Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 11:08 AM

HED Belgium Plus vs HED Eroica

I hear and see LOTS of praise for the Belgium Plus which has a 25mm external, 21mm internal widths and weighs a reported 469g.

Yet I hardly hear any mention of the Belgium Plus "Eroica" model with is wider 30mm external and 25mm internal width, weighing less at 453g.

The dimensions of the Eroica model seem more aligned with today's all roads wheel sizes. Why does it seem to be missing from the conversation? What am I missing?

Anyone have experience with these?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I hear and see LOTS of praise for the Belgium Plus which has a 25mm external, 21mm internal widths and weighs a reported 469g.

Yet I hardly hear any mention of the Belgium Plus "Eroica" model with is wider 30mm external and 25mm internal width, weighing less at 453g.

The dimensions of the Eroica model seem more aligned with today's all roads wheel sizes. Why does it seem to be missing from the conversation? What am I missing?

I think they're just too new to have many reviews..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post

Nice little writeup by November Wheels on the rim:
https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...m-eroica-alloy

Seems like with the big ID the rim is mostly for tires 32mm and up, and the extended lip will help with impacts and damage but limit the appeal for roadies. And the weights seem to account for the fact these are disc only, so some weight could be saved by not having to design the rim to take the side loads of caliper brakes (the earlier Belgium + disc rims were just rim brake rims without the machined brake track).

The main issue regarding lack of outside attention is that the rim is still not widely available for retail purchase, seems like only a few places have them in stock and the rim is mostly seen on Hed wheelset builds. But like the predecessor I'm sure they'll be if not the, near the best alloy rims available.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:34 PM

These rims remind me of a number of 29"-er rims I've seen. Which is probably not inappropriate, as the distinction between gravel bikes and MTBs becomes murkier.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:35 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
limit the appeal for roadies.

"Max pressure is 80psi"

Issue for some, with old school thinking I suppose. For road anyway. Target is Gravel obviously.

Ratio of gravel builds to disk road builds et al. Even @ 198lb I stay 28ish for go fast road. Although, my first road disc bike [frame] hasn't shipped just yet [Lynskey]
Old 02-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Administrator

they lost me at "disc only"
Old 02-18-2020, 12:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Gotta say, that lips looks like it may make mounting tires, especially tighter ones, a ball breaker..
Old 02-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

This guy gets it!

But also they're just very new and Belgiums have been a go-to for so long. I'm not sure I'd use these on a road build either if I went disc
Old 02-18-2020, 01:03 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
"Eroica" is a rather ironic name for a disc only rim.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
"Eroica" is a rather ironic name for a disc only rim.
Lol.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:05 PM

I've got a set of November's wheels coming in about 2 hours, according to UPS. New HED Eroica rims, I9 hubs (green green, not lime green!). I'm putting RH Steilacooms on 'em and will report back. I appreciate the irony mentioned above about disc only wheels for a rim called Eroica, btw. They'll go on my ti Firefly.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
I've got a set of November's wheels coming in about 2 hours, according to UPS. New HED Eroica rims, I9 hubs (green green, not lime green!). I'm putting RH Steilacooms on 'em and will report back. I appreciate the irony mentioned above about disc only wheels for a rim called Eroica, btw. They'll go on my ti Firefly.
Now that sounds just about perfect....

SPP
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM

SPP: We shall see! (I admire your exploits, mileage and photos, btw):

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-31-2021, 01:02 PM

So, does anyone have any experience with this rim yet? I was planning on getting a set of 650b White Industries G25’s, however they are currently sold out. So I’m back to the trusty Belgium+, however I’m also curious about the Eroica version with a wider ID 25mm/OD 30mm.

I’ll be running 650 x 48 tires, but do I really need the extra little bit of volume? Probably not, but just thinking out loud here.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
So, does anyone have any experience with this rim yet? I was planning on getting a set of 650b White Industries G25’s, however they are currently sold out. So I’m back to the trusty Belgium+, however I’m also curious about the Eroica version with a wider ID 25mm/OD 30mm.

I’ll be running 650 x 48 tires, but do I really need the extra little bit of volume? Probably not, but just thinking out loud here.
I have a pair of wheels built with them in 700c that I’ve run everything from 38mm slicks to 29x2.1 XC tires on. I think with any higher volume tire they just give a really nice profile to the tire. You won’t regret it. Tubeless setup is flawless too.