Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 04:22 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
I guess ugly is in the eye of the beholder. Me, I smile everytime I shift it and think wow, 1000x better performance and better looking than SRAM Force 1 hydro.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk
Yes I agree. The sram is ugly as well. Does shift well for me, has not been a problem. I guess I just never had a problem shifting wither either of the 3 groups, they all work well so was never blown away by how a specific brand shifts. I do like e shifting. I also do like campy thumb button but as far as the chain moving from one cog to the other, they all work great and the same to me
Old 12-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Yes I agree. The sram is ugly as well. Does shift well for me, has not been a problem. I guess I just never had a problem shifting wither either of the 3 groups, they all work well so was never blown away by how a specific brand shifts. I do like e shifting. I also do like campy thumb button but as far as the chain moving from one cog to the other, they all work great and the same to me
IME it isn't the rear shifting that's been SRAM's Achilles' heel, it's their brakes. ...and front derailleurs. Hence the 1x they're pushing.

I get to bleed some SRAM brakes on Tues. [sarcasm]Oh BOY! can't effing wait! [/sarcasm]
M
Old 12-22-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
nice, yeah if I ever would do GRX would definitely be DI2... but I think I would go AXS over it every time, big fan of sram wireless, has been great on 2 of my bikes
SRAM's big advantage on a gravel bike is the ability to run the Eagle cassettes. The 10-50 is awesome and Shimano made a huge mistake by not offering a gear combo lower than 40t front w/ 11-42 rear - it's just not that low for how capable the bikes have become.

That said, the GRX brakes and ergonomics are far and away the best on the market. The updated pivot location for the lever blade is awesome and 1 finger braking from the hoods is pretty incredible.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
That said, the GRX brakes and ergonomics are far and away the best on the market. The updated pivot location for the lever blade is awesome and 1 finger braking from the hoods is pretty incredible.
I’ve own Ducati’s and currently have a BMW R1200R and I will tell you the brakes on my GRX feel like the brakes on my motorcycles. I was blown away. I also have a hydro Red 22 set-up, no comparison.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
...1 finger braking from the hoods is pretty incredible...
I'm having a hard time picturing how this works.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
SRAM's big advantage on a gravel bike is the ability to run the Eagle cassettes. The 10-50 is awesome and Shimano made a huge mistake by not offering a gear combo lower than 40t front w/ 11-42 rear - it's just not that low for how capable the bikes have become.

interested to try it.

As far as the gearing. I agree but also agree that sram missed out in not having any gears lower than 10-50T. They are both not thinking properly lol, they should offer something like 46T which I think is a nice in btw. I think 11-42 is now low enough and 11 is too big if the ride has a lot of pavement and you have a 40T in the front. I think this will all get rectified when GRX will go 12 speed, 10T small ring, more gear options, ect.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:38 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Sunrace 10-50 12 spd cassette on 11 speed Shimano hub and you get the range, Grx and can keep your wheels without needing yet another freehub.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2019, 05:26 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
IME it isn't the rear shifting that's been SRAM's Achilles' heel, it's their brakes. ...and front derailleurs. Hence the 1x they're pushing.

I get to bleed some SRAM brakes on Tues. [sarcasm]Oh BOY! can't effing wait! [/sarcasm]
M
I just bleed sram not long ago, went well, was pretty easy actually. Having 2 sets of sram hydro, both etap and force the braking is great. I say similar to my old shimano but I preferes the campy I had. I felt campy had better initial bite, I really like campy hydros, they were excellent. That said, sram hydros are fine and work great