Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 06:51 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Interesting. I was about to ask what states recognize that but found it after quick search
AZs iteration of the Idaho stop is basically nothing from my understanding. Basically we can go through a red at an intersection with no traffic only when the sensors don't register our presence. Good luck finding a cop who will agree with your decision to use that part of the law, especially in Oro Valley.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:56 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
Cops are people, some good, some bad, just like all of us.
AND, I know they chose this line of work. But! having to deal with people usually at their worst for the most part, and folks that want to kill you just because [pick a reason]...

Well that can't have any kind of positive effect on ones position towards fellow man/woman et al.

Easier the spout 'professionalism' than to be professional all the time it seems.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:06 PM

The deputy kept saying that the cyclist had committed a felony. Is this really a felony, not a misdemeanor?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
The deputy kept saying that the cyclist had committed a felony. Is this really a felony, not a misdemeanor?
Traffic offense is neither.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Traffic offense is neither.
I meant for not pulling over when demanded to do so, which the deputy claimed was a felony.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Resisting arrest can be a felony.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 PM

Me: (to DA)
You looked at the video yet?

DA:
Yes I did. Can’t see any evading. I’m going to dismiss this, its embarrassing.

Me:
Great, write it up.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
i can just see how the court proceedings will go:

judge: "son, motorcycles can be very dangerous, and evading an officer puts everyones lives in danger"

awkward silence

judge: "wait, this happened on a bicycle?? the kind you pedal?.....officer dumdum, are you suggesting this young man was attempting to make a run for it on a bicycle when you were in your truck?"

haha

seriously though, the frustrating part is that 18 year olds do really, really stupid, dangerous, reckless illegal stuff all the time. this is the hill the officer decides to make a stand? a kid riding cycles with his dad and other middle aged dudes?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:28 PM

I can't understand why he arrested one cyclist and let the other go. Both ran the stop sign, and neither came to a stop until the cop pulled over in front of both of them.

Deputy, addressing the second cyclist: "Did you stop for the sign?"
"Yes, I did." (Other cyclists: "Yes, he did.")
"All right, you're good then."

Last edited by fiamme red; 02-11-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:28 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Nothing I saw looks like resisting. Calling this fleeing is also thin. More like a misunderstanding. Certainly not something that would be prosecuted as a felony, if at all. This looks like a simple failure to stop for a sign with heavy handed enforcement.

With that said, if this were my kid he'd get grounded for running the stop sign.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:41 PM

I was pulled over for running a red light In Wheaton, IL. Had to take a day off work and cop showed to court. Judge heard my story, laughed, and told me to pay half of $100 fine. This was at 11pm with no cars in sight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2020, 07:52 PM

Let me get this outta the way, Louis, congrat's for trying to make this an ethnic/racial thread or whatever and get another discussion closed.

To me, everything I saw suggests that the perp did indeed attempt to flee and then did also resist arrest, after cursing at the cop no less.

I felt bad for the "kid"'s father. However, the claim that Junior needed medicine and (ostensibly) was recovering from a brain tumor is here-say that needs to be verified. People getting arrested, as well as their associates, are very often quite creative in their narratives, and quite prone to exaggeration! Young Lopez will have his day before the court. I hope that he appreciates this right!

The bike group did the defendant no favors by heckling the process, crowding in and making communication with the defendant difficult.

The cop was almost certainly assigned to the particular intersection in response to complaints, just like it works in my neighborhood. A lot of motorists and a few cyclists get off easy when they make the officer's job easy and safe instead of difficult, disruptive to the neighborhood, costly, and dangerous.
I've seen what happens to the ones who talk back or try to sneak away and it sure didn't matter what their ethnicity was!!! This young rider by appearances did both!
Some of you are acting like he was unnecessarily beaten. He wasn't.

As cyclists, remember that the traffic cops are in effect a psychological buffer between angry motorists and us. Imagine how things would be if all motorists saw cyclists never being held accountable at all for all kinds of traffic offenses that affect their commutes? Tacks left in the bike lane (or worse), anyone?

I haven't been through the intersection in question, so I can't say what issues might result from cyclists riding through as these guys did.
The cop did also run a stop sign, but that's part of any pursuit, big or small.

Some here are speculating that the cop's actions will make him look bad before his bosses or result in the sort of pay-out that municipalities too often have to shell out, but can we first wait to hear what the judge has to say after being presented with ALL of the evidence? If the guy really is suffering from a brain tumor, perhaps his arrest record will be expunged, but perhaps also his own safety on the road should come up as a factor in deciding the disposition (like, for his own good, if he is neurologically impaired).

Last edited by dddd; 02-11-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:18 PM

I guess I watched a different video than most of you. He blew the stop sign, he's wrong, he didn't pull over, he's wrong, he lied and said I didn't hear you, he's wrong, the bike "gang" confronting the cop, they're wrong. All the B.S. being spouted by others most likely escalated the situation. Let me ask you all this. When you are riding on the road and an emergency vehicle comes by with lights and siren on what do you do? I stop and put a foot down no matter what side of the road I'm on since in my mind that's the same as pulling over to let an emergency vehicle through. So....even if he "really" thought the cop was after "the other car" why did they not stop to let him go by? The cop actually seems pretty calm. Maybe, just maybe if everyone had quit trying to make excuses and owed up (You know be accountable for your actions) to being wrong the guy would have ultimately walked. Is this such a hard thing to understand anymore or is everyone so blinded by hatred for the police?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i can just see how the court proceedings will go:

judge: "son, motorcycles can be very dangerous, and evading an officer puts everyones lives in danger"

awkward silence

judge: "wait, this happened on a bicycle?? the kind you pedal?.....officer dumdum, are you suggesting this young man was attempting to make a run for it on a bicycle when you were in your truck?"
People flee on foot all the time ...
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 PM

woah

not sure how anyone can defend the cop here. 2 riders did the same thing, he stops them and then tells the non-white one, almost immediately, essentially "i'm arresting you", while still on his bicycle. It was only then any "***" language occurred, which is how I'd feel being arrested alone for something, when two of us did the same thing, and that was clear on the beginning of the video when the officer handed off his camera or whatever to the other guy. The arrest decision was made before anything was reasonably explained or discussed. Some people just double down on bad decisions when confronted with it. I always liked the 'broken windows' argument for policing, and this episode may typify an analogous issue to the systemic/culture aspect of the justice system. IF this is how law enforcement act in such a low key/low threat scenario, what does it mean for higher stress/risk scenarios...
Closed Thread