Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which watch would you choose if you could have only 1?
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - Quartz 15 26.32%
Oris Big Crown ProPilot Big Date - Automatic 12 21.05%
Sinn 104 - Automatiz 30 52.63%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulp View Post
I'm a big fan of Omega, but would advise against an Omega quartz, unless you're buying them used for <$1000.

Not an option you provided but i would recommend buying a used automatic Omega. I used Watchrecon to find a local person selling the Omega I wanted and everything worked out really well.

Get an Omega that uses an in-house movement, you won't regret it!
I should have added that I already have a Rolex Datejust 36mm steel/gold and an Explorer II 42mm (that replaced a 40mm one I had for 25 years but sold because I was offered a price I could not refuse). I have been going through several modded Seiko and microbrand watches over the past 18 months to find the "perfect" less expensive option to use for travel (which I do a lot for business and personal) because I no longer feel safe wearing either of them when I am travelling. So this needs to serve a purpose.

I want something dressy but not too dressy and sporty but not too sporty; a chameleon watch is what I want/need and these three seemed to be good options.

I am not interested in used anything. On the less expensive watches the savings is rarely worth it and I like to add the dings/scratches/patina myself.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-19-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:23 PM

For travel, Longines Conquest VHP GMT.

Stupidly good watch for the money.

Otherwise the Omega.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
For travel, Longines Conquest VHP GMT.

Stupidly good watch for the money.

Otherwise the Omega.
I believe I have seen yours posted across the hall. Other issue is I can't read the 24 hr scale on that Longines nor the date on most watches (without my reading glasses).

I have seen these all in-person and they have unusually large date windows without the need for a cyclops. The Oris actually has "Big Date" in the name.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-19-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:33 PM

My wife wears the women’s version of the Omega and it is a beautiful quality watch. I wear a similar Seamaster and they’re nice.

No other point of reference - I don’t collect watches and can not afford to start
Old 12-19-2019, 12:52 PM

For several years I couldn't get a Seiko Sumo (SBDC001) off my wrist. For the money you're talking about, I owned three Sumos -- black, blue and orange dials.

Then I started running and extended my (cycling) Garmin ecosystem to my watch. Now I can't get my Fenix 5 with NATO strap off my wrist.

And yea, I'm thinning the watch herd. Selling off most of my collection (most of which were relatively inexpensive, and some modified, Seiko divers...)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 12-19-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol, is it though? have you ever legitimately ever forgotten which day of the week you were in? haha.
I have. I'm retired and except for Sunday church service there isn't any regularly scheduled activity to differentiate days so I occasionally have to look at my watch to see if it's Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Modified Seiko for the win!
Old 12-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
Modified Seiko for the win!
No thank you. As mentioned earlier in the htread, I am selling off the modified Seikos and thinning the watch heard/collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
For several years I couldn't get a Seiko Sumo (SBDC001) off my wrist. For the money you're talking about, I owned three Sumos -- black, blue and orange dials.

Then I started running and extended my (cycling) Garmin ecosystem to my watch. Now I can't get my Fenix 5 with NATO strap off my wrist.

And yea, I'm thinning the watch herd. Selling off most of my collection (most of which were relatively inexpensive Seiko divers...)
Exactly, I do not enjoy the variety and upkeep so I too am getting rid of all inexpensive watches and consolidating in 1 mid-tier priced watch.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I should have added that I already have a Rolex Datejust 36mm steel/gold and an Explorer II 42mm (that replaced a 40mm one I had for 25 years but sold because I was offered a price I could not refuse). I have been going through several modded Seiko and microbrand watches over the past 18 months to find the "perfect" less expensive option to use for travel (which I do a lot for business and personal) because I no longer feel safe wearing either of them when I am travelling. So this needs to serve a purpose.

I want something dressy but not too dressy and sporty but not too sporty; a chameleon watch is what I want/need and these three seemed to be good options.

I am not interested in used anything. On the less expensive watches the savings is rarely worth it and I like to add the dings/scratches/patina myself.
I really like the Ball Fireman Enterprise or Victory which kind of tow’s the line that you have described. The Oris also gets close to double-duty. The Sinn (my favorite) doesn’t meet your needs. Strange inclusion.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:49 PM

If it is only between those three, I would go with the Sinn.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol, is it though? have you ever legitimately ever forgotten which day of the week you were in? haha.
Yes
Old 12-19-2019, 03:01 PM

I KNOW all three of these very well.

All have good points, and some drawbacks.

Sea master is a quartz.

Sin is to much of a dive watch to wear every day.

Oris, is unheard of brand.

Give me the Oris every time. I like that watch brand, and have had several. Lol, I’ve had more than a few from each company a time or two.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
I KNOW all three of these very well.

All have good points, and some drawbacks.

Sea master is a quartz.

Sin is to much of a dive watch to wear every day.

Oris, is unheard of brand.

Give me the Oris every time. I like that watch brand, and have had several. Lol, I’ve had more than a few from each company a time or two.

I have been into watches of all kinds and price-points for more than 30 years and it always amazes me what a narrow view the general public has in terms of brand recognition. Ask the average person walking down the street what is a good watch brand and they will inevitably say Rolex, fewer will say Omega, some Cartier, and you might be lucky if you get 1 or 2 who mention Patek. Others might say Swatch, Seiko, or Casio (in that order) if you ask about inexpensive watches.

Other than those, you will get blank stares if you ask about Sinn, Oris, etc. and maybe that is a good thing if I want a low-key watch to use when I travel.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-19-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I have been into watches of all kinds and price-points for more than 30 years and it always amazes me what a narrow view the general public has in terms of brand recognition. Ask the average person walking down the street what is a good watch brand and they will inevitably say Rolex, fewer will say Omega, some Cartier, and you might be lucky if you get 1 or 2 who mention Patek. Others might say Swatch, Seiko, or Casio (in that order) if you ask about inexpensive watches.

Other than those, you will get blank stares if you ask about Sinn, Oris, etc. and maybe that is a good thing if I want a low-key watch to use when I travel.
With proper treatment, it will always tell time. Like a tiny machine on your wrist.
Also with that watch, you can dress it up or down with a simple strap exchange
Old 12-19-2019, 05:50 PM

I was just talking to a couple of friends today about buying a new watch as well.

Rolex, Omega and Panerai.

Choices....