Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 10:12 PM

They are behind. Orbea had one beginning last year.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:33 PM
ZhugeLiang

Can we just cut to the chase and give us whatever the Mandalorian is riding?

Old 12-20-2019, 11:05 PM

bike, ebikes...whatever....as long as you are out the door, right? or so the chain of logic goes.
so i'll take the 959, porsche, that is.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:54 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
Finally, you can buy the bikes ridden in the Tour de France.
Comment of the day above.

But False Aest has a point. Right now it's easy to make fun of stuff like this... until something in life, or just plain aging, makes it so we can't do what we love anymore. We are pretty lucky that bikes like this are being perfected now.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:00 AM

I sort of hope that e-bikes flop and these things in whatever form take off.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...AEgL-wfD_BwE#/

Because this is really just kind of sad.

https://swagtron.com/product/swagtro...yABEgIzSvD_BwE

I'm no hater, I just think the bike industry has latched onto something that may not play out all that well when it comes to pure recreational use.

Get off the bike lane!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Interesting picture of that trek bike, 1st time I see a trek bike with the stem FLIPPED!!! already.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:27 AM

Similar, have a friend with medical issue and an e-bike has been a lifesaver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
I have a good friend with Parkinsons.

He used to slay us whipper snappers on the group rides.
Then the disease kicked in.

Couldn't ride for a few years.
Then e-road bikes came out.

He's back on the group rides.

Eff the haters. Eff "purists."
Old 12-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
70 years old. Strong in her day but replaced heart valve starting to leak. She passes me regularly on her ebike like I'm standing still. It is fun cuz she's a friend but down deep I'd love be to going fast like her. I just yell god damn ebikes as she flies by and we laugh. Some day soon me thinks.

I think we may be seeing a fast evolution to the demise of non-E bikes. Mark my words and get back to me in a couple of years.
I think you're right. And it's not only going to be for the aged IMO. Road Performance ebike hybrids under twenty pounds will evolve and hammer heads will ride and benefit from them also. I would imagine that riders will utilize them differently too. When in form I could really climb fast, on the flats other people were stronger on long pulls so an ebike would be an equalizer for both. And all types will be able to go faster and farther.

And yes, eventually time will get is all. Just a couple of miles from home there's steep climbs, nice to know my years may get extended if injury and/or age slows me down. I welcome the options.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:37 AM

Brilliant to have the works be removable too.
What I appreciate is the European take on this, which limits wattage and max speed under power to ranges within the human-powered performance envelope. What I don't want is a 30 mph rocketship careering around the bike paths (almost got taken out two seasons ago on the path around the state forest here by a huge guy going way too fast on a corner on a rental ebike). I can a place for an even lower watt assistance, say 125W, half of what this Trek has. Lighter yet, and more range on the same battery.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Well, why wouldn't they do an all-road eBike? Makes sense from a commercial standpoint, right?

Not sure of your comment. This is essentially an all road bike. States that it comes shod with 32mm road tires. Although rim specs are not mentioned in the article (and I didn’t go to Trek’s site to research) I would imagine a person could safely mount 28c tires.

The last couple of years seem to be more like dog years to my body, my body is aging so quickly. I definitely see an E-bike in my future.

I’m personally excited about how quickly this segment of cycling is growing and being accepted. Ultimately it’s good for all cyclists.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Brilliant to have the works be removable too.
What I appreciate is the European take on this, which limits wattage and max speed under power to ranges within the human-powered performance envelope. What I don't want is a 30 mph rocketship careering around the bike paths (almost got taken out two seasons ago on the path around the state forest here by a huge guy going way too fast on a corner on a rental ebike). I can a place for an even lower watt assistance, say 125W, half of what this Trek has. Lighter yet, and more range on the same battery.
Here here!

I wish Trek and others would take the responsible lead on this as to not alienate people. I also wonder if these bikes should be their own category with their own infrastructure as far as brick and motor shops?

One argument is that the "switch" will be so quick that it will in fact be an even playing field. As it stands, I loath the day I am on a MUP and some dude creams a kid while driving his 35mph "e-bike" that is throttle equipped.

Time will tell I guess.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:31 AM

unfortunately, this is not going to happen imo.
it is going to be a "which bike has the biggest wattage battery" war. and consumers will buy the one with the most watts. money will speak and even more watts will come.

that is unless the city regulates watts. and that is also not going to happen.

btw, here in boulder, on our multi use paths, i have seen a lot of throttle equipped "bikes" zooming around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Here here!

I wish Trek and others would take the responsible lead on this as to not alienate people. I also wonder if these bikes should be their own category with their own infrastructure as far as brick and motor shops?

One argument is that the "switch" will be so quick that it will in fact be an even playing field. As it stands, I loath the day I am on a MUP and some dude creams a kid while driving his 35mph "e-bike" that is throttle equipped.

Time will tell I guess.

Last edited by nmrt; 12-21-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Upon further reflection ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The Domane LT+.

Hey, it's 23 pounds without the motor. That's, uh, something. Coming to a gravel race near you.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/trek...-road-machine/
No comment on whether eBikes are inherently good or bad. If they replace cars as a means of commuting, that's got to be a net positive. I'm more intrigued by the commercial aspect of it, particularly as a long-time personal trainer.

I think all-road ebikes will be similar to gym memberships but on a much smaller scale. People will purchase them full intending to use them, and then inevitably drop off in their usage. That's how gyms make their money. Same thing with most "fad" workouts. After a month (or less) and people lose interest.

The premise behind a bike like this is "Go out and explore." "Take the road less travelled." So people ordinarily less inclined to do a 50 mile dirt and gravel ride can now have an easier option. But the caveat with this equation is if someone is inherently less inclined to do 50 mile gravel/road ride, having a motor is not going to change their inclination much. You really have to think that kind of thing is fun to begin with.

So, I think Trek will sell a bunch of these. I do not count on seeing too many of them on longer and more remote recreational rides, regardless of the terrain.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:05 AM

Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Not sure of your comment. This is essentially an all road bike. States that it comes shod with 32mm road tires. Although rim specs are not mentioned in the article (and I didn’t go to Trek’s site to research) I would imagine a person could safely mount 28c tires.

The last couple of years seem to be more like dog years to my body, my body is aging so quickly. I definitely see an E-bike in my future.

I’m personally excited about how quickly this segment of cycling is growing and being accepted. Ultimately it’s good for all cyclists.
I too see it as a good thing. If people choose these over a car trip it helps with congestion and pollution/waste with the added benefit of a bit of exercise if they pedal a little along the way

The talks of MUPs in the thread, IMO all MUPs are problematic and not a place I enjoy cycling anyway. Even without motors you have riders going too fast around walkers/jogger and whatever else is on the path.

The acceptance and alienation mentions here are funny too, things change whether we join or not and new norms develop all on there own. And why it has to be seen as negative for some I'll never know.

Being into fitness as I am and an advocate of people getting out and doing something, I see ebikes as a great way to do just that.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Sure, if they want to get in the moped business I guess.
If you read some reviews of Fazua-equipped e-assist bikes you'll see that they're the farthest thing from a moped imaginable.