Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I'd rather have the self-discipline to lose enough weight to be back at my old race weight (I'd have to lose dozens of lbs) or even 15 lbs and feel better than spend the money on a bike that will depreciate like this.

False dichotomy - you can have both

But I agree, I need to lose 10kg to get the performance I want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2020, 09:46 AM

I'm unlikely to pull the trigger any time soon, but yes, I've been lusting after an aero road bike, or an endurance road bike with aero features. I like to ride fast. I don't plan on road racing, but I like to be able to hang with the fast group if I do a fondo or century ride. I wouldn't mind some assistance in that regard! I do like the aesthetics of integrated cockpits and of the deep shaped tubes. I'd also like a disc brake bike so that I could use carbon wheels without worrying about rim braking.

All that said, I like my steel Vanilla very much, thanks. I'm not going to retire or sell it anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the time over 40k / power savings from an aero road helmet are on par with (or more than?) the time/power savings from going to an aero road frame, or from going to deep section carbon wheels. I'm not willing (at this point) to get carbon rim brake wheels (although I might be willing to get a pair of faired aluminum wheels like Hed Jets - depending on price). Heck, just shaving my legs again would probably save me as much time/power as carbon wheels.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I had a 2012 Cervelo S5 VWD and it was stiff, but fast at the time. Strange brake mounting systems and integrated routing/wheel cutouts made changing components less easy than other bikes.
I'm wondering why you have this impression of the 2012 Cervelo S5? One of the big problems with 2012 version was front end stiffness - most riders considered the front end to be too flexy, so it didn't track as well as other bikes. The main tubes of the 2015 model were fattened up specifically to address this problem. The 2012 S5 also had a fairly conventional brake mounting and you could use any standard sidepull brakes on the S5. The vertical derailleur cable entry on the top tube was a bit odd, but it was no more difficult to assemble than any other internal cabling (its easier than my 2019 Trek Emonda, for example). The wheel cutouts don't affect component assembly in any way.

I actually had a 2012 S5 for a few years, but I replaced it with the 2015 S5. I could live with most of the shortcomings of the 2012, except for the very poor tire clearance. The 2015 kept all the good features of the 2012, while addressing just about all the short comings. It has more tire clearance for today's wider rims/tires, and has a stiffer front end. The derailleur cable entry has been improved a little bit as well.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
False dichotomy - you can have both

But I agree, I need to lose 10kg to get the performance I want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I could totally have both. I'd actually like to see numbers from my Giant TCR Advanced SL vs. modern aero bike.

To be honest, I like the aesthetic of the modern aero bike as much as the performance. I like the hidden internals, though I'm sure they're a nightmare to work on.

This bike is a decade old at this point and behind the times in a lot of ways, but it's still very fast when I have good legs. It is very stiff and very light and puts me in a good position - long and low. But it's clearly not today's hot bike.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:13 AM

In response to the OP's question, I wanted and got a aero road bike a few years ago. As noted above, I first got a 2012 Cervelo S5, which was then replaced by a 2015 Cervelo S5. I selected this model for a number of reasons: Independent testing indicated that this was the fastest, or nearly the fastest aero road bike at the time (least aero drag). Other than the aero seatpost, it didn't require any proprietary components (no special brakes, stems, handlebars, etc. - and even the proprietary seatpost was used by several models by this manufacturer). This meant that it would be more future proof. And, Cervelo maintains the same steering geometry across a broad range of sizes (I ride smaller frames, and some manufacturers tend to tweak the geometry of their smaller sizes in ways that hurt handling and response). I use this bike primarily for racing, and for training for racing. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I can still mix with most Masters fields in my age group.

I have no illusions about the speed gains due to aero bikes. All told (aero frame/fork, aero wheels, aero handlebar), I figure that this bike will increase my speed by about 1/2 to 3/4 mph at a nominal 25 mph. That's not much in the bigger picture, but in the context of a bike race, it can be a lot - it can make the difference of a break away staying away or not, or the difference in several places in a sprint.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I could totally have both. I'd actually like to see numbers from my Giant TCR Advanced SL vs. modern aero bike.

To be honest, I like the aesthetic of the modern aero bike as much as the performance. I like the hidden internals, though I'm sure they're a nightmare to work on.

This bike is a decade old at this point and behind the times in a lot of ways, but it's still very fast when I have good legs. It is very stiff and very light and puts me in a good position - long and low. But it's clearly not today's hot bike.

