Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Question: Mavic Open Pro UST disc rims

So I'll need to build a set of 700 wheels for an incoming gravel frame (arriving at some point in the future). I already have a set of Enve M60 650 wheels I'll mount Terrene Elwood Tough 650B x 47mm tubeless for the rougher trails and dirt roads I'll put most of my miles on, but I figured I'd set up a lighter 700 wheelset for smoother days on the same hubs (I-9 Torch) for easy swaps. Who knows, maybe I can get rid of a road bike or two. I've been comparing the HED Belgium plus, the Easton R90 SL, and the Pacenti Forza Disc.

All pretty similar, apparently the Easton and the HEDs are made in the same factory. The Pacentis are offset, which should build into a stronger rim, and I'll assume that the SL23 issues have been fixed. I've ridden both V.1 and V. 2. SL23. Version 1. cracked at a spoke hole after several years of abuse, V. 2 is still going strong...but I just came across the Mavic Open Pro disc.

Great looking, about the same size (24 exterior, 19 interior) , a bit lighter. Don't need to worry about loud braking with disc, no dedicated spoke craziness, seems like a solid and slightly more affordable rim. Any actual experience building or riding? I'll be building them myself.

My other question, can you use them with any tubeless tire, or are you limited to UST? I've used UST on non-UST rims on MTBs with no issues. Will I be limited to Mavic/UST certified tires, or is this now just shorthand for tubeless. I've liked Schwalbe G-One tires on gravel bikes that see some road, will Tubeless Easy go onto UST rims? Anything else I should know?

Thanks all.

Last edited by DRZRM; 12-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:05 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Pic added. Good looking right?

Old 12-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Vendor

UST is just the brand name for a certification(the original one) for tubeless. Others use names like TCS and what not.

UST or TCS or who ever have a slightly different bead/rim profiles. But they all work the same way.

Can you use a NON-UST on a UST, yes. Just make sure it's a tubeless compatible tire and you should be fine.

Another note, since I checked yesterday for someone else, the Disc versions of this rim are out of stock. They listed yesterday that they would have 30 in on the 8th. NOW, they are showing the 15th of December they will have 30 in. But none in stock right now.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:32 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Thanks for that. I'm just getting near my place in Mike Z's cue (I hope) so no rush. I'm assuming that I'll be riding this bike when central PA thaws out in the spring. Thanks for the info though.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Thanks for that. I'm just getting near my place in Mike Z's cue (I hope) so no rush. I'm assuming that I'll be riding this bike when central PA thaws out in the spring. Thanks for the info though.
I'd also look at DT offerings, 460, 411, 511...very nice rims and OC for the 411.

I'd pass on the mavic, not great history with mavic rims..IMHO.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 PM

Been considering the Mavics. Have you looked at the Pacenti 25s?

Curious to hear what you end up deciding.