Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Who likes Bont shoes?

There are some past season Vaypors on Bont's site, and the Riots are all over the internet for relatively inexpensive prices (<$140).

I've always been interested in Bont's. I like the idea of the stiff heat-moldable soles.

Who has any experience with these shoes?

Currently wearing Fizik R3's, Favorite shoes: Sidi Genius 5's.

Thanks for your input!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 AM

I swapped from Fiziks to Bonts this year. Love them. The fit is very different, but the wider toe box has been a benefit.

The heat molding works and is pretty cool. They're crazy stiff and maybe don't have quite the same fit and finish as some of the other brands out there, but I find them extremely comfortable and seem durable.

One word of warning, they supply cleat bolts with their shoes, but they didn't work with my Time pedals. Had to Dremel down the length of the standard Time bolts so they didn't poke into my foot.

The supplied insoles pretty much suck, so I'd go with whatever you prefer over the stock ones. Oh, and I found they had a bit lower stack height, so had to tweak saddle height a bit.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:23 AM

Why did I read the thread title to the tune of "Who wears short shorts..."?

I tried on the Riots at an LBS but the strap wouldn't ratchet down enough to give me a secure fit.
I ordered the Blitz from Merlin a few months back but sold them soon after I got them. I just couldn't get the soles to mold very well to the shape of my feet. There was always some point cutting into me. The arch didn't seem to be very moldable so if you have flat feet then be forewarned. When I would heat them to the temperature per instructions, they still needed a fair bit of elbow grease to move the carbon.
I don't think the tub-shaped soled shoes really work for me. I've always had wide, hard to fit feet so I got fed up with the Bonts and sold them. Decided I'd stick to shoes with "flat" soles so the upper material could have some give to match my foot shape. They also have that steep angle for the toe profile so if have a Morton's toe then you have to take that into consideration when choosing a size.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:32 AM

I have flat feet so the high arches they have dont work for me
Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Same here. But if they fit, they're great.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 AM
needs adult supervision

The shape of the sole/foot box works for me, but two things don't. Hard to find a footbed that's comfortable that works with the shape of the sole. And I find the upper to be overly stiff and uncomfortable. Softer, more pliable uppers/straps/closures feel better on my other shoes.

Bont has really good points, but the total package falls short for my tootsies.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 AM

I've had the Vaypor S for about a year. I rotate between them and Sidi Wires. Both are size 43, and I would say the Bonts fit snugger than Sidi. Bont stiffness is very noticeable. The molding works great and the they feel like they were molded to your feet. In fact, when I undo the BOA and pull the shoe off, it makes a suction noise. Great performance shoe.When compared to Sidi, the Wires are a better quality finish, but the Vaypor S has held up well.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC
I've avoided them because I have a very wide foot with a fairly high arch and high instep, and I read on here in a previous thread that they are better for flat low volume feet.

I wonder if that was incorrect, and I should actually be giving them a try.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I've avoided them because I have a very wide foot with a fairly high arch and high instep, and I read on here in a previous thread that they are better for flat low volume feet.

I liked the high arch support in the Fiziks when they first came out, and have found plenty of arch support in the Bonts, especially once you get them molded.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:

I have narrow feet with a very high arch and I love the Bonts.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Bont is a really nice shoe but are tough to fit if you have weird feet. Crazy stiff and in my case i forgot i was even using the shoes at some point.

The arch issue some are claiming is kind'a real but the reason the shoe is like that is for you to avoid falling arches so the arch is hard is high so the arch stays still. My way to fix the problem because if your arch are flexible the shoe will pinch you in the middle of the arch, so what I did was to put like a shim in front and in the back of the upper part of the arch under the insole, that creates a more natural contour of my arch and the pain went away, after that no problem.

My shoes were getting old (A1s) so at the time to replace them went Lake, which are the closest to bont in the toe box. Had to go lake because I couldnt pay for bonts vaypors for example, you cant find them for a good price anywhere.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:33 PM

I love my Bonts, but they are custom, I have huge feet, so I don't think my experience really counts. That said they are far superior to the D2s I had previously.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM

I have a pair at home that I've been procrastinating on trying - this thread may nudge me to spend an hour seeing if I can get them to fit.

Question: if I try molding them to my feet, does that kill the resale?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I have a pair at home that I've been procrastinating on trying - this thread may nudge me to spend an hour seeing if I can get them to fit.

Question: if I try molding them to my feet, does that kill the resale?
You can remold them indefinitely according to Bont, so no.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Everything I have read is that Bonts work best on normal to wider feet with normal to high arches. But some people LOVE them so I wanted to see if I could make them work.

They do not work for my flat feet as the build in arch pushes up into my arch so much it hurt. I tried molding them and different insoles, even 2 thinner insoles at the same time, it was better but never could get it right.