Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 01:20 PM

This thread is a bad influence.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
The bike won't make you faster. I'm always that one guy in the break with a steel bike. I pull through just fine. Spend the money on a coach if you want to see an improvement in speed.
I learned long ago to respect folks on steel bicycles. Also, steel frames with small frontal area probably do pretty well aerodynamically.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:40 PM

I think it's a tempting proposition. We're taught and marketed toward that it should make all the difference. But as others have said, position on a bike makes significantly more difference. You'd think everyone would clamor for a better bike fit...
Old 02-18-2020, 03:46 PM

I had a first generation LOOK 695 Aero, the integrated brakes were a lot of fuss to set up, and the rear ended up needing a brake booster to try to increase clamp force. It sure looked really fast...but it was a pain to dial in. This was back in 2012ish...I'm sure they have improved over the years though.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:58 PM

Trying to get faster, by cheating the wind. Purchased a Specialized Venge. O. My. God. So fast. So fun. The bicycle puts you in a time-trial / hour record position. Paired with an aero frame, aero wheels, low-rolling resistance wheelset that is also aero...the bike is a hoot. For my weight (180) I find the 28 mm tires from Continental work wonders to smooth out the bicycle's inherent stiffness. Don't plan on ever racing again, just wanted a bicycle to go very, very fast on. Mission accomplished.

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread, but there is a GCN channel on YouTube, that put out a video on the next level of bicycle clothing for ultimate speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2SM30kI-4
Old 02-18-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmadrecki View Post
I think it's a tempting proposition. We're taught and marketed toward that it should make all the difference. But as others have said, position on a bike makes significantly more difference. You'd think everyone would clamor for a better bike fit...
A good bike fit is an assumed baseline condition imo. You can get pretty low with narrow bars on a non aero bike and you can do ok. There’s plenty of low hanging fruit like tires and tighter kits too. But you have to wonder what you’re giving away, at least I do, versus people you encounter on aero bikes.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
This thread is a bad influence.
Ha. Everyone I know is buying these gravel beasts. I’m happy to know I’m not alone!!