Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 07:51 AM

Can the braintrust help with a move to Baltimore?

Hello all. Hoping the Braintrust might be able to assist me with a few questions on a move to Baltimore. I'm taking a job at Towson U and am wondering about living in Towson or downtown (e..g, Fells Point).

Is commuting by bike possible? I lived in DC many years and commuted by bike but had Rock Creek or Capitol Cresent trail for most of the commute. Is there anything like that in Charm City from downtown to Towson? Looks like there might be the East Coast Greenway/Jones Falls Train and then Roland Ave has a protected bike lane. Has anyone ridden these?

I'm a big group ride guy, but at almost 50 I need a dad ride. 2 hours or so at 18mph average - not the drop whomever and average 20mph above. Might anyone know of group rides that fit the above?

Any shop recommendations?

Never lived in Baltimore and am looking forward to it.

Last edited by b33; 12-20-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:10 AM

I live ~10 mi N of Towson. Great riding up there (and with opening to points North/PA and West/the Catoctins), and from Towson, there is easy road access to those parts. I have no experience living in Balto proper, but I wouldn't want to commute to Towson from Fells Point. Possibly from some of the more northern parts of Balto city, but not Fells Point. I'm sure others may chime in, but good luck and welcome to the area.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:11 AM
slower than you

A cyclist should consider living north of Towson in Cickeysville or even further. Amazing bike country up there. You do not want to commute from downtown to Towson .
Old 12-20-2019, 09:22 AM

I think it depends how much you want to invest in your commute (distance/time wise). I would not rule it out honestly. I had friends in Fell's or just east of MLK boulevard who would come up to the north of the city to meet me and ride out of the city . You have to wind your way over to St. Paul's, but it's not really bad, multiple lanes and perhaps a bike lane as well. Then you can go on roland ave (again bike lane) and wind your way over to towson. Another alternative is Hampden, which is a quirkey and fun neighborhood west of the Johns Hopkins campus, nice restaurants, bars and local flavor (and a bike shop--twenty20 cycling). I loved living there and its accessible to good riding, but you can also zip downtown pretty easily .
Old 12-20-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
...Another alternative is Hampden, which is a quirkey and fun neighborhood west of the Johns Hopkins campus, nice restaurants, bars and local flavor (and a bike shop--twenty20 cycling). I loved living there and its accessible to good riding, but you can also zip downtown pretty easily .
Hampden is a cool neighborhood. Unfortunately, the twenty20 bike shop closed.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Two wheels good

As the others have said you'll find the best roads north of Towson and commuting from Fells and the like to Towson is kind of a bitch. It can but done but it won't a party unless you are into the "urban assault/bike courier" kind of riding which is pretty exhilarating.

Joe's Bike Shop in Mt Washington isn't too far from Towson, has been around for a while and has a small shop vibe to it. I also think that you may want to consider living in Towson or the Hampden / Medfield area.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:45 AM

I relocated about a year ago, and ended up in Lutherville-Timonium just a few miles north of Towson and a couple of miles south of Cockeysville. I've found it to be a nice mix of easy access to shops, etc, and getting into the really nice cycling routes just a couple of miles away.

For group rides, there will be plenty. Lutherville Bike shop has a nice Sunday am coffee ride, and there are also some nice ad hoc rides through the Baltimore Bicycling Club that are about the right pace.

Feel free to reach out with any questions!
Old 12-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
I relocated about a year ago, and ended up in Lutherville-Timonium just a few miles north of Towson

Glad you like it, Dave! I was thinking about you when I saw the original post. We still have to hook up to ride sometime!
Old 12-20-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricChanning View Post
Hampden is a cool neighborhood. Unfortunately, the twenty20 bike shop closed.
Darn, that is really sad to hear. They were a good shop. Another shop I'd recommend is Baltimore Bicycle Works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
A cyclist should consider living north of Towson in Cickeysville or even further. Amazing bike country up there. You do not want to commute from downtown to Towson .
I don't want to say it's impossible to commute safely from downtown to Towson, but I haven't done it. I did used to commute from downtown to UMBC, and it took me through some rough spots but it was doable. Someone could get to Roland Avenue heading north past Loyola University. From there, Google Maps shows some bike friendly streets that you could theoretically use to get to Towson University.

The issue is that I believe Maryland DOT is designating those streets, and I'm not certain how good their designations are. Wilkens Avenue out by UMBC is designated as bike friendly for a good part of its length, and that was also the case in 2012-2014 when I lived there. I haven't been back, but at the time it was in no way bike friendly. Too much traffic. I don't recall a sufficient shoulder. There was and is still no bike lane there.

The other issue is that it looks like a long ride, like 10 miles each way. This may be more than you want to take on.

I think if the OP is going to work at Towson U, I'd also consider living in Towson rather than in Baltimore City. It may be possible to commute by bike. I'm not sure I'd strongly recommend it.

Last edited by weiwentg; 12-20-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:26 AM

If you want to commute to Towson U, you should probably consider living in Towson or Lutherville. Northern Baltimore County is probably too far to commute by bike but has beautiful bike riding.

I lived in Towson a long time ago but now live in Bel Air, Harford County. It is not too far from Towson to commute by car but is too far to commute by bike. It is another place with beautiful bike riding.

The Lutherville Bike Shop is another good, small shop and has been around for a long time.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Darn, that is really sad to hear. They were a good shop. Another shop I'd recommend is Baltimore Bicycle Works.

I don't want to say it's impossible to commute safely from downtown to Towson, but I haven't done it. I did used to commute from downtown to UMBC, and it took me through some rough spots but it was doable. Someone could get to Roland Avenue heading north past Loyola University. From there, Google Maps shows some bike friendly streets that you could theoretically use to get to Towson University.

The issue is that I believe Maryland DOT is designating those streets, and I'm not certain how good their designations are. Wilkens Avenue out by UMBC is designated as bike friendly for a good part of its length, and that was also the case in 2012-2014 when I lived there. I haven't been back, but at the time it was in no way bike friendly. Too much traffic. I don't recall a sufficient shoulder. There was and is still no bike lane there.

I think if the OP is going to work at Towson U, I'd also consider living in Towson rather than in Baltimore City. It may be possible to commute by bike. I'm not sure I'd strongly recommend it.
Search forum member 'bicimechanic' (Jason) or at his shop (http://www.servicecoursecycle.com/). Good guy and the best mechanic around, IMO. He gets Campy.....
Old 12-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Baltimore?

Aaron earned an iron urn. Feel free to Google it up.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:24 PM

I was born and raised in Towson (Alleghany Ave). I went to all of Towson's public schools and graduated from Towson State in 1976. My family had the bar on the corner of Alleghany and York (Souris') Good riding very close by!
I live in Switzerland now and went back to Towson a few weeks ago. Obviously, a lot has changed. I am still and will always be a Towson boy.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:31 PM
slower than you

One of the coolest bike shops is here: http://www.veloccinocoffee.com/welcome.html which is still Baltimore county. Awesome spot, right in the center of great riding. Sells Wilier frames and bikes. Support him, nice guy
Old 12-20-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPP View Post
I was born and raised in Towson (Alleghany Ave). I went to all of Towson's public schools and graduated from Towson State in 1976. My family had the bar on the corner of Alleghany and York (Souris') Good riding very close by!
I live in Switzerland now and went back to Towson a few weeks ago. Obviously, a lot has changed. I am still and will always be a Towson boy.
And the riding will still always be better in Switzerland!...at least where I lived......