Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Kinetic InRide and iPad

I have a first generation Kinetic Rock and Roll (the blue one). Can I install an InRide sensor on it and connect to Zwift using an iPad?

Anyone doing this?
Old 01-08-2020, 10:07 AM

The trainer roller needs to have a hole for the magnet to mount in. The early trainers did not have this hole. See details here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/06/...oth-smart.html

That said, I don't know why you could glue a magnet in the same place the hole would be. Your tire should never be that close to the flywheel.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
The trainer roller needs to have a hole for the magnet to mount in. The early trainers did not have this hole. See details here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/06/...oth-smart.html

That said, I don't know why you could glue a magnet in the same place the hole would be. Your tire should never be that close to the flywheel.
Thanks. I wondered about that.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:40 PM

Or you can also buy a wahoo speed cadence sensor and put it on the bike...that will take you on zwift...
Old 01-08-2020, 01:52 PM

Useful thread for me with my Kinetic Road Machine.
I've been using Zwift with my HR strap, crank arm cadence sensor, and speed sensor on the wheel hub. Just letting Zwift's built-in power curve for my trainer do the calculations. That DC Rainmaker article convinced me to get the InRide sensor so I could actually have calibrated and consistent results. Mine is the green version with the hole already there for the magnet.

I'm currently running through an Apple TV, which doesn't support ANT+. I don't think iPads support ANT+ either (double-check that) so if you were to use basic/older ANT-only (non-BT) speed & cadence sensors you would need a CABLE bridge to get those sensors talking to the Apple device via bluetooth. The CABLE bridge costs more than the InRide sensor which supports bluetooth on its own. Kinda wish I had known about the InRide sensor a year ago.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:47 PM

I have an early (grey) Kinetic trainer. Just installed an InRide 3 on it yesterday. As long as roller has a hole, it will take the rubber plug and magnet.

You could probably stick any small rare earth magnet on a trainer roller and position the pickup appropriately. You'd then just need to calibrate the app for the roller diameter.

InRide 3 does both BT and Ant+. I'm using an Ant+ USB adapter with my Mac laptop, which then connects to my flatscreen...

Those small rare earth magnets, by the way, are great low profile replacements for a cadence magnet ziptied to the crank arm. Stick one on the inboard side of the pedal spindle and reposition your pickup.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 01-09-2020 at 10:00 AM.