Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2020, 12:50 PM

I still like downtube shifters. I've been using either downtube or bar end shifters since the 70's . Something works for me I tend to stick with it.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Now that brifters are the de-facto standard on new bikes, you'd be surprised at the number of people who aren't comfortable riding with one hand off the handlebars.

I grew up with down tube (and stem mounted) shifters, but I don't miss them at all. Down tube shifters get the job done, but I find very much to like about brifters and little to dislike.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:24 PM

When I started riding and racing, DT shifters and bar-cons were the only thing available. The hot setup for crit racing in the late 80's was a DT front and a bar-con rear, just slide your hand back and two finger shift. My first SIS bike had 8S Dura Ace with DT and a year later I added STI levers and that was a big improvement, especially in sprints.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:31 PM

using downtube shifters is my favorite way to shift.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:32 PM

They aight
Old 01-29-2020, 01:37 PM

....as much as i like driving a car with a crash box transmission.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
Not a despair thing James, and I hope I haven't offended any down tubers.
They work fine, and faster and more precisely of course.
I'm just lazy.
No,no.... I'm not offended by anyone's comments.

I just don't see a big deal about using them. Even with the later comments about climbing with them. I don't race and climbing for me means miles up mountains, not hills. So I'm certainly not standing.

Of course, I also sometimes ride the Opus above on long climbs too despite only having a 42T small ring on it. Riding different setups just helps me keep enjoying the experience.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I'm waiting for the first person over 6' tall and 50 years old who says they truly enjoy riding with DT shifters (more so than brake/shift levers or bar ends).
OK I do. (6’2”, 51 y) just finished a ride on my 8 speed indexed DT Merckx. I truly enjoy them, but I wouldn’t say I like them more than brifters. I do like being able to shift my RD with my left hand and vice versa.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I'm waiting for the first person over 6' tall and 50 years old who says they truly enjoy riding with DT shifters (more so than brake/shift levers or bar ends).
I'm 6'3'', 58yo, DT controls on both machines.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:25 PM

Yes, I still enjoy my DT shifter bike. Still enjoy friction shifting too!
Old 01-29-2020, 02:25 PM

Yes. As long as the tires are quality and geometry of the bike is right i am enjoying the ride. Btw.. i have wrist pain from using brifters.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:35 PM

I'm well into my 50s and am a big fan, have DT shifters on 4 classic steel rides. DA 9/10 DT shifters are so crisp - bang snap!

For hilly rides? No big deal, maybe you mash out of the saddle a few more times that you would otherwise. You also learn to power up to rollers and mash over - a la fixed gear. You also learn how to power/spin up to the rollers and get in the right gear BEFORE you need it. And if the hill is long and steep and you need to shift out of the saddle, quick sit and snap and back to work. Big whoop!
Old 01-29-2020, 03:02 PM

I would think that those in their 50's who grew up using DT shifters would be far less against them then anyone who has never used them and is suddenly introduced to them. Furthermore I would think that those who are north of 6'0" would find it even easier with long monkey arms to reach the shifters.

I fit the bill and I have not problem with DT. Do I like them better? Not really but having raced bikes with both systems honestly I don't think I would loose a race because of the shifters. Modern ones obviously have an advantage but still.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I would think that those in their 50's who grew up using DT shifters would be far less against them then anyone who has never used them and is suddenly introduced to them. Furthermore I would think that those who are north of 6'0" would find it even easier with long monkey arms to reach the shifters.

I fit the bill and I have not problem with DT. Do I like them better? Not really but having raced bikes with both systems honestly I don't think I would loose a race because of the shifters. Modern ones obviously have an advantage but still.
I agree with you, grew up and raced on them as well. Never had a problem and don't to this day, but if I had to choose between ergos or DTs I choose ergo. DT shifters also mean (in most cases) skinny old school brake levers, these never worked well with my XXL hands. No problem with anyone lovin DT shifters, just not for me with the options that now exist.

My over 50 (I'm 55) and 6' (I'm 6' 5") comment had to do with my more upright riding position relative to my racing days. At 6' 5" DT shifters are now about a mile away from my bars, down by that bottle thing (what's that for?). Look at Angry's picture, his are, what, maybe 8" away.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:19 PM

I don't...
My only bike with DT shifters is my Trek 170 since I want to keep the way it left the factory.
Probably the main reason why I ride it less than I should.