Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 08:28 AM

10sp daytona/centaur ultra shifters .

What´s the difference on the shifting parts from chorus/record? I have a pair here... it does not feel as quick shifting as my other powershift centaur. I wonder why...
Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
What´s the difference on the shifting parts from chorus/record? I have a pair here... it does not feel as quick shifting as my other powershift centaur. I wonder why...
If UltraShift(2009/10), 10s but the guts are the same except for the shift disc 'notches'(9 rather than 10 'notches'), plus a little deeper notches for mid 2009 SR/Record/Chorus..so 'clickier'. AND a toothed bushing in the front..one '10s' one '11s'.
Both Powershift and Ultrashift move the rear der with shift lever movement..except for upshift(to higher gear, smaller cog)..UltraSshift thumb button moves the der, Powershift thumb button 'releases' the rear der and the der spring moves it to a higher gear.

Different guts completely, Ultrashift to Powershift..
Old 01-23-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
If UltraShift(2009/10), 10s but the guts are the same except for the shift disc 'notches'(9 rather than 10 'notches'), plus a little deeper notches for mid 2009 SR/Record/Chorus..so 'clickier'. AND a toothed bushing in the front..one '10s' one '11s'.
Both Powershift and Ultrashift move the rear der with shift lever movement..except for upshift(to higher gear, smaller cog)..UltraSshift thumb button moves the der, Powershift thumb button 'releases' the rear der and the der spring moves it to a higher gear.

Different guts completely, Ultrashift to Powershift..
I know the difference in ultra x power. I have both. My question is daytona ultra x chorus ultra both 10sp circa 2000.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I know the difference in ultra x power. I have both. My question is daytona ultra x chorus ultra both 10sp circa 2000.
Externally (and mostly cosmetically), Record and some models of Chorus had carbon lever blades.

But what you're probably feeling is that in Chorus/Record shifters the main shaft rotated on a ball bearing, whereas Daytona/Centaur used a bushing for the main shaft movement. The bushing is draggier than the ball bearing.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Externally (and mostly cosmetically), Record and some models of Chorus had carbon lever blades.
The Record models were identical to the carbon Chorus ones (there was an earlier 10-speed alloy Chorus shifter set which also had the main shaft on ball-bearings), except for the group name branding and the former had a carbon-effect sticker on the shifter paddles. The later "Ultra" shifters have a lighter shifting feel to the older "BB System" labelled ones, though some (me included) prefer the latter.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford_Guy View Post
The Record models were identical to the carbon Chorus ones (there was an earlier 10-speed alloy Chorus shifter set which also had the main shaft on ball-bearings), except for the group name branding and the former had a carbon-effect sticker on the shifter paddles. The later "Ultra" shifters have a lighter shifting feel to the older "BB System" labelled ones, though some (me included) prefer the latter.
Oh that's right, later Ultra shifters (not Daytona/Centaur) had the carbon spring carrier. This was less brittle than the cast metal spring carrier (so it was less likely to break), and had a "lighter" shifter feel. I personally prefer the more solid and positive feel of the original metal spring carrier. (Fortunately the two types of spring carrier are interchangeable, so as they've worn I've replace all my carbon carriers with metal carriers).

Of all the Campagnolo brifters (8, 9, 10 and 11spd), my favorites are still the Chorus alloy 10spd shifters. They have the smoothness of the ball bearings, and the positive feel of the metal carrier. Plus they had a bigger recess for the brake cable end, so that just about any brand of brake cables can be used (carbon lever brakes have a smaller recess, and only Campy specific cables can be used). This allows me to use Gore's fully sealed brake cable systems.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Of all the Campagnolo brifters (8, 9, 10 and 11spd), my favorites are still the Chorus alloy 10spd shifters. They have the smoothness of the ball bearings, and the positive feel of the metal carrier. Plus they had a bigger recess for the brake cable end, so that just about any brand of brake cables can be used (carbon lever brakes have a smaller recess, and only Campy specific cables can be used). This allows me to use Gore's fully sealed brake cable systems.
I'm not too bothered about being able to use non-Campagnolo cable (as that's all I ever use on my Campagnolo-equipped bike), but I do also very much like the feel of the Chorus alloy 10-speed shifters, though think the dull matte anodizing is not as aesthetically pleasing as the shinier Veloce alloy shifters.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
But what you're probably feeling is that in Chorus/Record shifters the main shaft rotated on a ball bearing, whereas Daytona/Centaur used a bushing for the main shaft movement. The bushing is draggier than the ball bearing.
Exactly!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Ahh...2000..'Ultra and Power' type shifting terms not really until 2007/8 for Centaur and Veloce. As mentioned by Mark, bearing for central shaft vs brass bushing..

As per the carbon/resin spring carrier(Record 'Ultra', along with a coated and drilled shift disc)..it's
interesting whenCampag made those 'red' shifters..stiffer springs, they went back to the metal spring carrier. The carbon/resin one, altho didn't break or split as much, was a bit 'springy-er.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-24-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ahh...2000..'Ultra and Power' type shifting terms not really until 2007/8 for Centaur and Veloce. As mentioned by Mark, bearing for central shaft vs brass bushing..

As per the carbon/resin spring carrier(Record 'Ultra', along with a coated and drilled shift disc)..it's
interesting whenCampag made those 'red' shifters..stiffer springs, they went back to the metal spring carrier. The carbon/resin one, altho didn't break or split as much, was a bit 'springy-er.
Upshifting for lower gears on the daytona unit is as smooth as it can be but the "michey mouse ear" button used for taller gears is stiff giving me hand pain.