Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I believe that the days of the UK shops dumping product to the USA are coming to an end. Sure, there are some good deals to be had, but they're not like a year or two ago. No more free shipping. Prices are up, x% off coupons are rare. Black Friday was a non-event. Some manufacturers are blocking out USA shipment of their products. Time will tell.
'MO' 'landscape' is becoming more 'regional'...ordering from the UK? Deal with UK outfit, in the US? US outfit...is the way distribution is headed, or at least the way some manufacturers want it to head.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
'MO' 'landscape' is becoming more 'regional'...ordering from the UK? Deal with UK outfit, in the US? US outfit...is the way distribution is headed, or at least the way some manufacturers want it to head.
I thought that was the way it was supposed to be. I can't stand MAP pricing, and I'm all for an open world market, but dumping is dumping.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Administrator

ribble has become practically irrelevant in the market now. their inventory is crap, compared to what it used to be.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I can't stand MAP pricing, and I'm all for an open world market, but dumping is dumping.

That's not dumping. Dumping is when you sell at a lower price in the foreign market (compared to your local market price). The UK pricing would actually be fair market price.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
That's not dumping. Dumping is when you sell at a lower price in the foreign market (compared to your local market price). The UK pricing would actually be fair market price.
Call it what you will. When a retailer sells a retail product in a foreign market below the wholesale cost in that same market, to me that's dumping. The local retailer can't compete.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
exactly, this isn't dumping. In the mean time I've had the best luck lately with Chain Reaction, didn't know they were bought. Do agree the glory days of this may be over, I've bought more through Competitive Cyclist lately (again, glory days are over since back country buy out, we need a blogger!)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Actually, if you are going to go mail order, I like Competitive Cyclist. They assign an account rep specifically to you. When I need something (other than campag), I just call the rep and say, "look, let's talk about this price...". Usually, we can come to a fair price.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Davist;2274370.... I've bought more through Competitive Cyclist lately (again, glory days are over since back country buy out, we need a blogger!)[/QUOTE]

Funny, we must have both been typing this at the same time!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:30 AM
'97 Ti Legend

This! Exceptional deals still pop up on Europe sites, but the CC rep is very easy to work with. They have started charging tax to my state, but he takes that into consideration when putting together a price package. The days of crazy UK pricing seem to be coming to an end (though Merlin still has some amazing deals) but I have to say, Competitive Cyclist is doing a good job actually improving customer service while the rest of the market seems to be going in the opposite direction.

Quote:
Actually, if you are going to go mail order, I like Competitive Cyclist. They assign an account rep specifically to you. When I need something (other than campag), I just call the rep and say, "look, let's talk about this price...". Usually, we can come to a fair price.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM
aka RAEKWON

anyone ever order from Bikeinn?

They had by far the best price for etap when I was shopping around. Decided to buy from a forum member instead because did not want to deal with customs and a site I never ordered from.

I have bought from ribble, merlin and PBK. They all have been fine. PBK took the longest to get here. Ribble was the fastest. They sent me the wrong thing and were very helpful in making it right. Merlin was great, stuff got here, best price for that item but been seeing they have the best price on a lot of things.

It all comes to the, do you want warranty or not. Its a pain if anything happens to your $1000 groupset. It really is hard though. I bought these shifters for $120 on merlin, people were paying for used ones on ebay $160.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Isn’t ‘dumping’ selling at below manufacturers cost? Selling a widget for $10 when it costs $15? Rear der in UK LBS more than same item from UK MO...not dumping, as I understand ‘dumping’ but no expert.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Just a shameless plug for a forum sponsor, BikeTiresDirect has been fantastic on what bits I've ordered from them, from a pretty killer deal they had on Corsa Graphenes to my Feedback Ominium trainer.

Seems like a good bunch running that place.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:53 PM

Like many things the best days for ordering from the UK mail order places seem to be behind us. I'm glad I stocked up a few years ago on enough parts to last for the rest of my cycling days.

And another plug for Prendas - great guys to deal with and they have different stuff.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Isn’t ‘dumping’ selling at below manufacturers cost? Selling a widget for $10 when it costs $15? Rear der in UK LBS more than same item from UK MO...not dumping, as I understand ‘dumping’ but no expert.
No, the term "dumping" refers to an illegal tactic to soften a market thru lower pricing than you sell for in your own backyard. It protects against a foreign, say steel company, coming into the US and dropping the price to put all the US companies out of business. Then, once the domestic sources are gone, jacking the price up and taking over the market.
Since the UK guys just offer their UK price, it is not dumping.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Jensonusa.com has pretty good pricing and fast shipping. also biketiresdirect.com is not bad.
Agree with this on both counts.
As a strictly anecdotal point, Jenson has the Shimano A600 pedals @$58 right now, $66 on Wiggle, Chain Reaction.
Bike Tires Direct's daily and weekly deals are very good, and their customer service has been excellent for me.