Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post

.... the Onesto might make your MRB redundant. You’d have to sell it to me
Nah, it's additive. The Onesto would be fit in person and designed for more aggressive days - different clearances, different fork, different tubing choices, different angles and BB drop, etc.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:22 PM

I will throw this out there as reference point. I sold two different rim brake Kirks last year and basically recouped my cost on both. I had the opportunity to ride them for a while and pass them along without any issues. Clearly these are exceptional bikes, but as with anything they were priced well within the current market when I bought them and I priced them well when selling.

I picked up a rim brake Campagnolo 8spd Columbine this past year for around $1,500. It is one of the nicest steel frames I have owned and it is a very nice riding bicycle. Although I am trying to get down to one road/gravel bike I don’t want to just give it away and take a bath. It seems I overpaid given the recent bike pricing, but they don’t pop up often and I will get my $1,500 out of it in miles if it doesn’t sell.

I like fat tires and disc brakes as much as anybody, but a good rim brake equipped road bike with 23-25mm tires is still wonderful to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 10:01 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Same....
Wait. We're supposed to ride them??

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 10:57 PM

I actually just think the market is low right now. I’ve seen some great deals on disc bikes as well. Race season will probably bring the allure back. When people start crashing and can’t just replace a cable or adjust brakes on the fly, rim brakes will come back.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 PM
ZhugeLiang

I stopped engaging myself in the market about six months ago - that means, no more buying or selling.

Total freedom.

Don't know what's happening in the market.

Don't care.

Just ride, ride, ride.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:18 PM
Imshi Cycles

Hydro works great...until it doesn't, then it's just a huge pain in the ass.

Rim brakes should never go anywhere for road riding, they work fine and look classy. Disc brakes are hard to make look classy (on a road bike).

FWIW, I just bought a couple new rim brakes bikes for road use and yes, they seemed quite cheap for what they are...I'm not complaining though
Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post

I hope there’s still some love out there for nice 1970s road bikes will take 32 mm tires.
Well, there's at least a market of one, as you saw on my post over on the iBob list...
Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 AM

In the "road" market, I think it's a confluence of carbon rims, wide tires/aero, and through-axels.

If I were to buy a new bike today and wanted carbon rims, why wouldn't you go with disc brakes and open up the possibility of wider tires and eliminate the risks of brake fade / poor braking / rim delamination? And if you're going with disc brakes on a new bike, why wouldn't you want through-axels?

If you're a racer-type and you've bought into the aero idea, you want deep-section rims. If you don't want a ton of weight, that means carbon. And now you're back to potential braking issues. And so discs.

Thankfully, I've given up on racing and am happy to enjoy spirited rides on beautifully simple and minimalist rim-brake bikes with aluminum shallow rims that are plenty light enough for me. That I can work on myself.

As with Weisan-pal, I'm trying to disconnect from the collecting/shopping side and focus more on riding. It's hard with all the "deals" out there, though, as the market keeps dropping.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
.. a good rim brake equipped road bike with 23-25mm tires is still wonderful to ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
.. happy to enjoy spirited rides on beautifully simple and minimalist rim-brake bikes with aluminum shallow rims that are plenty light enough for me.

^^ double cheers
Old 01-30-2020, 01:11 AM

Price going down?? then why the darn rims I like are still way too expensive? :P

What is going to suck for many is if HED tubular rim brake disappear. :/
Old 01-30-2020, 01:19 AM
ferro verum est

Since we're talking about investing in bikes and rim brake bike futures...

Rivendell should unveil a cryptocurrency

Grant-coin
Old 01-30-2020, 02:09 AM

In the last three years I've purchased three Moots (2 Compacts and a RSL) and a coupled Merlin. I wouldn't have been able to afford more than one (outfitted as they are) only a few years ago, even on the used market.

During that same time I purchased two disc brake bikes- a Lynskey gravel bike I haven't gotten around to finishing and a Moots Vamoots DR. The Vamoots wasn't the right bike for me, and the Lynskey probably won't be either (thus my lack of motivation). I like disc brakes just fine, but every frame I've had them on in the last ten years has been... wrong. Test rides on bikes people swear I will absolutely love have been underwhelming, or at least not impressive enough to have me make the considerable investment in switching over (I have a lot of wheels and other rim-specific/mechanical braking components).

I've spent a lot of money trying discs. Now I just focus on buying bikes that I want to ride. Lately that has been rim brake bikes. If it can fit a 25c tire on a wide rim, that's good enough for me.

There is a Seven on eBay that can only squeeze 23c tires on narrow rims. That bike is a very hard sale.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:29 AM

Need to quickly "de-wheel" front and rear on wife and my bike and put in car for quick trip. I never grab the disk bike, pain in !ss time wise compared to quick release rim brake. Never put my "good" bikes on top/back of car.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:58 AM

The resale market makes it hard to buy new bikes, for me, tho I am still tempted! (https://crustbikes.com/products/lightning-bolt-5/)

My "only" disc brake bike is my Crust Scapegoat. I have a Surly Pack Rat that I put a disc fork on for winter duty (salt, slush etc is harder to manage w rim brakes).
Old 01-30-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Wait. We're supposed to ride them??
Yes. We are indeed supposed to ride them.

There was a time in my life when I used to actually wear stuff out. Today that rarely happens and sadly, it's not because stuff is better made today than it used to be. It is better, but I ride less than half of the mileage I used to ride. This seriously bums me out.