Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 10:46 AM

A tire specifically for Bay Area "gravel?"

As in we don't actually have gravel here. We have steep fire roads and rutted doubletrack. I'm really intrigued by the GravelKing SK (43c) but wonder how they'd perform on asphalt.

Conversely, the Compass Barlow Pass has great reviews, but I wonder about the grip climbing Tam or Redwood Regional, for example.

Two other contenders are the Compass Hurticane Ridge TC and the WTB Resolute, both of which seem to be highly regarded. I really have a hard time believing that tires with that knobby tread fare well for an extended time on pavement.

Any input is appreciated. I have a new gravel bike that can fit 700x 45c tires.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM

I settled on RH Steilacooms. I can only fit 38’s in my bike, but I found that the knobbies help me navigate the loose sand on bedrock as well as the larger rocky trails found on Tam and Wildcat. Especially going uphill, my rear tire tends to have much better grip.

Fast on the asphalt too. My search is over for tires... good luck!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 AM

I've been running the Compass/RH tires (various Passes, not cross). Really like the light weight and traditional look. I'm super pleased with performance on pavement. They work good on trails, the pressures have to be pretty low and I have to keep the rear tire well-weighted when climbing steeps and in loose stuff.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
As in we don't actually have gravel here. We have steep fire roads and rutted doubletrack. I'm really intrigued by the GravelKing SK (43c) but wonder how they'd perform on asphalt.

Conversely, the Compass Barlow Pass has great reviews, but I wonder about the grip climbing Tam or Redwood Regional, for example.

Two other contenders are the Compass Hurticane Ridge TC and the WTB Resolute, both of which seem to be highly regarded. I really have a hard time believing that tires with that knobby tread fare well for an extended time on pavement.

Any input is appreciated. I have a new gravel bike that can fit 700x 45c tires.
Ive ridden Barlow pass on sibley and redwood regional trails and even on dirt tunnel (before it got graded) and it was ok.

I would’ve preferred a bigger tire but 38 is all I could fit. I think a 42 would be perfect.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:26 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have the new Rene Herse Knobbies and they are fantastic. I have them in 650b but I am sure the 700s are as good.

Just ordered yesterday the Maxxis ramblers which is what I will probably ride at DK. For some reason I want to be on 700c instead of 650 and I feel they will offer better protection than the RHs.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:29 AM

I haven't ridden Bay Area "gravel", but the description sounds pretty similar to a lot of Front Range gravel.

I really like the Gravelking SK 43 as an all-rounder for rides that are going to be more than 50% pavement or well-maintained gravel. It's also my current go-to commuter tire and got me safely through the snow this morning.

For rides that might get a little more rocky, I have a couple of 27.5x2.0 options. Bonty XR1 are my current favorites for fast rolling on the paved sections, durability in the rocks and sure-footedness on loose corners. If your going to ride a bunch of fun singletrack and can access it without a bunch of paved riding, I wouldn't count out the possibility of a 27.5 wheelset with some XC tires.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:42 AM

I've used Kenda Flintridge 40s, BG Rock N Road 43s, Panaracer GK 38s, and Vittoria Rubino 28s. What I like best depends on the time of year. This time of year, when the trails are neither muddy nor dusty, the GK 38s are probably best. Once they start to get dusty, the RNR or Flintridge tires really earn their keep, but I find that the RNR tires feel a little faster on the road, despite their deeper tread.

I don't ride off road when it's muddy.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:54 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I have a set of Hutchinson Override tubeless in 35mm. I'd have got the 38mm but fenders are in play so opted to minimize rattle potential not getting too greedy.

If used on mostly pave, especially real crud, great and good weight to boot. If I spend little time off harder surfaces I drop pressures. Otherwise for a winter paved blast 70/75 PSI [I am 198lb] If even half softer surface for the ride, 45-55psi, and just suffer a touch more if last part of ride is paved. But not enough to bother stopping to pump up, I man up instead.

When you drop the pressures the edges get to do the grippy thing very well on a softer loose surface, Pumped up not at all, like the edge lugs don't see surface at all.

I also just got some 30mm Ritchey Alpine JBs for a bike the 35s could never fit. I am liking them for the 5-6 rides of coarse pave/crud with a few off piste slimy blasts and also recommend.

But at 30mm for me @ 198lb I'd grab bigger for mostly non pave use. But for a 160lb rider the 30mm Alpine JB would be a different story I am guessing with lower PSi options being more viable for a non clyde for this size tire.

EDIT: the 35mm Overrides @ 75psi seem just as fast as the 30mm JBs pumped up for any hard surface [paved] But also they make the JB in 35mm tubeless worth a mention.

When I say crud, I mean broken old and coarse chip seal etc.

Last edited by robt57; 02-13-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:57 AM
Randomhead

I have 38mm GK SK, and I think they roll fine on pavement. Maybe a tiny bit of extra noise.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:53 PM

Setting up Gravelking EXT 38s for Mid-South(formally LandRun100).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 01:00 PM

Compass are much too fragile for south bay (sierra azul, almaden, etc) and southern scruz mountains (montebello, russian ridge, longridge, pescadero, portola, butano, etc) - I destroyed them pretty much instantly - big cuts, sidewall slashes, etc.

Assuming you're riding dumb things like me, a tire with a bead-to-bead belt is pretty much required unless you like walking home from the middle of no where.

I generally use a Specialized Trigger in 700x38. They are tough and roll decently.

There's no free lunch with tires, despite all the Compass hype.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:03 PM

I've been using Thunder Burts in 2.1. I've been pleased with performance on singletrack/roots/ruts and surprised by road performance (vs slick horizons) definitely very good, center knobs are very small vs SKs and TBs are quite light as well (vs either horizon or SKs).
Old 02-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Vendor

Most of my gravel rides are around Tam. My current favorite tire is the 700x38 Barlow Pass. I went with the BP because getting to my gravel rides involves a good bit of road. The one route I might not take w/ those is Eldridge. Most of the time the trails are dry so mud traction isn't a concern. I'm going to try a Steilacoom on the front next. I think that'd be a really nice setup for mixed road/gravel. My concern with a front knobby is having the knobs fold while cornering on the road. Apparently, the Steilacoom's knobs are designed big so they don't fold like that. If I was riding gravel exclusively, I'd step up to something with a more aggressive tread and volume, like a 40 or 42. Something like a WTB Nano, Riddler, or the RH Hurricane Ridge.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:21 PM
Meh

Maxxis Ikon 2.35" 3C/EXO/TR, but that wasn't really the question you were asking I guess.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:40 PM

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. Really helpful. Essentially, for many of you familiar with the Bay Area: if I were to ride from my partner's house (right off Skyline) down Redwood to Canyon and take the East Ridge trail (pictured) back home OR take the BART in to SF and cross the bridge into the Marin Headlands (pictured) what tire would be most conducive to that? 50% paved and 50 % fire road.

I really haven't read anything here that's dissuaded me from the 43c GravelKings. If anyone has used them and thinks they're absolute trash, please speak up.

As far as the Barlow Pass is concerned, I might as well go with the Snowqualmie Pass (44c) because my bike can fit them, and the tread is essentially the same. Only problem with RH tires: it's my understanding they're not compatible with hookless rims, and that's what I've got.

Interesting, Gran Fondo has the 37c Riddler heads and shoulders above the rest:
https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best-gravel-tire-2/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3637.jpg (129.0 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3638.JPG (75.8 KB, 486 views)