Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 10:40 PM

The I love Zwift thread

Ok, maybe loving Zwift is a bit much but I have found that it's been a great way for me to stay in shape and get stronger. That's great that some of you pride yourself in never touching the trainer and riding outside all year long but for many that's not reasonable or possible. For the past few years my coach has given me specific workouts that I've done inside but since I stopped working with him I've been using Zwift.

Zwift for me is all about the races. I'm up to 107 races completed and I've been loving them. They provide me with the motivation to get on a really push it. Days when I would have failed an standard interval workout I've had great workouts after pushing myself in a race. I've been able to sit in when tired or push the pace when I'm feeling strong. Honestly you can ride it like a real race.

I know people complain/worry about cheaters but I haven't had much trouble with it. Zwiftpower has the official results and weeds out most abnormal activity. Even in the race if someone rides away at an insane w/kg you don't worry about it you just continue racing, after all its just a workout.

The races start out at a crazy pace but tend to settle after a bit. This thins the group and sets things up nicely. I usually end up with IF of .85 or greater for each race. It's a great "kitchen sink" effort with almost no coasting.

My set-up is a Kickr '18 with my Quarq power meter on my bike. This has been working flawlessly thus far.

I see so many negative things written about Zwift here that I thought I'd try to have a place with some info for others that may have questions or be interested.

Post up if you're a Zwifter and have some tips or tricks to share.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:01 PM

Interesting
Are there categories or tiers? Or is it somehow handicapped thru the software?
Old 01-12-2020, 11:39 PM

Although i've done indoor training previously (always said that my $250 Minoura roller + resistance unit set up was the best bike related purchase I've ever made), Zwift makes indoor riding go by so much faster, especially in context of group rides.

the races are nice bonuses, so to speak. Yes, it's not that realistic (not enough drafting advantage, while simultaneously making group aerodynamics much more favorable compared to real life), it makes for a good hard workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
Interesting
Are there categories or tiers? Or is it somehow handicapped thru the software?
yes there are, largely along w/kg lines. Staggered starts, too (so the really fast B riders can't draft the coat tails of A riders)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:34 AM

Borrowed a smart trainer over the holiday season and ended up free riding for 30 minutes and doing an FTP ramp test just for laughs.

I have a background of not riding with any data on my bike for the last 6 years. I trained in college and burnt myself out doing 4+ hour indoor trainer rides when the weather didn’t allow me on the road.

My time on Zwift went much better than expected. Feeling resistance appear without grasping that visually through the EGR took a little getting used to. The FTP ramp test was difficult and rewarding.

It was very clear how this tool helps make strong riders. I have found myself considering one for the winter and complimenting it with some data on the road as well since my time with it. The racing is something I wish I could have experienced but could not organize my time.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:39 AM
ergottWheels

I'm also all in but don't race. Thing is, Zwift can be used so many different ways. I'm more of an ERG, and course rider. If I'm not on ERG for a specific workout (or to keep power in check) I pick a course and ride it. I can ride hills and mountains I have nowhere near me, getting a 30 mile ride with 3k climbing on a weeknight just won't happen outside. I genuinely enjoy it, I listen to a playlist while riding and tune out the world. Great escape and all the health benefits.

Yup, I'm a Zwifter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 06:57 AM

After my zillion year old Computrainer cr__ped the bed, I bought all the Wahoo stuff--Kickr, Climb, Wind, and even the desk setup. It seems like every user of Zwift does it a bit differently. I don't do the races and find myself riding much like Eric does. In addition, the last two winters I selected one of the pre-planned training courses on Zwift, designed by Marco Pinotti. You do 3-5 workouts per week, generally in the one hour time range, though some are longer. That little bit of structure has really made me better when the spring comes. For most of the last 10 years I've gone to Mallorca in the late spring and doing these Zwift programs have really helped me get ready. I still get outside as much as I reasonably can but that is often difficult.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
After my zillion year old Computrainer cr__ped the bed, I bought all the Wahoo stuff--Kickr, Climb, Wind, and even the desk setup. It seems like every user of Zwift does it a bit differently. I don't do the races and find myself riding much like Eric does. In addition, the last two winters I selected one of the pre-planned training courses on Zwift, designed by Marco Pinotti. You do 3-5 workouts per week, generally in the one hour time range, though some are longer. That little bit of structure has really made me better when the spring comes. For most of the last 10 years I've gone to Mallorca in the late spring and doing these Zwift programs have really helped me get ready. I still get outside as much as I reasonably can but that is often difficult.
I still need to be in touch about the Mallorca stuff......
Old 01-13-2020, 07:15 AM

Do it!
Old 01-13-2020, 07:18 AM

I’m a low-level Zwifter as well. This year I’ve upgraded my setup to run via Apple TV and a 46” TV. It is very satisfying to use now, though I’m hard pressed to find motivation for much more than an hour. But the large TV and running it via Apple TV makes for a nice, hi-def experience. I mostly ride alone and haven’t done a race. I have done some group rides with actual riding friends and they’re OK we’re pretty closely matched on the bike and similarly on Zwift.

I’d like to see Zwift continue to expand the universe and maybe even connect the worlds at some point on each course.