That TCR is great. I doubt you are giving up much and if you like it, stick with it.. I wouldn't buy an aero bike that had mech shifting or integrated mech brakes. The disc plus electro really makes everything work better.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:26 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
I just took delivery of my Factor One disc yesterday. I had a Trek Madone 9 but the headtube was just too tall. H2 geo. Also it felt kinda soft to me, unnatural with the ISO decoupler system. It definitely works just I don't think a road bike should flex like that.

Really looking forward to trying this out. I have heard its a totally different beast. Very stiff and fast. I ended up getting the 80mm wheels you see in the pictures. They are actually 75mm This bike is also a first for me with disc brakes. Definitely was not a selling feature but... it sure makes for a clean bike with etap.
Interesting that you went with Spyres vs. wet brakes. Not that there's anything wrong with Spyres. They're really good.

The bike, BTW, is drop-dead gorgeous.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I had a 2012 Cervelo S5 VWD and it was stiff, but fast at the time. Strange brake mounting systems and integrated routing/wheel cutouts made changing components less easy than other bikes.

Today, I have a 2019 Tarmac Pro Disc, which is just as aero as the original Venge (basically the same aero-ness at my S5), except it has disc brakes, wider clearance, and easier brake mounting.

Overall, all aero road bikes today are more aero than the most aero road bikes were 5 years ago. As others have mentioned they take more time to setup, and can take more time to adjust if cables need to be cut each time the stem or bars are switched.
as alluded to below, the Cervelo S5 really was the epitome of aero road bike and has been widely considered as peak aero

No one other than Specialized makes the point that the Venge (much less the Tarmac) is as aero as the S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
In response to the OP's question, I wanted and got a aero road bike a few years ago. As noted above, I first got a 2012 Cervelo S5, which was then replaced by a 2015 Cervelo S5. I selected this model for a number of reasons: Independent testing indicated that this was the fastest, or nearly the fastest aero road bike at the time (least aero drag). Other than the aero seatpost, it didn't require any proprietary components (no special brakes, stems, handlebars, etc. - and even the proprietary seatpost was used by several models by this manufacturer). This meant that it would be more future proof. And, Cervelo maintains the same steering geometry across a broad range of sizes (I ride smaller frames, and some manufacturers tend to tweak the geometry of their smaller sizes in ways that hurt handling and response). I use this bike primarily for racing, and for training for racing. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I can still mix with most Masters fields in my age group.

I have no illusions about the speed gains due to aero bikes. All told (aero frame/fork, aero wheels, aero handlebar), I figure that this bike will increase my speed by about 1/2 to 3/4 mph at a nominal 25 mph. That's not much in the bigger picture, but in the context of a bike race, it can be a lot - it can make the difference of a break away staying away or not, or the difference in several places in a sprint.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:58 AM

Aero bike?

I have an Argon 18 Nitrogen Disc.
It is fairly light in the mid 16's for a medium. Fits me well too.

I like it for group rides and other fast stuff. Climbs well too.

Like the Madone- But it is heavy. Venge is also cool.

If considering a Madone I would wait for the next version- Supposedly they are releasing an SL version.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthly Payment View Post
There’s about a dozen which next gravel bike threads. I’m kinda going in the other direction...
I'm going in the other, other direction. I want a classic, sharp geometry, big tubes and a ride quality that would make Ernesto raise a brow. And I'll be collecting parts and building that up over the next couple of months.

It sounds like you're deadset on as aero as possible, but I've got a semi aero bike for sale. $1500 net to me will get it in your stable.

Check it
Old 02-18-2020, 11:25 AM

The bike won't make you faster. I'm always that one guy in the break with a steel bike. I pull through just fine. Spend the money on a coach if you want to see an improvement in speed.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:29 AM

Not lusting as I went this way a long time ago. These 2 bikes are great go fast bikes. They are actually also good go slow bikes.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:32 AM

Aero is everything. I think some do it better than others. I'll settle for some deep-y carbon-y wheels.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:00 PM

The really great thing about both of your Aero bikes is that they are ALSO amazing All Around Bikes as they do everything a road bike should do VERY well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Not lusting as I went this way a long time ago. These 2 bikes are great go fast bikes. They are actually also good go slow bikes.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:04 PM

I picked this aero bike up about a year ago. The back wheel is tucked tight in there. Love it and it was cheap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1259D648-2A73-4AFD-ACB5-0923D36970C3.jpg (103.7 KB, 85 views)