Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 07:22 PM
Tired Member

I don't have personal experience with these animals.

This youtube channel goes over common traps: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYb...1xjes4FVn61JUQ
Old 12-20-2019, 07:43 PM

CNY not a fan of the 243. My go-to dual purpose rig is my 257 AI with a Hart barrel. I picked up a 6.5 Creed last year but that may be a bit much...
Old 12-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
I say it is time to lock this thread and I really don't believe I need to explain why. Some really damaged souls here!
I agree with the sentiment, but given that "let's find more fun ways to kill something that can't shoot back or otherwise defend itself in any meaningful manner" banter is a common game for much of this country's male population, I think it's unlikely that there will be sufficient push back for the thread to be shut down.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I agree with the sentiment, but given that "let's find more fun ways to kill something that can't shoot back or otherwise defend itself in any meaningful manner" banter is a common game for much of this country's male population, I think it's unlikely that there will be sufficient push back for the thread to be shut down.
Hold my beer!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:21 PM

As my coworker once said, "How do you get rid of Bermuda grass? The answer is move." Might be the answer here too.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Hold my beer!
Nice launch !!!

Old 12-21-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I say it is time to lock this thread and I really don't believe I need to explain why. Some really damaged souls here!
Damaged souls?
Marc your wokeness is truly dazzling. So dazzling it must be blinding for you.
Such a shame you have to suffer the presence of other humans who are less enlightened and dare not march in lock step with your opinions.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Ya know, this is a tough one but shooting one with a 22LR isn't really any less 'ugly' than poisoning or gassing them. Which many licensed exterminators use to rid your house/property of 'critters'..How about (exterminator)trap live and let them starve? That's not very pretty either.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Randomhead

We had groundhogs when we moved into this house. There was a poorly conceived firewood bin, and the main entrance to their tunnels was hidden in it. Once I tore that down, they vacated. Years later, voles moved into their tunnels. Dogs loved chasing those things around, and I saw one of our dogs catch and eat one. Which is why I won't poison them.

I wasn't trying to get rid of them too seriously, but one day an itinerant snake came to our yard and ate them all and then left. Totally changed my view of snakes. OTOH, it redoubled my resolve not to have any rodents in the house.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:14 AM

I grew up on a farm where gophers (or woodchucks, as they are referred to in CNY) weren’t just an annoyance, they could be could be deadly to livestock. I was taught never to hunt them for amusement, only as necessary to keep cows and horses safe. We actively hunted them in pastures, but mostly ignored them in crop fields. The most expedient solutions were a .222 with a 6X scope and our family German Shepard. Between me with the rifle and a smart, fast dog, the woodchucks ceased to be a significant threat in the pastures.

Today in suburbia, our wheaten terrier keeps the local woodchuck population out of our yard. I’ve only seen one in the yard since Max joined our family, and it quickly vacated the premises when faced with 55 lbs. of fur, fangs, and attitude. Prior to Max joining the family, I live trapped the woodchucks that enjoyed our garden. I released them miles away on vacant land. Cute but annoying rodents!

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77329A66-62F0-4F4F-8995-0B7A1A713326.jpg (64.9 KB, 150 views)
Old 12-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Well - whatever anyone's level of wokeness is, my first choice would have been a live trap. These were taken off the table by the OP, but they can be very effective if employed with some diligence.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:35 AM

Air rifle with point tip pellets. Plink....plink...plink...

Them and Chipmunks....them there rodents can wreak havoc.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
damaged souls?
Such a shame you have to suffer the presence of other humans who are less enlightened and dare not march in lock step with your opinions.
+1
Old 12-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Damaged souls?
Guys , there’s no need for comments like this. It approached the line of don’t be a jerk. Many options have been presented here and I doubt there will be new ones.
I’m closing this now .