Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 07:17 AM
Two wheels good

I have two friends who own these. I rode one of them. Nice bike, smooth ride and very stable at speed.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 AM

I had one of the first ones made. Took me a year to sell it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 8.26.06 AM.jpg (45.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
I agree. Seller states he will consider offers. If it were my size and seller would take $600 to 700, I think I would take it. I would not do the asking price. It does not state size, but it looks really tall. Frame could be stripped for the price of a can of stripper, the time it takes to sand it down to clean, smooth steel, and a basic one stage powder coating costs about $100, at least by the guy that has done mine. Two stage is $150 to 180. I love my Poprad and Tourmalet.
"...seller would take $600 to 700,"
Spot on, I got this frameset for $650. Goal is to use it for the Belgian Waffle Ride - if, i can fit 28C tires. I know some us 25C but I actually prefer 30C for So-Cal canyons secondary to rocks - lots and lots of embedded rocks. Either way, I hope to put many miles on her.
As with so many of you, I was a huge fan of Greg in my youth. So much so, I bought a Look carbon bike and a La Vie Claire kit. Pretty costly for a kid but I know it added an extra watt or two when I would climb my local hills with the older guys.
As luck would have it, years later I met Greg. We hung out for a good part of an evening. At the time he was heavily into open-wheel motorsports and I was/am a rabid F1 fan so we got along very well. That said, he knew I wanted to discuss key moments from the 85 and 86 tour and obliged me. A month later a friend handed me an issue of a local magazine with a picture of Greg and me - LUCK!
This amazing athlete has had such a big impact on my life and continues to do so as I'm now excited to own this frameset... can't wait to roll her out!
Old 01-29-2020, 03:16 PM

I saw one while out with the inlaws about a year ago and had to snap a quick picture, I wish there was more information/availability because it seems like a great modern day steel road bike, although there are a ton of great options.

Washoe.gif.jpg
Old 01-29-2020, 03:18 PM

Can anyone comment on the ride? I always wondered if those were stuff enough for climbing.