Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which watch would you choose if you could have only 1?
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - Quartz 15 26.32%
Oris Big Crown ProPilot Big Date - Automatic 12 21.05%
Sinn 104 - Automatiz 30 52.63%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
The GMT-Master II Pepsi 126710BLRO announced in 2018 which has a retail of $9250 probably trades for about $15,000 now rather than $18,000 (where it was several months ago) in the pre-owned market so draw your own conclusions; is it a crash or a reset to reality? Either way, it is still selling for way above MSRP as a pre-owned watch.
That's just supply and demand. When it came out it was a unicorn. Now it's less of a unicorn so there are more available on the second-hand market. Rolex typically takes around 6 months post Baselworld for watches to hit stores. The GMT Pepsi in question has realistically been on the street for a year and even top agencies have likely only had a handful (if that) come through their doors. The initial crazy inflated price was due to the simple fact that the market went nuts for the watch and none existed on the street. Now they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Similarly watches such as the Patek Nautilus in stainless steel are not trading for as large a premium over MSRP in the pre-owned market so is that a crash or is the market coming back to reality?
Probably more to do with "watch traders" being fickle. 10 years ago nobody cared about the Nautilus. Then it became the grail watch, probably because it, like all Pateks, is in short supply. And after 5 years or so of them being nearly impossible to get, the "watch traders" are moving on. There's no money in flipping a watch you can't actually get. Keep in mind that most of the sites out there "selling" these very hard to get watches don't actually have them. And since they can't get their hands on it, there's less of a market for it. Also, Patek does not want their watches in that flipper ecosystem, so that makes them that much harder to get outside of an agency.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:43 AM

NYFixie, I'm late to the thread and I've all but given up on traditional watches, but I'll answer the original Q: as a thought experiment.

My initial response was: Why compare these three products? Apples/Oranges, etc.

But here's my answer:
- Omega: From an aesthetics and function POV, I see zero appeal. It's subtle, which can be great - but I personally see no value in this type of product. I don't care about the brand, or the quality. It's a very expensive Timex, as far as I'm concerned. There are some Omegas that I find appealing, just not this one.

- Oris: Totally not my thing.

- Sinn: All in. The only issue is whether or not it will fit under all your shirtcuffs for daily wear, but I guess you have more than one watch - so no big deal.

A few more things I'd put out there, at risk of repeating what I may have posted here or elsewhere at one point or another...

I hate logos and conspicuous branding, anywhere, on anything. I don't wear shirts with ponies, alligators, or... anything. Ever. Want me to wear your logo? Let's see the sponsorship agreement, lol. It's getting to the point where I might actually pay extra to buy something without a logo.

On that vector, here are a couple of watches that are a step up, from a non-branded POV:

Stowa:
https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+classic+6498+41.htm
I don't like the band shown here, that that's an easy correction.

Maratac:
I have two of these. My favorite is not presently available, but they do have some stock in a style that might be an interesting counterpoint to the Omega or Oris watch...

https://countycomm.com/collections/m...tch-by-maratac
Seiko 24 Jewel NH-35 Automatic / Self Winding Hacking movement

You will feel and hear the movement in these watches. You may or may not get tired of people asking you "what type of watch is that" because it is a straight up beautiful, simple timepiece... and because there is no honking huge logo cluttering up the face. Sapphire back, so you can see the movement, and a robust case that has some heft and presence. I get more comments on my Maratac watches than any other watch I've worn, including what might be considered prestige brands.

Finally, in the Sinn range, this chronograph isn't overdesigned with a needlessly decorative bezel or any other "design sprinkles" - and it has left-side plungers (it's the Japanese site, hit translate if needed):
https://sinn-japan.jp/product/military_type_4/

Just a thought.

I've been selling off my watches for the past 10 years, and I don't miss them a bit.

When I do wear a traditional watch, I am super pleased with the Maratac on every objective measure, and see no reason to spend 5-10x for a similar feature set while looking like a Nascar driver in the process.

At this point, my daily is... an Apple Watch. I need it for work, however the new faces and complications released with the Series 5 are great, particularly in combination with the new "always on" behavior and improved battery life. I use one of two complications that show my home timezone as I travel frequently and I find it super useful for keeping in touch with my family at home. Not to mention the easy / automatic collection of activity and health data. $0.02.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I don’t see any crash, but I haven’t paid much attention till the mention here as I have distanced myself from buying watches...

I still have an e series gmt Pepsi 16710 and it appears to be selling for more than double what I paid about 7 years ago... not bad
Mine(bought in 1978) is 'worth' about 15 times what I paid..
Old 12-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
man, i hate that Omega, lol.

i didnt read the whole thread admittedly Z, but have you considered a Ball, either an Engineer M or Fireman? Similar aesthetic, but a much nicer watch, IMO

i have a diver, and it's a superb watch. the micro gas tubes at the indices have "lume for dayzzz"
I did some more digging on their website and came up with this:
Engineer III Marvelight