Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 AM

Very interesting options in France! My wife and I are not quite retirement age, but one can always dream! Going to spend some time looking up "retiring in France" today. Or even better - "retiring early in France and opening your own coffee shop / business"! It's -1 today in Vermont.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
Very interesting options in France! My wife and I are not quite retirement age, but one can always dream! Going to spend some time looking up "retiring in France" today. Or even better - "retiring early in France and opening your own coffee shop / business"! It's -1 today in Vermont.
It's getting up to about 50 F in the Dordogne region and will be comfortably into the 60-70 range in the day by the beginning of Mud Season Since you're not quite retirement age, now is the time to explore ! In Vermont, its good to know that from April to October you can fly direct from Montreal on Air Transat to Nice, Marseilles, Lyon, Toulouse, Bordeaux...to name a few destinations. Your bike costs $30 CAD. Then you can check out the cycling, the community, the food, have a blast. If you have any thoughts about doing this, send me a PM, and I can share the little write up we did about what we have learned traveling in France with our bikes. I'm looking forward to April.... x marks the spot. Its a good little climb up to the chateau on top of the village.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2238.jpg (89.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:08 PM

I'll play

I currently live on Long Island, and am within a few long years of ending my legal career. I've been all over this country, and am thinking of southern New England; coastal CT or RI for my retirement. My family has always spent summers in NE and my daughter attends college in Newport. I'm less tolerant of harsh winters, but even lesser tolerant of heat and humidity. I don't think I can hibernate in A/C for 12+ hours a day for 3-4 months when it looks nice outside my window. I've looked at some southern cities and college towns in the boonies, and they all have their pluses (lower cost of living and more space), but I'm drawn to the ocean, and find riding near the coast a necessity. RI puts me within driving distance of family in NY and Boston along with the healthcare facilities that I hope I'll never need. So, that's my plan unless someone in Mill Valley, CA wants to gift me a home and an annuity to pay taxes.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerckxMad View Post
I currently live on Long Island, and am within a few long years of ending my legal career. I've been all over this country, and am thinking of southern New England; coastal CT or RI for my retirement. My family has always spent summers in NE and my daughter attends college in Newport. I'm less tolerant of harsh winters, but even lesser tolerant of heat and humidity. I don't think I can hibernate in A/C for 12+ hours a day for 3-4 months when it looks nice outside my window. I've looked at some southern cities and college towns in the boonies, and they all have their pluses (lower cost of living and more space), but I'm drawn to the ocean, and find riding near the coast a necessity. RI puts me within driving distance of family in NY and Boston along with the healthcare facilities that I hope I'll never need. So, that's my plan unless someone in Mill Valley, CA wants to gift me a home and an annuity to pay taxes.
The weather in coastal San Diego County is hard to beat but the area has gotten a lot more crowded since I arrived in 1969. DUH! Real estate is expensive but property taxes are limited to about 1.2% of the purchase price with up to annual increases of 2% of the tax. During a couple of downturns in property values my taxes were reduced without me doing anything.Sometimes for fun I look at property listings in other areas and am shocked to see property taxes 2-3 times what they would be in San Diego and steeply rising rates annually.

If I were not firmly entrenched here I would consider living on The Central Coast around Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, and Cambria. The weather is lovely and prices for real estate lower.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:34 PM

Have you considered a place in Boca Del Vista? I mean if you can get in...
Old 01-17-2020, 03:30 PM

For those recommending retirement within the Schengen Zone

Does this presupposes that one could easily obtain an EU passport?

If not, are the suggestion relying upon something similar to a EB-5 visa?

Otherwise I can't imagine why a country would let someone near retirement immigrate and use its resources?
Old 01-17-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Does this presupposes that one could easily obtain an EU passport?

If not, are the suggestion relying upon something similar to a EB-5 visa?

Otherwise I can't imagine why a country would let someone near retirement immigrate and use its resources?
I don’t expect that one could easily obtain a passport, nor am I convinced that would be the best approach, at least in France. The issue of being a resident alien is complex and requires different visas depending on duration. In any case, there it is expected that the applicant demonstrate that resources exist to support living there, though I understand that once established, one can participate in things like the medical system. But yes, they certainly aren’t looking for sponges.