Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2019, 07:27 AM

Campagnolo Gotta Wake Up!

With gravel race circuit pretty much as popular as ever, and pros even abandoning the pro peloton tour in order to race gravel I simply cannot understand why Campagnolo remains so behind.
I get it they all race oriented, but guess what? The most captivating races happens to be gravel races these days. Pros DO race gravel and with many bikes Campy is simply not an option due to their limiting gear range and the lack of a 1x or clutch RD.

I was a big die hard Campagnolo, spending extra to equip my frames with Campy but, as it is now, there is simply no product matching my requirement.

It would be so damn easy to introduce a rear derailleur with some clutch mechanism and those guys never listen to what the average use needs/wants.

And, by the way, Movistar just dropped Campy in favor of Sram...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2019, 07:32 AM

I think 1x is overrated. That said i think campy should cast a wider net so i agree.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:51 AM

Campagnolo is an european brand. Is gravel that popular in Europe? Is cycling as popular in the US as in Europe? Sincere questions.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:52 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I think 1x is overrated.
Agreed, it has jumped the shark (thanks to the industry). But it existed for a LONG time in CX before SRAM decided to mainstream it...so I'd argue it was UNDER-RATED far longer.

1x on "road racing bicycles" is stupid. Maybe for crit racing where you are in your big ring all day anyways it works but otherwise it's dumb.

For gravel/mtb I appreciate the reduced complexity of 1x and will likely never go back.

Definitely agree campy is far behind the curve for some unexplainable reason...
Old 12-27-2019, 07:56 AM

Let's translate but using the same logic

Porsche is so behind. The future is electronic and Tesla has the inroad here. I get tit, Porsche is a driver's car, but I want electric so I am have no choice in Porsche.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:04 AM

I find their 12-speed road stuff intriguing.

Don’t they now make a gravel-ratio crankset? 48/32? Wide cassettes and hydraulic brakes that are highly rated?

What more do folks want from a gravel setup?

Personally I have zero interest in a 1x system anyway.

I have enough bikes and am halfway tempted by some of Campagnolo’s offerings to get back with their brand.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
What more do folks want from a gravel setup?
Dirt roads and trails are bumpy...chains don't do well with constant bumps/vibration. Shifting and chain retention are adversely effective by a chain that is flapping all over the place, not to mention the constant noise of the thing hitting your chainstay. 1x systems eliminate that via a clutch RD which maintains chain tension over rough stuff.

Sometimes things break. Pavement usually means civilization and civilization means easy assistance from other human beings. Gravel/dirt means exactly the opposite. By removing a possible point of failure (the FD) a 1x drivetrain becomes just a little more "bulletproof" and field-serviceable should the sh*t hit the fan in the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:14 AM

Chorus is now positioned as the Campagnolo gravel group.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
Let's translate but using the same logic

Porsche is so behind. The future is electronic and Tesla has the inroad here. I get tit, Porsche is a driver's car, but I want electric so I am have no choice in Porsche.

On sale starting December 2019. Tesla was one of the leaders for sure but Porsche gives you a choice, for a price.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
Dirt roads and trails are bumpy...chains don't do well with constant bumps/vibration. Shifting and chain retention are adversely effective by a chain that is flapping all over the place, not to mention the constant noise of the thing hitting your chainstay. 1x systems eliminate that via a clutch RD which maintains chain tension over rough stuff.

Sometimes things break. Pavement usually means civilization and civilization means easy assistance from other human beings. Gravel/dirt means exactly the opposite. By removing a possible point of failure (the FD) a 1x drivetrain becomes just a little more "bulletproof" and field-serviceable should the sh*t hit the fan in the middle of nowhere.
Fair enough on the clutched derailleur. And I'll defer to those who know more than I know about 1x systems, but I don't see myself going that route anytime soon. That said, I don't do a ton of gravel riding.

Their Chorus groupset is pretty interesting and can be gotten with a hydraulic brake. Could be the setup for my Indy Fab, which has an early Shimano 9000 group I use with TRP Spyres and the whole setup works well but it's also getting a bit tired.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWhale View Post
On sale starting December 2019. Tesla was one of the leaders for sure but Porsche gives you a choice, for a price.
More limited range than a Tesla from what I understand. But Porsche has the resources of the VW group behind them, and that is very substantial.

I recently bought some Tesla stock. We'll see if that was smart or dumb....!!
Old 12-27-2019, 08:28 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
More limited range than a Tesla from what I understand. But Porsche has the resources of the VW group behind them, and that is very substantial.

I recently bought some Tesla stock. We'll see if that was smart or dumb....!!
Everyone says "electric cars are the future" without stopping to consider the future of the massive batteries these cars use...and the extremely limited range/infrastructure...not to mention the "dirty" sources of a large percentage of the electricity used to charge these "green" vehicles.

Electric may be a part of the future but only for those who can afford it and have needs that can accept the limitations. Personally, I think the real future can only really exist in alternative "green" fuels that can run emissions-free in the millions of existing gas/diesel engines using the infrastructure that already exists all over the world.

Starting from scratch with electric is just not a viable option on a global level. And electric is a "solution" to a global problem.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
With gravel race circuit pretty much as popular as ever, and pros even abandoning the pro peloton tour in order to race gravel I simply cannot understand why Campagnolo remains so behind.
I get it they all race oriented, but guess what? The most captivating races happens to be gravel races these days. Pros DO race gravel and with many bikes Campy is simply not an option due to their limiting gear range and the lack of a 1x or clutch RD.

I was a big die hard Campagnolo, spending extra to equip my frames with Campy but, as it is now, there is simply no product matching my requirement.

It would be so damn easy to introduce a rear derailleur with some clutch mechanism and those guys never listen to what the average use needs/wants.

And, by the way, Movistar just dropped Campy in favor of Sram...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lessee...how many sub compact cranks does shimano make? How about DA/ultegra/105 clutch rear ders? Mid cage DA rear ders?
Quote:
It would be so damn easy to introduce a rear derailleur with some clutch mechanism and those guys never listen to what the average use needs/wants. [/B]
It's not easy and read below. GROAD bikes 'seem' to be marketing 'noisy', but still a small part of the market.
Gravel grinding 'seems' to be YUGE in the US, but in types of riding,it's still really small and pretty much non existent in Europe or Asia, Campagnolo's PRIMARY market. In the US, in spite of forums like this, cycling is a teeny, tiny segment of the 'sports enthusiast's' arena. Bikes are seen as toys in the USA.

BTW-pro race sponsorship(MovieStar..not many 'gravel races' they are going to be in, yes?) is all about money, money, money...Maybe they'll actually keep the sram stuff they get instead of dumping it and PAYING to get shimano, like BMC and C-Dale did...

BIG news...Astana and how many others switched from sram to shimano??

Like ohh so many premium brands and unlike sram and shimano who want to be everything to everybody, Campagnolo focus' on road.
-Rolex-not many digital or electric watches
-Tesla-SUV?
-VW/Porsche-trucks? No trucks, YUGE in the US..
-M-B..baby Benz anybody? How about 'people's Porsche'??
-Martin making any electric guitars? don't think so, even if you want one.

blah blah and IMHO, of course.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-27-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:30 AM

I did a gravel race using Campagnolo components intended for the road, and they did outstanding.

Gravel specific drivetrains are a desperate plea for money.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:31 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I did a gravel race using Campagnolo components intended for the road, and they did outstanding.

Gravel specific drivetrains are a desperate plea for money.
The entire bike Industry is a desperate plea for money.