Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 07:04 PM

I did the rounds on LBS' for a few years, before concluding that they were all self-taught (and highly arrogant) wankers on low hourly rates who ultimately did not really care about their work (or take care of my bike).

One guy even tried to charge me $15 for "removing and reinstalling cassette" after replacing a broken spoke....

I eventually decided I could do just as well if I bought a few tools, and used the internet to find tutorials and documentation.

A few years later I've stripped and built multiple bikes, had a heap of fun in the process, got better results and saved a ton of money.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I did the rounds on LBS' for a few years, before concluding that they were all self-taught (and highly arrogant) wankers on low hourly rates who ultimately did not really care about their work (or take care of my bike).

One guy even tried to charge me $15 for "removing and reinstalling cassette" after replacing a broken spoke....

I eventually decided I could do just as well if I bought a few tools, and used the internet to find tutorials and documentation.

A few years later I've stripped and built multiple bikes, had a heap of fun in the process, got better results and saved a ton of money.
Well it sounds great that you took charge with your bicycle repair needs. Honestly it's completely in line with being an enthusiasts both on and off line. However I don't think that 15$ charge to replace a spoke seems so unreasonable as you describe. Honestly what can you get for service for that kinda money anyway in this day in age? You did say it included removing the cassette and I would think that if a spoke is replaced then a mechanic worth their grain of salt would at least check the wheel for true as well as spoke tension. Hey what do I know except to say that I invest three hours of backbreaking labor to earn 400$ earlier this evening and I basically roll up 5$ to 10$ bucks and figuratively throw those bills into the abyss just to leave my house on a daily basis.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:34 PM

I don't have a problem paying a bit of a premium to a lbs for something that I need NOW. The price quoted for an inner cable is very expensive and I would pass on purchasing from that shop as well as not stepping foot in the shop again if I had run into the same thing.

One of the things that I have been more aware of in a number of specialty retailers is that the employees in a fair number really don't seem interested in helping customers or potential customers. It's not all shops but there are enough that I've been in where it is noticeable.

Last summer we were visiting family in the Buffalo area and I took some time to check out a few shops. I'd been in some of these places and make a general rule of buying something. One of shops I walked into is very slick and cool. They have some great bicycles and gear. When I walked in they weren't busy and I walked around checking the place out for a fair amount of time. The issue I saw was that there were employees doing various busy work and although I had picked up a few items not once did anyone take time to ask if they could help. That's a customer service fail on a basic level. I put the items back and walked out.

I drove to another shop that was about as busy and was asked a few times if I needed any help by different employees. They weren't pushy or hanging over my shoulder but they "get" it. I ended up buying a pair of winter shoes they had in part due to how I was treated.

Many brick and mortar retailers complain that it's the internet. The internet is an issue to be sure. I will say that a good part of the problem though is a number of those same brick and mortar places have little interest in actually providing a reason for customers to shop at their location.

Last edited by parris; 02-09-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 PM

With it, the unwashed can shop purely on price... and expect everything else

Just an FYI, plumbers don't play that

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Internet on both accounts.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:46 PM

$15?

The horror, the horror

Quote:

Old 02-09-2020, 08:03 PM

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear

He wanted to charge an *extra* $15 for removing and reinstalling the cassette, that is over and above the amount we had discussed and agreed prior for the spoke and his time. He did so as he was running it through the till.... like "oh yeah I had to do this extra unexpected thing called removing the cassette which will cost you an extra $15"
Old 02-09-2020, 08:08 PM
Vendor

As someone IN the bike industry, it's 50% Trek and 50% the LBS.

I went to a local shop on a Sunday due to my needing a tube. I just happened to be out of them. I usually buy them 20 at a time. This dealer sells Trek, Specialized and Cannondale. They are independent but are are very much a Trek Store. They sell mainly Bontrager items. The tube I bought was a basic 700x28-38 Presta Valve tube. I was charged $10. Before tax. Now, every shop in my area, none of them have a professional courtesy discount. Which is not normal in general. But $10 for a tube, that's excessive. Especially for a normal weight tube. In this case, I know how much these tubes cost. They don't need to charge $10. But they do. And getting gouged like this is a reason people don't want to support bike shops. I understand the need to make money and be able to pay bills, but seriously?!

