Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Yes, you watched a different video than I. And your road manners are different than mine, or any group I've ever ridden with. Around these parts, the Saturday morning Rouleurs never stop at stop signs when there aren't cars present. Doubt you do too. When I hear emergency vehicles approaching, I've never once assumed they were coming for me, and by the time I can get stopped, they're past. And, I can't hear verbal commands when sirens are glaring.

Good thing we have body cameras! Why did cop cover his? Why did he turn off sound? Looks to me as if he was hiding things. I'll wager that those who believe we should have a smaller government are the same as those who defend overreach of power by cops.

Pic 1, covering the body cam
Pic 2, spittin' his chew like a good 'ol redneck should
Pic 3, interesting juxtaposition of Old Glory: "Freedom isn't free"
Pic 4, cop who arrested cyclist, begins texting while driving immediately after
I watched the same video you watched.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:20 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
I'll wager that those who believe we should have a smaller government are the same as those who defend overreach of power by cops.
I'll take that bet.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Pic 2, spittin' his chew like a good 'ol redneck should
Dude. The biggest problem I see is your holier than though sentiment of "he's guilty and anyone who thinks otherwise is a 'smaller gov' type".....you ain't being coy pal, we know what you mean.

I'm not justifying the cops actions, by any means....but you're just as bad as he is by issuing the "redneck" insults.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 PM

Excellent work deputy fife!

That's just lousy. Cops in Chicago assume you are rolling the signs.

Dislike.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:52 PM

Dude can we just stop with the name calling and the Barney Fife, and Redneck and Powertrip insults?

If someone were to break into your house, or your car, or vandalize your property who is the first number you'd call???..........yeah, thought so
Old 02-11-2020, 10:59 PM

It was clear that it was the rider in the yellow (Lopez) who was the first to violate the stop sign and was then ordered to stop.
It is grainy footage but it does appear that Lopez looked toward the cop just before disappearing behind the hedges.
So obviously he became the perp at that moment since the cop was focused on him, again because he led the way and ignored an order to stop while making apparent eye contact, not because of his ethnicity.
The video poorly conveys how close that the cop was to the two who brazenly tried to flee. OBVIOUSLY the riders could hear the command and were already aware that their violation was being scrutinized at that very moment in time.

Think about how hard it is to be an accurate witness in any situation, but much harder and perhaps less effective to try witnessing/scrutinizing two suspects at the same time. The lead rider therefore was the one who was precisely witnessed in multiple violation of the law.

Again, silly of anyone to try making this seem "racial", though I have to wonder how it would have gone for him (or anyone else) doing these same things back home in Puerto Rico. It seems to me that he simply made a very wrong assumption as to the Florida officer's seriousness at doing his job, but then really screwed up when he pretty much thoroughly "diss'd" the officer again.
He did seem less than clear-headed to me, so I think adrenaline+hypoxia is a factor, as well as the hinted-at neurological impact of a supposed brain tumor.

I'm impressed though how far up the road that the adrenaline got those two fleeing cyclists!
Good acting too! (who, me?)
LOL
Old 02-11-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Dude can we just stop with the name calling and the Barney Fife, and Redneck and Powertrip insults?

If someone were to break into your house, or your car, or vandalize your property who is the first number you'd call???..........yeah, thought so
Are you equating a roll through of a stop sign with burglary or vandalism? The cop was out of line. Yes, that's my opinion, which will likely be shared by the Prosecutor and/or Judge. Wanna take that bet?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:

What about Roscoe P Coltrane?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Are you equating a roll through of a stop sign with burglary or vandalism? The cop was out of line. Yes, that's my opinion, which will likely be shared by the Prosecutor and/or Judge. Wanna take that bet?
I absolutely hope that the prosecutor, judge, and Sheriff sit the guy down and say "what the H were you thinking" and he gets a teachable moment.

Am I equating a roll through to burglary or vandalism?? Cmon man.....of course not. I'm saying why bash and demean the same folks you (and I) call when in time of need.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:

I predict that the "kid" will walk.

