Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 02:39 PM

I'm curious about how those advocating hydrogen here see it being generated, transported to fueling stations, and transferred and stored in vehicle "tanks". Are we envisioning multi-thousand psi storage tanks? Some type of liquified storage? Another type of chemical carrier?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:49 PM
Randomhead

I saw that hydrogen was being adopted on a large scale for vehicle propulsion somewhere, maybe in Norway?

Not that long ago, there was a lot of work in our department on fuel cells. All that work just went away overnight and those researchers switched to working on batteries. I guess it might come back. Too late for GM though
Old 02-08-2020, 03:00 PM

Cyclists and pedestrians should probably afraid of the electric Hummer. At least before when people where barreling down the road in their gigantic, tall, heavy, insulated tanks to soccer practice while playing on their phone and drowning out the sound of children, you could hear the engine coming.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:07 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Cyclists and pedestrians should probably afraid of the electric Hummer. At least before when people where barreling down the road in their gigantic, tall, heavy, insulated tanks to soccer practice while playing on their phone and drowning out the sound of children, you could hear the engine coming.
GM is just using their brand recognition. It will not be some monster suv.
They rushed the ad out to compete with the F150 EV media blitz.

Hummer will probably be their EV brand for trucks/suv's. It's a clever marketing scheme, to go from the worst to the best emissions scheme.

Ford did the same by using the Mustang brand for their EV.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:27 PM

Great to see demand for vehicles like this to put a damper on countries like Canada/USA producing ethical oil, ramping up demand for cobalt to keep the kids employed in the Congo.

I'm all for the development of EV's, but gluttony is gluttony. When you have an EV that likely uses 3x the resources to build and operate compared to something more modest it kinda trumps the reason to own one, IMO...

Last edited by adub; 02-08-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:48 PM
Administrator

As an aside, the original Hummer and the variants were actually very good off-road vehicles...which they were intended to be. Then they became a weird status symbol by people who blinged them up and never took them off-road. The original look, most people either loved it or hated it...not much inbetween. Gas guzzlers? Not great but the Toyota Landcruisers and other 4x4's weren't any better.

W.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post

I'm all for the development of EV's, but gluttony is gluttony. When you have an EV that likely uses 3x the resources to build and operate compared to something more modest it kinda trumps the reason to own one, IMO...
you have to think outside of your own circumstances. sure econo-boxes serve many people the best, but surely you can accept that there are needs beyond which a nissan leaf can provide right?

what about someone who owns a landscaping business, routinely hauls heavy equipment etc to make a living? is it gluttony that this person needs a truck, and maybe now can choose an EV over an F250?
Old 02-08-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

what about someone who owns a landscaping business, routinely hauls heavy equipment etc to make a living? is it gluttony that this person needs a truck, and maybe now can choose an EV over an F250?
Not in my experience.

Our family owns a hardscaping company and I doubt they would take a reach on a first gen electric truck.

A RAM 2500/3500 or a F-250 would be the best choices, especially on a reliability basis.

I've never seen a Hummer operated by a local company. Hardly a reliable vehicle, they were an electrician's nightmare. Tranny issues as well.

I just don't trust Hummer to put a reliable vehicle out the door on the first shot.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Not in my experience.

Our family owns a hardscaping company and I doubt they would take a reach on a first gen electric truck.

A RAM 2500/3500 or a F-250 would be the best choices, especially on a reliability basis.

I've never seen a Hummer operated by a local company. Hardly a reliable vehicle, they were an electrician's nightmare. Tranny issues as well.

I just don't trust Hummer to put a reliable vehicle out the door on the first shot.
oh i agree with you. i was just illustrating that not everyone is best served by econo-box EV's.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:42 PM

I’ll just opine that this is what I like so much about this forum — I Have instinctively had many of the thoughts expressed, but in reading have learned a lot about things I hadn’t really considered, folks have brought a range of expertise to bear, and the conversation has had good give and take.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
oh i agree with you. i was just illustrating that not everyone is best served by econo-box EV's.
Right on!

I think everyone has to take a hard look at prices to acquire vs price to maintain.

A RAM 2500 is a great truck with a decent warranty.

If a company owner bought five of these to use for their crews, there would be zero second thoughts.

Initial warranty is just fine and they are as tough as nails.

Not too bad to hitch up a Lund fishing rig to as well.

imho Hummer has to prove themselves. I won't jump on a bandwagon based on a press release.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=gomango;2654722

I just don't trust Hummer to put a reliable vehicle out the door on the first shot.[/QUOTE]

I kinda doubt if the new EV Hummer will resemble the old one in any way....under the skin anyway. With probably no parts the same. Just the name. And there is no way to judge the initial reliability.

At any rate.....can't see how any tradesman would choose one. However...do see a market from suburbanites whose idea of rough terrain is a dirt driveway. Or who just want to portray a tough appearance.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:01 PM

Wasn't the hummer a civilian version of military transport vehicle?
Old 02-08-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
you have to think outside of your own circumstances. sure econo-boxes serve many people the best, but surely you can accept that there are needs beyond which a nissan leaf can provide right?

I agree, but the Hummer brand is not about being a utilitarian work/service vehicle.

Talking about doing the right things for climate change and actually doing something are two very different things. An EV with up to 4 electric motors in it, 0-60 in 3 seconds, a battery 4x the size of one in a "regular" EV, is not a move in the right direction- IMO

No different than a well to do family with a 5000s/f house as a primary home, a condo in Maui they fly to, and a ski condo in Aspen they spend a few weeks in the winter at. But hey, they are doing the right thing for climate change because they drive a tesla, compost, recycle and don't use plastic straws.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
a little dramatic, dont you think?
No....I don’t think so. It’s a huge, wide and heavy vehicle that will be generally driven by rich jerks that can’t handle a few second delay a pedestrian or cyclist will cause them.