Additionally, I just got a new Wahoo Kickr and that is relevant here. I had been using a Gen 1 Kickr and this winter it has been inconsistent with speed and power and resets only helped for a short time or not at all. I will contact Wahoo for a refurbishment if that’s possible but in the meantime I picked up a new, current generation Kickr and the improvement is noticeable. It’s smooth, quiet and the flywheel is a bit heavier. My avatar does on screen what I’m doing on the bike and I feel the hills more realistically.

I don’t love Zwift per se, but it sure represents a massive improvement over the old alternative.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:59 AM

I started using Zwift with my (dumb) trainer (Garmin, Ant+ adapter on my Mac, feeding a flatscreen) and have been frustrated with the inconsistent data. I just added the Kurt Inride 3 and now seem to have more inconsistent data. I think I need to disable the Garmin cadence/speed sensor.

Separately, I'm using Zwift to train for a spring half marathon. I am using their 3X week running program (long day, intervals, tempo run, etc) and it's kicking my ass (in a good way). I'm running much more consistently on the treadmill, speedwise, than I do on the road. And the Garmin footpod works flawlessly with Zwift.

I'm hoping its a configuration issue for the bike trainer...we'll see...

Big floor fan and a good playlist, playing through stereo system, also help!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I started using Zwift with my (dumb) trainer (Garmin, Ant+ adapter on my Mac, feeding a flatscreen) and have been frustrated with the inconsistent data. I just added the Kurt Inride 3 and now seem to have more inconsistent data. I think I need to disable the Garmin cadence/speed sensor.

Separately, I'm using Zwift to train for a spring half marathon. I am using their 3X week running program (long day, intervals, tempo run, etc) and it's kicking my ass (in a good way). I'm running much more consistently on the treadmill, speedwise, than I do on the road. And the Garmin footpod works flawlessly with Zwift.

I'm hoping its a configuration issue for the bike trainer...we'll see...

Big floor fan and a good playlist, playing through stereo system, also help!
If you can, I would get a smart trainer. Even a cheap Tacx wheel on works well and will improve the experience. What I have just found that I didn't find online easily is that my new wheel off trainer (Wahoo Kickr Core) is much more responsive to efforts. I don't mean response to grade changes, i mean response to pedal input.

If you race, my previous trainer (Tacx Vortex) made it way harder for racing because of the delay to pedal input, but it was good for just riding.

Zwift has been a game changer for me this winter. I really like it and am glad I finally tried it. Only problem is the money I am spending dialing in my setup.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 AM

I agree with you. Love? No not really. But I can put up with it and that's HUGE for me in terms of winter indoor riding. The races are indeed a great way to stay motivated. It's a huge carrot at the end of the stick.

I've done a lot of work in Virtual Worlds and have read a lot about the psychology in said worlds and it's known that a user in a VW that becomes truly immersed is about 90% there. They have done brain scan studies that show that parts of the brain react exactly the same as though the immersed viewer was in the real world. So there is something to be said about that.

The training plans in zwift are also very good and help keep your motivation up too.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:27 AM

new to zwift in 2020

right now i'm a basic-level zwifter.

kinetic dumb trainer + powertap wheel, so i can get real speed/power data. havent yet done any group rides or specific courses, i just ride whatever course zwift offers up at that moment. still getting used to all the augmented-reality feedback and dialing in my trainer setup to accommodate a laptop in front of me that works with my cooling fans.

i have a new tacx neo2t sitting in my pain-cave awaiting arrival of a cassette so i can add that to the virtual riding experience.

i think i'll be using zwift for more visual stimuli in my structured workouts, to provide added stimulus and defer trainer burnout. looking to incorporate races at some point as well. interested in trying out Rouvy to experience historic climbs. also considering RGT to see what i'd be like to sit in and ride a Pro-Tour peloton.

i'll be following this thread for new thoughts/experiences!

Last edited by wallymann; 01-13-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:32 AM

I heart Zwift too. Last week I added a KICKR Climb to my setup, they were on sale after xmas. My setup is a ten year old Serotta Fierte Ti with first gen Chorus 11 and an Ultegra chain on the 11-28 105 cassette. I use a compact crankset. I have a rubber mat under the bike and currently use a tv tray for a table but I'm getting a taller table so it's more useful. I'm tall. I have a Beelink fanless CPU with a 4K video card with wireless keyboard/mouse that I got for $175 that is dedicated for Zwift and connects via HDMI to my 50" 4K TV. I have a Bluetooth soundbar for the TV that I use with my phone when I ride so I can listen to one of my Spotify channels.

I don't do any of the texting or that other stuff during races or rides. I just pay attention to my cadence and wattage. I try not to gap on the climbs but if I do, I'm in my living room, it'll be fine.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:56 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Zwift user here, mostly for group rides but have done the races too. Great competition and multiple groups to jump in for a ride at any level.

I recommend the mobile companion app for scheduling rides/races as well as a nice fan.
Apple TV 4K user and 32" flat screen makes things easy, although i wish the AppleTV app had more screen customization options like the desktop app. Screen placement and fan placement are key for keeping that neck from getting sore and also for maximum airflow.

Wahoo Kickr user, but I've also used an older Tacx Vortex wheel on smart trainer and it was fantastic for ~$225

Current Setup:

Last edited by kppolich; 01-14-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Tags
zwift