Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 02:09 AM
Vendor

Help, Campy Ergo Overshifting

I've got a set of 10 speed Campy ergos with some shifting problems. When I shift from a small to bigger cog, the rear derailleur overshifts ever so slightly. I can get the rear derailleur to settle into place by giving the thumb lever a little touch. It's almost like I need to trim the rear derailleur a little bit right after shifting from a small cog to a bigger cog.

The shifts, however, are fine when going the opposite direction (i.e., shifting from a big cog to a smaller cog). There's also no problem staying in gear so I don't think it's the G-springs.

I replaced the rear section of housing that goes into the rear derailleur, but that didn't help. Any other thoughts? I'm guessing something inside the Ergo shifter body needs to be lubed.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 AM

Have you tried a bit less cable tension?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Have you tried a bit less cable tension?
Yes, I've tried playing with the cable tension, b-screw, and even the high/low limit screws.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 AM

Have you taken it apart and put it back together again? That's one of the wonders of campy over shimano/sram.

But I would try running some lube through it first, if you're not familiar with its disassembly/reassembly. Running lube through shifters on occasion is good maintenance.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 AM

I would suggest the RD stop screw a bit more outward, and maybe a tad less tension on the cable. It will adjust perfectly.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I've got a set of 10 speed Campy ergos with some shifting problems. When I shift from a small to bigger cog, the rear derailleur overshifts ever so slightly. I can get the rear derailleur to settle into place by giving the thumb lever a little touch. It's almost like I need to trim the rear derailleur a little bit right after shifting from a small cog to a bigger cog.

The shifts, however, are fine when going the opposite direction (i.e., shifting from a big cog to a smaller cog). There's also no problem staying in gear so I don't think it's the G-springs.

I replaced the rear section of housing that goes into the rear derailleur, but that didn't help. Any other thoughts? I'm guessing something inside the Ergo shifter body needs to be lubed.
I suspect the spring carrier is broken. There's a post on it that has a wound up spring attached and when that breaks, it's almost impossible to adjust the rear der. Send it to me for a complete, front to back overhaul/clean/libe. Parts are about $27..$15 for a spring carrier, $12 for 2 shift springs.

Peter
Old 12-06-2017, 08:47 AM

I'd do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Send it to me for a complete, front to back overhaul/clean/libe. Parts are about $27..$15 for a spring carrier, $12 for 2 shift springs.

Peter
Maybe not this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Have you taken it apart and put it back together again?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM

What potato says, that lever needs to be rebuilt.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:20 AM
Vendor

So, just to tie up this thread - I ended up replacing the g-springs (and carrier). I've done the procedure before and had an extra set of spares. I remember it going fairly smoothly last time. I was rushing it today and of course it took a lot longer as springs went in backwards, washers were missed, and g-springs were falling out. I was 30 seconds away from sweeping everything into a sandwich baggie and sending them off.

I thought worn g-springs meant ghost shifting into a smaller cog and not problems with overshifting into a bigger cog. Anyway, shifting is all good now.

The carrier post was still intact but had a decent sized notch at the base so I went ahead and replaced it.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Is not a bad idea replace the 2 springs together with the carrier.