Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Pearl harbor day

A day that will live in infamy.
--FDR
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM

And now, Japan is our greatest friend and ally in Asia. The story of how that happened is worth remembering with our current status among nations.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM
You still here?

I arrived to do my USAF tour at Hickam AFB, which adjoins Pearl Harbor, in 1961. There were/are many reminders of the Dec 7 attack. The PacAF headquarters building, while repaired and repainted, still bore graphic evidence with numerous pock marks from shell and shrapnel strikes all over it. The hanger I worked in had a small number of the twisted and blackened overhead girders purposely left after it was repaired as a poignant tribute to those who had died or survived there. To this day I remember the lump in my throat when I first saw those.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Classics Fan

4 more years, and we'll hit the point when Pearl Harbor occurred closer to the start of the Civil War than to the present...

Damn, too much to say, and not sure where to start. To those that lost their lives, you are remembered.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM

A very terrible time in history.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:42 PM

My Grandfather re-enlisted in the Navy the day after they bombed Pearl Harbor. The day after that he married my Grandma and few days after that he was shipped off to couple of different spots before he became a "Tin Can" sailor on the USS Douglas H Fox.

My mom named me after that ship.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:18 PM

Many of us have/had family who served in WWII. As time has passed, their sense of duty has magnified for me. Remembrance days remind us to pause and reflect. To all of you who have served, Thank You.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 PM

My Dad was a boiler maker on the US Patterson DD 392, a Bagley class destroyer that was moored at berth X-11 in Pearl harbor on 12/7/1941. Dad never talked about it much, but when Victory at Sea aired when I was growing up, I could see the episodes about Pearl Harbor made him uncomfortable. It is another day of the year I think about him and it is worth remembering the sacrifices of all those who did not survive that day. Below is an image of the Patterson that was in my Dad's files, along with others that chronicled her trip through the Pacific war. The Patterson was credited with shooting down one Japanese plane attacking the sea plane tender USS Curtis during the Pearl Harbor attack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan 2.jpg (54.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 PM

Flew back from Honolulu on Monday, the captain announced there was a 104 year old Pearl Harbor Vet on the flight, everyone gave him a warm applause. When we landed the fire department was at the gate and gave him a water salute. Very nice