The dealer the OP mentioned should've asked what his buddy needed. Again, poor service and gouging people is just hurting the industry. But telling some people they are wrong is difficult.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear

He wanted to charge an *extra* $15 for removing and reinstalling the cassette, that is over and above the amount we had discussed and agreed prior for the spoke and his time. He did so as he was running it through the till.... like "oh yeah I had to do this extra unexpected thing called removing the cassette which will cost you an extra $15"
OK I can see that as it's unexpected and the irony is since you had removed the wheel from the bike I assume you could've removed the cassette too or at least you figure as if that was a needed step to get to the broken spoke replacement.

As an aside my experience is once one spoke goes there will be more to follow and pretty soon the rim too.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Went to get a new freehub body for a bontrager wheelset (which I’m sure uses either dt or novatec internals ) and a set of tubeless valves. $110 for the body, $40 for the valves. No discount, roughly 50% more than other retail comparables.
Don't feel bad. I bought four free hubs this past year for $200 each. Luckily, the fifth was free!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:08 PM

Curious about the professional courtesy bit? What's that mean and how is one supposed to know? $10 is fair IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
As someone IN the bike industry, it's 50% Trek and 50% the LBS.

I went to a local shop on a Sunday due to my needing a tube. I just happened to be out of them. I usually buy them 20 at a time. This dealer sells Trek, Specialized and Cannondale. They are independent but are are very much a Trek Store. They sell mainly Bontrager items. The tube I bought was a basic 700x28-38 Presta Valve tube. I was charged $10. Before tax. Now, every shop in my area, none of them have a professional courtesy discount. Which is not normal in general. But $10 for a tube, that's excessive. Especially for a normal weight tube. In this case, I know how much these tubes cost. They don't need to charge $10. But they do. And getting gouged like this is a reason people don't want to support bike shops. I understand the need to make money and be able to pay bills, but seriously?!

The dealer the OP mentioned should've asked what his buddy needed. Again, poor service and gouging people is just hurting the industry. But telling some people they are wrong is difficult.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:14 PM

$30 cables, $10 tubes, $15 to R&R a cassette, you'd have to sell a pile of these products and services even with a big mark-up.

Glad I'm not in the retail bike business, cheap, tough customers. This is a big cause of the demise of the LBS- IMO..
Old 02-09-2020, 09:22 PM

Peanut the way I took Velocipede's comment was that he's in the business but didn't get a discount for the tube.

When I was working as a mechanic years ago we and other shops would sell small parts and such at cost to the other shop or if needed employee for their personal rides. It didn't happen often but it was there.

There were also times when a specialty tool not normally used would happen. There's one shop that's been in the business forever where I grew up and I can remember calling over to see if they had a jig for mounting an obscure model ski binding. They did and let us borrow it. Things like that.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:41 PM

Where has been my experience when I've gone into a bike shop and left feeling like I got what I paid for. Sometimes bike shops are generous and would do lots of work for me for a little or no charge, other times they have been the opposite, charging a lot for a little or no work. Even within the same bike shop, I would never know what to expect until the work was complete and I was out the door. Ultimately that was why I learned to do my own work, because I was sick of the roller coaster ride of going to a bike shop.

Well I have no interest in starting my own shop, one idea that had crossed my mind was a bike shop that ran on membership fees. For a flat monthly rate, get most service for free and a discount on parts. This could provide steadier cash flow for the shops, encourage customer loyalty, and leave customers feeling better about themselves, knowing that when they go into the shop, they won't be taken for a ride
Old 02-09-2020, 09:46 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Internet on both accounts.
I'm not so sure. The bike industry marches forward, always demanding better equipment than was available last year. Since I switched to 9-speed they have come out with 10-speed, 11-speed and now 12-speed. With each change everything gets more expensive and wears quicker. Think about this: 5/6 speed Campagnolo Nuovo Record was made from 1967 to 1982 - that's 22 full seasons where nothing changed. Now a generation for equipment is 2 years. With each change comes greater demand on supporting parts like cables. I still run 9-speed, I can use $5 cables if I want to, they'll work just fine. Try that same cable with 11-speed and things don't work as well.

If people demand unrealistic performance (from parts that have very little to do with performance) than they should also expect unrealistic prices.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Well I have no interest in starting my own shop, one idea that had crossed my mind was a bike shop that ran on membership fees. For a flat monthly rate, get most service for free and a discount on parts. This could provide steadier cash flow for the shops, encourage customer loyalty, and leave customers feeling better about themselves, knowing that when they go into the shop, they won't be taken for a ride
One of the shops here offers annual service plans. It seems to work ...