But, you'll never know WHY the kid finally walks, because discussions of a young man's neurological issues (if these are found by the court to credibly exist) will be totally private.

And which will just go to show how much respect that suspects are afforded in this country, part of why so much time goes by in court cases where in many instances suspects are allowed sufficient time to demonstrate that they can stay out of trouble, before their case disposition is reached.

Young offenders may actually mature during such a waiting period, so for the most part it's a good system.

Last edited by dddd; 02-11-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:

LOL You don't know me
Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I absolutely hope that the prosecutor, judge, and Sheriff sit the guy down and say "what the H were you thinking" and he gets a teachable moment.

Am I equating a roll through to burglary or vandalism?? Cmon man.....of course not. I'm saying why bash and demean the same folks you (and I) call when in time of need.
Fair enough, but can't you see the Barney Fife comparison has validity too? If I (we?) had my druthers, I'd hope someone with better judgement showed up in my time of need.

I get riled by hypocrisy of which there is abundance in this video:

The cop nails the cyclist for rolling through the stop sign, then moments later pulls out his cell phone and starts texting with both hands WHILE he's driving. Which is the bigger danger?

From the time he yells at them to the time they pull over, it's 11 seconds. Seems a stretch to call this an evasion attempt.

Why do we equip cops with body cameras? So they can cover them when it's inconvenient and turn them off when they don't want us to hear them?

And why does he arrest the Hispanic male, while both rolled through the sign and "didn't stop"? When he "orders" white male to come over ("That's an order!"), white male doesn't. Then white male says that he DID stop, when he clearly did not. Cop takes white male at his word, and lets him off. Easy to see why minority groups see this and feel singled out. One may not feel this is racism (opinion), but these are the facts. Interpretations may differ, but it's easy to see how another side can interpret these facts differently. Bizarre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riders.jpg (65.3 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by mistermo; 02-12-2020 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:

So now we can't criticize LEOs because if we do we might hurt their feelings and they might not do their jobs and respond when a real crime is being committed?

So it's come to blackmail and threats - allow the cops to harass cyclists as they please, because if you don't, they won't protect your home.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:46 PM

body camera footage from seminole county arrest of cyclist

Calling out bad behaviour is not demonising someone, it is only judging the specific behaviour in question.
The fact you call the cops if someone burgles your home does not mean you should hold cops to a lower standard, in fact it’s the opposite.
When I hear people making excuses for looking the other way with many powerful groups ( church, law enforcement, politicians, blaw blaw blaw ), I feel it’s total BS! When an individual makes a group look bad they need to be help to account by that group, if the group fails to do this the group is complicit. If the group try’s to cover up or hide the behaviour they are complicit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 12:06 AM

differing perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
That's not quite accurate. He told the kid he was cuffing him, but didn't arrest him until after the kid resisted getting cuffed. Cuffing someone would be SOP if the cop thought he/she might flee, which the cop clearly thought he had already tried to do. The cop may have overreacted, but he's not entirely wrong.
I hear the cop talking about resisting, but see no credible evidence of it. I admit I am suspicious because the audio was off and vid incomplete, and also because in high school I had a cop try to railroad me into a larger offense, citing speed and recklessness, when he was not even present for my accident. I argued with him, which only made him worse, and it took my passenger and several bystander witnesses to back him off, and he followed me for months afterwards. Next at a sobriety check where i was the designated driver i was taken in when a friend of my friend, who we offered to take home, unbeknownst to us had pot, and she panicked at the stop. The cop marked/used all the buzzwords about pupils and slurred speech etc when none were present. Just a huge hassle, to deal with. So, I look for LE to be professional, and at least behave better than suspects. This guy doesn't, and the hypocrisy present in his texting while driving, with a teenager, is just more egregious. I won't argue others can't just accept this behavior, but i will always wish they wouldn't.
Closed Thread