Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 10:23 AM

I can only comment on the riding in that area with any authority. Really nice, almost everything you’d want except for big climbs; you’d have to venture out a bit for elevation. But lots of great country roads, paved and gravel. I drive up regularly from Brooklyn.

I only casually looked at real estate in Columbia’s and Dutchess counties. Lots of nice places of all different sorts (small villages, stuff out in the country with more land) but I was surprised by the property taxes. Higher than I expected.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Bitpuddle One of the things that I can relate about the taxes is over the last 10-12 years many of the towns and counties have done reassessments to full market value on properties.

In my town this happened due to several people that built McMansions and then getting pounded while their neighbor that had been in a house 2/3 the size but with substantially more acreage paying maybe 1/3-1/2 the taxes.

My taxes went up roughly 20-25% due to the comps an outside company supplied to the town. The same happened with multiple households. My point is that many areas of NYS have done this which has raised what the property owner in NYS already pays in a heavily taxed state.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:49 PM

Try PA, keep the scenery, lose the tax... (I grew up near Rochester in Fairport, rode the canal trail, went to school in Potsdam and haven't looked North in decades..)
Old 12-22-2019, 06:29 PM

Something to think about

I don’t know your particular situation (though I can empathize), but as we age healthcare can be an issue. Access to quality healthcare out in the sticks can be an issue. Also, you might consider a location near a college as a life line to culture and community. There’s only so much riding you can do. While it maybe some folk’s dream, I will never use the words “ice fishing” in the same sentence as retirement. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:11 PM

Leaving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Try PA, keep the scenery, lose the tax... (I grew up near Rochester in Fairport, rode the canal trail, went to school in Potsdam and haven't looked North in decades..)
We are likely headed to PA. Much less property taxes, utility costs, etc. The taxes and fees here are not sustainable. Not sure what the future plan is.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:26 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerckxMad View Post
I don’t know your particular situation (though I can empathize), but as we age healthcare can be an issue. Access to quality healthcare out in the sticks can be an issue. Also, you might consider a location near a college as a life line to culture and community. There’s only so much riding you can do. While it maybe some folk’s dream, I will never use the words “ice fishing” in the same sentence as retirement. Good luck.
Ithica.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpettet View Post
We are likely headed to PA. Much less property taxes, utility costs, etc. The taxes and fees here are not sustainable. Not sure what the future plan is.
PA has great gravel too.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:18 AM
bykhed

My wife and I live in Kingston (Ulster County). Her family lives in Dutchess County.

We love it here.

Miles and miles of gravel riding on rail trails, Mohonk, and Minnewaska Preserves.

Amazing mountain biking at Onteora Lake, Jockey Hill, Round Top, and select Scenic Hudson Properties.

Road riding is still a very worthwhile activity.

All towns on the Hudson River are slowly "coming around" or being gentrified, however you like to look at it. Kingston is pretty hot right now with (what seems like) a noticeable influx of new, younger people/families. Real estate prices have increased noticeably. We don't think it's peaked yet.

Taxes are not dirt cheap, but, they're also not what you are used to.

Great local food opportunities and farmers markets. Great breweries. Lots of options for great food.

Like someone said, you can't ride your bike all the time. There are lots of cultural activities in the immediate area. The Woodstock Film Festival and O+festival are a couple very popular events. UPAC has concerts in conjunction with Poughkeepsies Bardavan. Bard College also has a lot to offer with their art museum and the Fisher Center. Upstate Films/Rosendale Theatre/Woodstock Theatre all offer great independent films. SPAC and Tanglewood are a relatively easy drive away also.

I drive to Mahopac everyday. It's super easy to get onto the Thruway, Taconic, and 84. When we choose to go into NYC, we drive to Poughkeepsie and get on Metro North. Airports are accessible with Stewart being the closest, then Albany, then Newark and NYC options of course.

Last edited by YoKev; 12-23-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:19 AM

The thing for us is we have a NYS pension, which is exempt from NYS income taxes, so staying in NY state even with higher property taxes is offset by the income tax break. Makes it comparable to say Delaware, with lower property taxes, but they will tax the pension.

We successfully challenged our real estate taxes on our current home...went from 12,000+ to about 10,000, less the STAR exemption brings it down to 8,000/year, which is actually pretty good for Westchester. We have a half acre with municipal water and sewer.

Most of what we've seen on-line the taxes are 5,000-7,000, less the STAR.

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 12-23-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Ithica.
Similarly the village of Cooperstown.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:27 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
My wife and I live in Kingston (Ulster County). Her family lives in Dutchess County.

We love it here.

Miles and miles of gravel riding on rail trails, Mohonk, and Minnewaska Preserves.

Amazing mountain biking at Onteora Lake, Jockey Hill, Round Top, and select Scenic Hudson Properties.

Road riding is still a very worthwhile activity.

