Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pf3xua_vEw

Shape of things to come I suspect. There's a restaurant in Denver that has no people in it..maybe somebody in back but you order, pay(CC only) and out pops what you ordered..kinda like the video. AS the labor market tightens, lower end job type people are going to get harder and harder to find..hence the plethora of you-do-it check out counters.

"What's in your wallet?"
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Interesting.

Cash is tangible, crypto-currency is 1's and 0's (presumably based on cash somewhere in the ether). I guess I'm old school because I prefer to use cash for many things. I have CC's but I try to use them as little as possible. App's and PP, eh, no thanks. As far as the PL, I have purchased many things using check or cash here, if they want to PP instead, oh well, bummer for me but no skin off my nose. I just move on...

William
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Administrator

i use cash for shady dive bars and the food trucks i buy lunch from, that's it. i use a credit card for literally everything else.

despite the CC fees, i can see it would be a huge advantage for a place like SweetGreen to go cashless. much easier bookkeeping, no chance for employees to skim a few bucks, you no longer need to make bank runs or have cash pickup service, etc. makes sense to me.

on the flip side - if anyone tried to open a salad joint in manhatten that ONLY took cash - if would be a flop.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i use cash for shady dive bars and the food trucks i buy lunch from, that's it. i use a credit card for literally everything else.

despite the CC fees, i can see it would be a huge advantage for a place like SweetGreen to go cashless. much easier bookkeeping, no chance for employees to skim a few bucks, you no longer need to make bank runs or have cash pickup service, etc. makes sense to me.

on the flip side - if anyone tried to open a salad joint in manhatten that ONLY took cash - if would be a flop.
In my biz, 98+% was CC...I think the only down side of CC only is the $ you must pay, by the biz, for CC processing. Seems to me, the CC companies ought to be paying the retail place, not the other way around BUT...no bank runs, no cash register closeouts, far easier to calculate sales/sales taxes, general accounting..certainly no rubber checks(in 13 years, only had once bounced check..). AS long as the phone line/interweb is a-workin..Of course if that crumps and you are CC only, you are essentially out of biz till it gets fixed.

Personally I carry a wee bit of long green, mostly for tips..pay with CC, give the 'jar' some green.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 AM

A cashless society would collect a whole lot more in taxes and make money laundering difficult. For those reasons alone I would support it, but mostly I'd like it so I wouldn't have 96 cents in my pocket after paying $2.04 for a cup of coffee.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
A cashless society would collect a whole lot more in taxes and make money laundering difficult. For those reasons alone I would support it, but mostly I'd like it so I wouldn't have 96 cents in my pocket after paying $2.04 for a cup of coffee.
Funny..I had jury duty yesterday and bought lunch at this wee cafe in the courthouse. Got a surprizingly good $9 chicken wrap but when I handed the $10 bill to the lady, she looked at me like I had 3 eyes..
Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Over the years I can think of a number of times where power was out and lines down due to hurricanes and for the places that had generators and were open... cash was king and the only thing they could take unless they had one of the old school hand crank CC machines (ka-chunk ka-chunk).

1's and 0's only work when you have power.

William
Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

1's and 0's only work when you have power.
believe me - you dont want to buy lunch at a salad joint that doesnt have power anyway
Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
believe me - you dont want to buy lunch at a salad joint that doesnt have power anyway
True, true. Funky romaine isn't good for you.

William
Old 06-13-2018, 08:16 AM
needs adult supervision

It depends on the business, yes? Some purchases/businesses/services no-cash makes sense and probably would not impact 99.9% of customers (healthcare, for example).

But for a salad chain or, say, a coffee shop, no cash feels discriminatory. Read an article awhile back about IDs required for voting. Many states required a drivers license. Article pointed out how many people don't have/can afford a car, and why should that be a barrier to voting.

It's human to assume most people are like ourselves. But not everyone lives on their phone. Small gestures that keep our society more inclusive and diverse and accepting seem like good things. Yesterday I was in line at a grocery store behind an elderly lady paying with mostly coins. She was very slow and careful. Part of me was frustrated, but I'm glad more of me took the time to realize that a fixed income means counting coins sometimes.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Sorry if off topic but think this is somewhat related to thread.

I don't mind cashless but think that the "guilt tip" screens built into the payment apps are BS.

Tips in my mind are considered for quality services or goods rendered- not immediately at "point of sale" and surely not for just inserting my card to pay for food or service yet to be received/delivered.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
Sorry if off topic but think this is somewhat related to thread.

I don't mind cashless but think that the "guilt tip" screens built into the payment apps are BS.

Tips in my mind are considered for quality services or goods rendered- not immediately at "point of sale" and surely not for just inserting my card to pay for food or service yet to be received/delivered.

Then don't tip, or tip w cash when you are done. Personally, if I expect to be served following payment, I'd rather run my card once than multiple times.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I prefer cash for most transactions, it is simpler, quicker and helps keep you better informed about what you are actually spending. If a business, who wants me to spend my money with them, will not accept cash I will simply move on to one who will.
1. How is it quicker than tapping the terminal with your phone which requires no action by the clerk and is thus simpler as well?

2. How are you more informed with cash when any use of a card creates a record that's available for your perusal whenever you need and a receipt for cash can be lost or be so generic that you don't remember what it was for?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:18 AM

"How are you more informed with cash when any use of a card creates a record that's available for your perusal whenever you need and a receipt for cash can be lost or be so generic that you don't remember what it was for?'

If you have $200 bucks in your wallet and spend $50 for dinner you know that you're down to $150. Pretty simple.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I prefer cash for most transactions, it is simpler, quicker and helps keep you better informed about what you are actually spending.
not arguing, but this logic doesnt hold water IMO.

1) i guarantee that if they had two lanes at the local starbucks, one cash only, and one electronic payment only - the electronic only line would move faster, no question.

2) how on earth is handing a cashier a 10 dollar bill to pay for a $3.67 dunkin doughnut simpler than swiping a card. cashier has to take your bill, make change and hand it back to you, vs zero person to person interaction

3) i am WAY more informed about my CC purchases than what i use cash for. i can pull up my CC statement online right now and know exactly how many cups of coffee i bought, bottles of wine or whatever this month, this year, or this decade in an instant.

how much cash do you think you spent in June of 2016, vs June of 2017? i bet you dont know, but i do.

just sayin...