Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Deconditioned!

Tell me about it. The demand seems VERY low. Could be time of year for half the country that is cold, wet, or both. OR seems like most (including here [not a criticism]) are looking for disc, bigger clearance and/or 650b (see disc).

The bikes I just sold didn't garner near the attention they would have in the past!

It's like the Moots I'm trying to sell has leprosy.

It's a fantastic time if one is buyer!!!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:17 PM
Administrator

i feel a little sorry for the people that got caught in between.

there was a short period where some really high end bikes were made with quick release wheels and discs, etc - those bikes really lost a lot of value quick.

as far as the rim brake revolution, i'm honestly shocked at how many people are dumping rim brakes. on this forum, it's typical to now here that people are going all disc etc.

i'm not sure i understand this. i can understand going disc if you are buying new, but to get rid of a good rim brake bike to switch to disc seems crazy to me, especially for road bikes.

i'm a rim brake lifer. bring on the deals!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:23 PM

I've recently switched back to rim from disc for road. I switched back because I could get an amazing deal on a (new) high end bike and a set of carbon wheels that I couldn't come close to getting on a Disc model of the same bike/wheels. I do worry about not being able to recoup much money when it comes time to sell and upgrade, but I saved so much on the front end it doesn't really matter. There was definitely a psychological hurdle of switching back to rim, but I ultimately haven't missed discs at all for the strict road riding I do on this bike.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:25 PM

I concur that a lot of rim brake bikes are plummeting, but I think most bikes plummet regardless. A $14,000 Spec/Trek/Cannondale loses at least 60% of its value on the used market from the jump. I think what’s happening is the market for high end or custom bikes on the used market don’t have as big of a target and those new or getting into the sport are looking for the latest and greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2020, 05:26 PM

Yeah I got caught in that It was easier to part my Parlee Z3 than sell it as a whole and I took a whooping all I was doing was to try and fund a new to me moots.... Crazy crazy crazy
Old 01-29-2020, 05:28 PM

If you ride your road bike on long distances, day in day out, i doubt the brake system there makes that much difference.
Now if your thing is buying and selling high end stuff then .. yes.. i see how all those tech changes affect your cycling hobby.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Barely Hanging On

It definitely seems like most people going for brand new bikes are favoring discs. I know I probably won't get another new frame (versus just new to me) that's not disc. I wonder if a lot of the people out there looking at bikes don't appreciate that rim brakes still work well. I note that it's overall a hard time to be selling non-new bike stuff, even things with discs.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:29 PM

The market for complete rim brake bikes is definitely brutal. Hard to make a value argument for a rim brake complete when it’s so easy to roll a new disc bike off a shop floor.

There are still plenty of people sitting on piles of parts so moving a group or frame individually isn’t so bad.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i feel a little sorry for the people that got caught in between.

there was a short period where some really high end bikes were made with quick release wheels and discs, etc - those bikes really lost a lot of value quick.

as far as the rim brake revolution, i'm honestly shocked at how many people are dumping rim brakes. on this forum, it's typical to now here that people are going all disc etc.

i'm not sure i understand this. i can understand going disc if you are buying new, but to get rid of a good rim brake bike to switch to disc seems crazy to me, especially for road bikes.

i'm a rim brake lifer. bring on the deals!
This

But also there are a lot of bikes in general that are hard to sell atm so not so sure its just about them beeing rim brakes.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Also Clean39T appears to have stopped buying bikes for the minute.

That has likely had a big impact on the market.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:42 PM

Now thats funny[

QUOTE=AngryScientist;2650502]Also Clean39T appears to have stopped buying bikes for the minute.

That has likely had a big impact on the market.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Also Clean39T appears to have stopped buying bikes for the minute.

That has likely had a big impact on the market.
Lolz.

Not sure I'll ever return to my previously promiscuous ways, but who knows. Right now I'm just dreaming about having the time and weather to ride the bikes I've got.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:55 PM
Deconditioned!

I'm not too upset. I've 1000% enjoyed the bikes I had (and still have). I accumulated too much. It was time to pass the goods along to others that would also enjoy them.

Caveat emptor does not overly apply right now. Get buyin'!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Right now I'm just dreaming about having the time and weather to ride the bikes I've got.
Same....
Old 01-29-2020, 06:04 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

I have descended some serious doozy mountains on roadbikes over the decades.
I have never felt concerned about my capability to safely stop a rim brake bicycle.