Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2019, 08:34 AM

I love Campagnolo's offerings myself. And with Shimano shooting itself in the foot by restricting sales from the European sites it makes Campagnolo even that more attractive!
Old 12-27-2019, 08:42 AM

My prediction: cantilever brakes make a comeback in a couple years, touted as " easy to maintain rim brakes that can handle 40mm tires".
Old 12-27-2019, 08:44 AM

I do not think 100% it is a thing that movistar dumped campagnolo, probably sram gave them a better deal and that saved them probably more money and that's why they went sram.

As for campagnolo missing the bus, I do not know what to tell you. Is not that you can not built a 1x with campagnolo parts, actually you can. And the italians know that and knowing them probably that's the reason they havent built anything else.

Always you can use a wolftooth if you need more capacity aswell.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=229489&page=2

The other detail, campagnolo was made in the road and sure they have a lot of experience in MTB and CX and based on that there is a slight chance that they are thinking in the giant jumps between cogs you have in those 1x systems. Personally I do not like them and many people here i remember can't understand them and well campagnolo could be saying the same and that's why they do not see the necesity because they find them ridiculous specially when they have stuff that works all the time.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I did a gravel race using Campagnolo components intended for the road, and they did outstanding.

Gravel specific drivetrains are a desperate plea for money.
The bike industry has been gooned up for years. Purpose driven bikes, that ya GOTTA have is nothing new. 'Standard set' is marketed so unless you have it, CANNOT ride that bike on 'gravel'.
-1by
-TA hubs
-disc brakes
-uber low gearing
-tubeless and fat, gotta be tubeless and fat
-fat oversized forks

now 'dropper seat posts(yikes)...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-27-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:50 AM

I ran a medium cage Chorus 10 on my CX bike for several years, with a, shutter... modified FSA 1X crank. It worked fine. And that was way back in the "Dark Ages" of 2003. How I survived is beyond me...
Old 12-27-2019, 08:52 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
The entire bike Industry is a desperate plea for money.

Would agree.

ps

arrange disorder

Old 12-27-2019, 08:57 AM
Imshi Cycles

The reality is that different segments of the industry have a different priority of needs for their intended use.

For example - I don't give 2 sh*ts about how huge the jumps are between my cassette cogs but I LOVE the idea of a wheelset that uses the same spoke length front and rear, drive and nondrive...and a 31.8mm trigger shifter mount makes my heart flutter. These things have obvious and exciting benefits to me that may not occur to someone else who has no interest in spending hundreds of miles in the actual middle of nowhere.

I saw dropper seatposts mentioned...let me say a few words on the subject. I started this year with a dropper, which I didn't really use much (I didn't understand the benefits fully yet) until breaking it and replacing it with a (rigid) Thomson. It was warrantied and then sat in a box for the remainder of the year.

For the longest time having the saddle dropped felt weird, like a missing limb almost, but the arguments FOR a dropper became harder and harder to deny. Having your weight on your FEET (NOT your saddle) lowers your center of gravity which increases traction and stability on loose surfaces. Droppers not only give you the ability to get the saddle out of the way (been punched in the gut a few times this year thanks to not having a dropper), they also FORCE your weight onto your feet...where it should be. Of course this is all mtb talk, for gravel a dropper is pretty stupid.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 12-27-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:09 AM

Campy is keeping literally millions of bike racers from ever experiencing gravel racing.

Shame really.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Campagnolo is an european brand. Is gravel that popular in Europe? Is cycling as popular in the US as in Europe? Sincere questions.

Important. Campy seemed to work on the white roads fine, and Europe is far more tame and way less "wild" than North America. Europe's roads, tracks, and byways have been seeing traffic for thousands of years and bike trekking on roads and tracks there is culturally a thing, whereas road riding will get you killed here. Drivers seem to feel and enjoy the same Wild West experience every day on their way to In-n-Out Burger, that we're chasing on gravel roads. Inverse relationship between the advent of smart phones and the health of the road scene here, maybe? I've all but abandoned road, in favor of MTB, with gravel when I can. Seems like it depends on how much of the North American market Campy needs to command to stay alive. We're Norte Americanos, mostly. They may be looking at their European sales and how riding is going over there and not be worried a bit.

Last edited by zambenini; 12-27-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:19 AM
Administrator

i think campy is keeping pace nicely with mild gravel offerings.

i was pleasantly surprised when they introduced a sub-compact offering in chorus, and cassettes with a 32 large cog.

i do believe that they will see that sub-compact crank was their feeler to dip the toe in the water of lower gearing, and they'll see it sells well and is in demand, which will pave the road (haha) for more low gear range offerings.

they'll get there, but for now, for me personally, i'm satisfied with the options they currently offer.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:20 AM

IMO, the only thing that really matters in gravel rides/racing are wheels and tires. You can make anything else work. I did a year of racing on a Gunnar Crosshairs with TRP mini V's, 8S Dura ace STI, and a 12-26 cassette, basically just a cross bike. I like my Coconino gravel bike with disc brakes and such, but I'm not any faster.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
IMO, the only thing that really matters in gravel rides/racing are wheels and tires. You can make anything else work. I did a year of racing on a Gunnar Crosshairs with TRP mini V's, 8S Dura ace STI, and a 12-26 cassette, basically just a cross bike. I like my Coconino gravel bike with disc brakes and such, but I'm not any faster.
See for me, my priority is never "being faster" on gravel/mtbs...it's serviceability, simplicity, functionality. Parts that work well, are hard to break, and easy to fix. Also traction, traction is important
Old 12-27-2019, 09:47 AM

Not all areas have gravel roads to explore. I live in a rural area of northern Colorado, but the only gravel roads are short stretches of road through private neighborhoods. Nothing exciting about that. To ride mtb, my neighbor makes a 20 mile round trip in his truck, just to get to the start of a good trail. I make that same trip, part of one of my regular road bike routes. I like riding from my house, not packing the bike up to travel to the start of a ride.

I do have Campy's latest low gear offering - the new Chorus 12 speed 48/32 with 11-34 cassette. That works great for the steep hills in my area.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
See for me, my priority is never "being faster" on gravel/mtbs...it's serviceability, simplicity, functionality. Parts that work well, are hard to break, and easy to fix. Also traction, traction is important
For me, survival is important.

for many of the gravel rides i do, if i were on old 8-sp stuff with a low gear of 39/28 or some such nonsense, i could not finish.

sub 1:1 gearing has allowed me to ride longer rides, and be happier doing it.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post

And, by the way, Movistar just dropped Campy in favor of Sram...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As stated, this has zero to do with one performing better than the other.
My .02