikes with thread-together BBs (2 from Wheels Manuf. and 1 from Enduro) and no creaks or clunks from any. The new FN Aero road frame as a Praxis Pressfit BB that I'm having some clunks from when standing that I need to go figure out. It isn't creaking, but clunking. Sort of a metal on metal sound that only happens when I'm standing and climbing

I have a few suspicions as to what it it, but need to take things back apart to see what's going on specifically

M
Old 02-18-2020, 02:43 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Not sure about the 2014, but I know my SL3 S-Works has the carbon hole and uses the extra sleeve provided with the Praxis.

Just IMO, But I think I'd lean using the thread together with the OSBB that has the Alloy in the BB of the frame. That sleeve needing to get used in the S-Work Carbon BB cave in my minds ear is just another surface interface waiting to creek.

Mine does not creek, not even sure what is in there, not looked. It has been a not broke don't fix. Unlike the OSBB in the 2014 SL4 disc Roubaix I had for a very short time, argh!

But I wanted to make the point about the sleeve and additional surface interfacing involved.

So now maybe some folk that have actually used that system can chime in.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:07 PM

Thanks. I'll check this evening to see if it has the plastic inserts or the aluminum ones.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 PM

I put a threaded BB adapter into my Tarmac after I got sick of the creaking. I don't remember the brand but I know it used loctite and I believe it threaded together. Silent ever since I did that.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 PM

I measured and I have the raw carbon, 61mm true OSBB bottom bracket with the Specialized plastic inserts. Never removed one of these, but my understanding is that I take it all out and thread in a praxis unit. We’ll see?!