Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which watch would you choose if you could have only 1?
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - Quartz 15 26.32%
Oris Big Crown ProPilot Big Date - Automatic 12 21.05%
Sinn 104 - Automatiz 30 52.63%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2019, 07:07 AM

Flavor Flav really knew how to style a timepiece, or three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flav.jpg (45.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Well, hope you have further narrowed your search among the three watches you specifically mentioned.
In terms of the pole:

The Sinn has taken the lead by a long shot - but I think it might be too sporty.

The Oris is in second place - but I recently purchased this microbrand Collins Hyperion in blue dial (see below) which I like but can't actually read the date so the Oris is still a contender.

The Omega is always a good choice even thought it is quartz but I am worried about the dial style which could get old/trendy/out-of-style quickly.

Someone asked for pictures so I'll share that I included pics of the Omega, Oris, and Sinn in the OP and here are pictures of some of my other inexpensive watches...

Seiko SNZF17 - modded to look like a vintage Rolex Submariner - recently sold

Seiko SNZH55 - modded to look like a vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - for sale so PM if interested

Collins Hyperion - limited to 5 blue dial - purchased new recently at NYC Watch show - for sale at the right price

Other than these I have already sold....

Casio DW5035 35th Anniversary square
Hamtun Nanok
Spinnaker Tesei Titanium
Seiko SRP777
Seiko SKX011 modded

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-20-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
oof, this merge went a little sideways with the timing of the posts, but i think it'll smooth out if we use it moving forward.

apologies for the choppy merge, but i'm not sure how i could have fixed that.
probably because it now appears that watch box and watch winder thread from a new user were just spam and I'm not sure my poll should have been consolidated as it was very specific but thanks for trying to keep it orderly.

(written in a very thankful and supportive tone - not bitchy at all - seriously)

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-20-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
New member on bike forum and all 3 post about watches.

1 post to a link selling watch winders.

Maybe they meant to go to watchuseek on Tapatalk, but hit the wrong forum.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote:
oof, this merge went a little sideways with the timing of the posts, but i think it'll smooth out if we use it moving forward.

apologies for the choppy merge, but i'm not sure how i could have fixed that.
Can you also remove the poll? It's not really relevant in the context of a general watch thread.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
probably because it now appears that watch box and watch winder thread from a new user were just spam and I'm not sure my poll should have been consolidated as it was very specific but thanks for trying to keep it orderly.

(written in a very thankful and supportive tone - not bitchy at all - seriously)
yea, i realized the error i made as soon as i pushed the button, but i dont think i can un-merge. sorry sir!

i think this will be a good consolidation moving forward for general watch discussion.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Administrator

this one has been getting wrist time for me as of lately:

Old 12-20-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
yea, i realized the error i made as soon as i pushed the button, but i dont think i can un-merge. sorry sir!

i think this will be a good consolidation moving forward for general watch discussion.
Maybe delete the new user, the watchbox posts, the watch winder posts, the responses from nice Paceliners who did not realize it was spam and all will be fine.

Might also make sense to merge this thread which has had activity recently:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225169
Old 12-20-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
this one has been getting wrist time for me as of lately:

Very nice!
I had a Combat Sub for a while and loved how thin they are. I've flipped a bunch of watches in the last few years to buy more bikes.

Still have a few other random watches in my box, but these are the only ones I end up wearing, besides my Garmin.

Two 36mm customs I built using ETA Clone movements. And a titanium Bertucci for days when I'll be working outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-20-2019, 09:52 AM

I've had quite few Omega and Sinn watches, and like both brands. I got out of the Swiss/German watch game a few years ago after realizing I had a box full of expensive jewelry.

Now, I only accumulate real divers.

IMG_6383r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 12-20-2019, 10:02 AM

If you want something a little dressier, I think the Seiko Tuna works. Plus, it's pretty much bullet proof.

IMG_5622r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 12-20-2019, 10:11 AM

If I didn't already have a G shock I'd be all over the Casio ga-2100. It would be even nicer with solar but that may take a while.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
"...Maybe delete the new user, the watchbox posts, the watch winder posts, the responses from nice Paceliners who did not realize it was spam and all will be fine..."
Yup, as soon as he/she posted the JQueen Winder silly comment, we knew it was indeed a spammer.

Might as well delete poll attached to this combined thread.
It made sense when a standalone thread, yet not now.

Good job keeping the place tidy, mods and admins.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You are comparing very different time periods in the same examples. Times change, tastes change, and thus values change but Rolex and Patek have proven to be the only brands that keep value no matter what happens in the overall watch market. You also need to factor the time value of money because $1,000 14 or 15 years ago does not have the same purchase power today. For it to be equal, you would need $1,316.99 of today's dollars to equal what $1000 was worth in 2005.

You have to factor in the time value of money on the other watches you mention also.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
You have to factor in the time value of money on the other watches you mention also.

Jeff
I agree but as I shared, even within Rolex and Patek some models fair much better than others over time with Rolex and Patek as overall brands often beating out all others in the long term. There are always exceptions. An example would be that a Omega PloProph is going to retain more value than a Rolex DateJust but that is because that specific Omega was very limited and unique wheras a garden variety datejust have been made in the millions over time.

$1 today will always be worth less than $1 was yesterday so holding onto a watch for a longer period time just means you need to sell it for an X factor more to be in the same place as when you purchased it if one considers the time value of money.

As an example, one could purchase a Rolex Explorer II in 1994 for $2850 (actual retail price at the time) which would be $4,946.31 in 2019 dollars. So, if someone sold it used in 2019 for $2850 and might think, "that's awesome I got my money back after 25 years", they would be wrong because $2850 in 2019 dollars is only worth about $1640 of 1994 dollars resulting in a loss of $1210 in 1994 dollars or $2,096.31 in 2019 dollars (when factoring the time value of money). Add in at least two service costs of about $750 each and that watch ownership cost is even higher (and the loss greater).

I think people need to be more mindful when they factor the actual cost of watch ownership and realize that it is rarely great investment but can be great value for money if you purchase and use something you really love and enjoy.

If one wants to invest, put your money in the stock market (and not watches).

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-20-2019 at 02:55 PM.