Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 08:36 AM

Campy EPS

I have zero experience with EPS products. What are the major difference between V2 and V3 ? Record and Super Record ? I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Thanks, Ken
Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 AM

As for record vs super record. They still use the same system so i would say its pretty much the same as with mechanical record vs super record, the differences are very few and usually only comes down to some stuff beeing titanium or one more area carved out of the carbon for weight savings and similar.

The major difference for v2 vs v3 is that if you are doing an internal battery (most are these days..) the installation is much easier with v3 and the charging even more so. V2 required a port in the frame or taking the battery out to charge whilst v3 now charges via junction box.

This is my understandings from reading to much stuff on here amd elsewhere. I have had a few eps groups but i actually never installed them on my own bikes as i somehow always changed my mind and went for mechanical instead. I did ride it a few times and i like it. I just think its not for me..
Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
As for record vs super record. They still use the same system so i would say its pretty much the same as with mechanical record vs super record, the differences are very few and usually only comes down to some stuff beeing titanium or one more area carved out of the carbon for weight savings and similar.

The major difference for v2 vs v3 is that if you are doing an internal battery the installation is much easier with v3 and the charging even more so. V2 required a port in the frame or taking the battery out to charge whilst v3 now charges via junction box.

This is my understandings from reading to much stuff on here. I have had some eps groups but i actually never installed them on my own bikes as i somehow always changed my mind and went for mechanical instead.
Very comprehensive review.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:

The major difference for v2 vs v3 is that if you are doing an internal battery (most are these days..) the installation is much easier with v3 and the charging even more so. V2 required a port in the frame or taking the battery out to charge whilst v3 now charges via junction box.

This is my understandings from reading to much stuff on here amd elsewhere. I have had a few eps groups but i actually never installed them on my own bikes as i somehow always changed my mind and went for mechanical instead. I did ride it a few times and i like it. I just think its not for me..
Only thing I'd add here is the record/super record stuff is interchangeable, the Chorus/Athena bits are not.

And the v3 stuff starts the MyCampy app integration, which looks to do some cool stuff.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the info. So the V2 has the external battery mount on the frame?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
With Super Record, you get shift levers that have three holes drilled out, which Record does not have.

Super Record EPS rear derailleur has a cutout, whereas the Record one doesn't.

Super Record EPS rear derailleur has gold fasteners/hardware/parts, and Record has silver.

Super Record EPS has the CULT derailleur pulleys, Record doesn't.

Makes sense, since there's only about $200 difference between the "upgrade kits", and there's really no difference. For my new build, I went with Record EPS, because it would have killed me to have a Super Record grouppo with Record direct mount brakes (or god forbid the non-series Campagnolo direct mounts).
Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM

I've got Record EPS v3 arriving on a new acquisition next week - this thread is getting my stoke level a notch higher
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Only thing I'd add here is the record/super record stuff is interchangeable, the Chorus/Athena bits are not.
What are the main differences b/t these (Record/SR vs. Chorus/Athena)?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly View Post
The connectors are different for some bizarre reason

Other than that...the usual differences similar to Mechanical. Though the Chorus FD cage is steel rather than alloy. Hmm, and the RD outer link is alloy rather than carbon.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly View Post
Im not sure there are any worth while at all. I think its mostly about keeping the expensive stuff separated from the "cheap" stuff
Old 03-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93svt96 View Post
Thanks for the info. So the V2 has the external battery mount on the frame?
v1 is the chunky external battery

v2 is a fat internal with a charge plug that needs a hole in your frame

v3 is skinny internal with the app and charge port on the junction box
Old 03-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Sounds like I should be patient and wait for a deal on the V3, thanks everyone.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Definitely worth waiting for a good deal on V3. I have Record EPS V3 on both my bikes. Flawless
Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Anyone running EPS v4? I've got an aero seatpost and not sure if the battery adaptor needs to be the 27.2 or 31.6. obviously the aero post is not round, so maybe I don't use the adaptor? Anyone know?
Old 12-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Depends on the shape of the post, you can probably just wrap the battery with bar tape or inner tube to get it to fit snugly in the post.