All towns on the Hudson River are slowly "coming around" or being gentrified, however you like to look at it. Kingston is pretty hot right now with (what seems like) a noticeable influx of new, younger people/families. Real estate prices have increased noticeably. We don't think it's peaked yet.

Taxes are not dirt cheap, but, they're also not what you are used to.

Great local food opportunities and farmers markets. Great breweries. Lots of options for great food.

Like someone said, you can't ride your bike all the time. There are lots of cultural activities in the immediate area. The Woodstock Film Festival and O+festival are a couple very popular events. UPAC has concerts in conjunction with Poughkeepsies Bardavan. Bard College also has a lot to offer with their art museum and the Fisher Center. Upstate Films/Rosendale Theatre/Woodstock Theatre all offer great independent films. SPAC and Tanglewood are a relatively easy drive away also.

I drive to Mahopac everyday. It's super easy to get onto the Thruway, Taconic, and 84. When we choose to go into NYC, we drive to Poughkeepsie and get on Metro North. Airports are accessible with Stewart being the closest, then Albany, then Newark and NYC options of course.
Kingston does seem to be popping right now, just had a really good dinner there yesterday at that restaurant/hotel that used to be a bank. Was good, very cool place. I really like kingston and think its going to only get busier, more businesses and more people moving there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
The thing for us is we have a NYS pension, which is exempt from NYS income taxes, so staying in NY state even with higher property taxes is offset by the income tax break. Makes it comparable to say Delaware, with lower property taxes, but they will tax the pension.

We successfully challenged our real estate taxes on our current home...went from 12,000+ to about 10,000, less the STAR exemption brings it down to 8,000/year, which is actually pretty good for Westchester. We have a half acre with municipal water and sewer.

Most of what we've seen on-line the taxes are 5,000-7,000, less the STAR.

SPP
That is good deal for westchester for sure.

Up here I am paying more than you in taxes but I have 6 acres. Taxes too high in Ulster but same thing in green county probably be $4000 less
Old 12-23-2019, 06:44 AM

... andhow about "Upstate New York"

I am in Wetern Fulton County. We have two acres and a Cape Cod house with three small out buildings a pond and are 12 miles from Johnstown NY.

My house was a fixer upper and in many ways still is, but our taxes are only around $2500 a year and with STAR and the fact that our school district merging we end up paying under $2,000 a year. Not common, but while we were house hunting I did quite a bit of research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2019, 09:43 AM

Wide variety of tax %

We specifically chose our house location for tax reasons.
1) Skaneateles School district (top 1-3% in NYSED)
2) Cayuga County, town of Sennett
3) small house (900 sq ft cabin, unfinished full basement) with lots of land (~5 acres, >1 acre of lawn, the rest wooded)

The village and town of Skaneateles are notoriously high taxes and crazy zoning/building permitting.

Cayuga county is exactly the opposite, with the major metro area being Auburn (prison city with poor economy).

We bought a small house with a decent amount of land for a pittance of what it would cost just a quarter mile down the road in Onondaga County, town of Skaneateles. I would guess that our assessed value is in the bottom 5% of the school district, but the upper 50% of the town and the county.

Skaneateles Schools actually have a low tax %, because so many of the houses are crazy $$$$ due to the lake. Because our house is so cheap (comparatively) we do quite well.

Cayuga County taxes are reasonable simply because the housing costs are so damn low.

Because I'm in the state retirement system, we'll probably spend the rest of our lives in this house (unless some phenomenal job opportunity comes along for my wife or myself, she almost convinced me to move to the Caribbean, but our parents had health issues at the time!)

No, the finger lakes isn't 'Upstate' (it's really 'central' NY folks...) but, it is a good example of picking the right location is crucial to retiring in New York State.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:58 AM

I was born in Schenectady County, lived there till I went to college in Central NY, then moved back for a year while I was doing a fellowship in Albany before going to the midwest for grad school.

I second, third, or whatever number we are at with what folks have said about taxes. Varies significantly from county to county so do your homework. Mortgage gets smaller, but taxes are forever. My folks moved to Saratoga County after us kids moved out for the tax breaks.

Food for thought - the central/upstate region of NY is amongst the cloudiest parts of the US. Data I saw not long ago showed it is only about 5% sunnier than Seattle and my experience growing up support these data. If grey days aren't your thing, look elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:33 AM
slower than you

Pffffft....30,000 dollar plus tax bills in Westchester are not unusual. Of course, the housing bubble created it and low interest rates afterwards have maintained that market. But, the new Fed tax bill has really screwed most of these homeowners, who always could say, at least, I can deduct it from my fed taxes. This has really hurt the high end home market in Westchester and a lot of other high income/high tax places.

I experience another tax issue in CT.. my auto is taxed annually as property. Keeps home taxes lower, but, still. About 700 a year for a new Honda HRV. Whoopee.