Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
haha. not me! as i mentioned, i'm not really in the market for a new bike, and now that i have seen the geometry charts, i can confirm that these are not for me.
I presume from your comment you are not at all interested in a bike with upright handlebars. I am under the impression that has Grant has aged, his frame designed have properly followed suit to better fit higher handlebars or upright bars. Making a go-fast frame fit those purposes doesn't work well. As you hands go up (and maybe way up with upright bars) you butt goes back requiring slacker angles and longer chain stays. The emphasis switches from speed to comfort.

In my last frame building class I made myself a frame that I would describe as a "go for a walk" type of bike. Part of the learning process is watching the instructor do what what the student will be expected to do. Our city just finished the last section of a bike path close to me. I want to jump on a bike with street clothes and get a bit of fresh air when a brief amount of time is available. With upright handlebars i designed the frame with 71ยบ angles and long chainstays. Because it falls into the city bike catagory, I brazed on bits to attach a kick stand, ring lock and chain guard. This frame wouldn't work well with drop bars.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
I presume from your comment you are not at all interested in a bike with upright handlebars.
correct.

i can see where such a bike might be perfect/appealing to some folks, but i have no use case for one.