Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Given that the "classic softshell" was $375, this wool for $500 is not outrageous.
expensive yes, outrageous no.
the raeburn wind jacket they made from recycled parachute material - now that was expensive and outrageous.

the true test is if it works and how it fits. I wear a large in most rapha jerseys but need a XL in their jackets to fit my shoulders. so that leaves some extra torso material I would rather not have in the classic cut.

ever heard of arc'teryx veilance?
you better bring twice the bag of money to shop those products
arcteryx does amazing stuff. Its one of those things, they are expensive, sure, but also excellent

https://veilance.arcteryx.com/us/en/...trol-Down-Coat

I wish I had $1800 for a jack, damn thats sweet.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Bike Guy

We've been here before. Remember the $700 Mac Softshell?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 PM

Maybe somebody already said this but: this jacket costs a lot less than :

A nice watch, a track day for a Ferrari, or Ducati, or a plane ticket, a rare scotch, lingerie from Agent Provocateur, ahem, Braces for your kid, a roof rack, a big t.v., some nice speakers, a 10,000 mile service for your BMW...oh wow, the list goes on and on.

The point I want to make is: this jacket is pure profit for Rapha and it will give them a chance to offer their core products at a lower price and/or pay for their instagram-based R&D team. If someone is willing to pay for it, then caveat emptor. No Biggie--it serves the sport.

The only real issue I see here is that a lot of people are worried about Rapha turning cycling into golf. I wholeheartedly concur with this concern...and they are.

BUT, at the same time as a kid that grew up in the 90's, when cycling was so unapproachable because it was a sport where only a few people existed that had hundreds of dollars to spend on itchy shorts, bouncy bikes, and endless razors. I really like that Rapha has turned Cycling, a sport, into a LIFESTYLE, like skateboarding surfing, or more realistically, hiking/golf/fishing.

What a transformation.

If you combine Rapha's romantic imagery with the interest in cycling drummed up by Lance. A...you get a really approachable sport, (financially and socially) that more and more people are interested in.

And

The best part is that it's all still bikes.

All still two-wheeled fun that everyone is excited about. The only drawback I suppose is that a lot of people know about it. Rapha freakin' leveraged our elitism against us.

For me, I'm into sharing and if there's a market for a $500 jacket, I at least know that there's also a CAAD 8.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:10 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Maybe somebody already said this but: this jacket costs a lot less than :

A nice watch, a track day for a Ferrari, or Ducati, or a plane ticket, a rare scotch, lingerie from Agent Provocateur, ahem, Braces for your kid, a roof rack, a big t.v., some nice speakers, a 10,000 mile service for your BMW...oh wow, the list goes on and on.

The point I want to make is: this jacket is pure profit for Rapha and it will give them a chance to offer their core products at a lower price and/or pay for their instagram-based R&D team. If someone is willing to pay for it, then caveat emptor. No Biggie--it serves the sport.

The only real issue I see here is that a lot of people are worried about Rapha turning cycling into golf. I wholeheartedly concur with this concern...and they are.

BUT, at the same time as a kid that grew up in the 90's, when cycling was so unapproachable because it was a sport where only a few people existed that had hundreds of dollars to spend on itchy shorts, bouncy bikes, and endless razors. I really like that Rapha has turned Cycling, a sport, into a LIFESTYLE, like skateboarding surfing, or more realistically, hiking/golf/fishing.

What a transformation.

If you combine Rapha's romantic imagery with the interest in cycling drummed up by Lance. A...you get a really approachable sport, (financially and socially) that more and more people are interested in.

And

The best part is that it's all still bikes.

All still two-wheeled fun that everyone is excited about. The only drawback I suppose is that a lot of people know about it. Rapha freakin' leveraged our elitism against us.

For me, I'm into sharing and if there's a market for a $500 jacket, I at least know that there's also a CAAD 8.

+1

I also think that Rapha isn't as elite as they/we might think they are. The really elite don't feel the need to scream out their name in large letters .

Last edited by ispy; 12-06-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
arcteryx does amazing stuff. Its one of those things, they are expensive, sure, but also excellent

https://veilance.arcteryx.com/us/en/...trol-Down-Coat

I wish I had $1800 for a jack, damn thats sweet.
I have a veilance jacket. Well worth the money. 4 years old and looks like new. It is a combo jacket, so it is good for year round wear and I do, summer it is a rain coat, fall, I use the liner and winter it is a really warm coat.

Also it is made in Canada with high end materials and finishes.

If you search you can usually find arcteryx on discount at end of season, my wife got mine for $750 USD, down from $1500USD. I would pay the $1500 USD for it if I had to replace it.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispy View Post
+1

I also think that Rapha isn't as elite as they/we might think they are. The really elite don't feel the need to scream out their name in large letters.
You mean like this?

I kid -- I'm a fan (but that particular jersey was a miss).
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM

It's time to pull this one out again.....

Old 12-06-2017, 11:44 AM

A Loro Piana Ribbed Cashmere Beanie Hat is like $315 at Neiman.
Their normal winter coats are $5,000.

$500 for a jacket, seems like a bargain.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 12-06-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Those suede bits just seem really out of place to me.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Glory bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Pftttt $500 jacket. Send in the German's... This bad boy is $700!!

Hanger included?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Let's not forget that for less than half the price of that new Rapha jacket, you can be a weight weenie coffee drinker (watts saved sipping espresso = watts available for pedaling, right?):

https://fairwheelbikes.com/tune-coffee-mug/
Old 12-06-2017, 05:41 PM
doomsday device

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
The point I want to make is: this jacket is pure profit for Rapha and it will give them a chance to offer their core products at a lower price and/or pay for their instagram-based R&D team.

yes exactly, just like giving tax cuts to corporations and the upper .1% will trickle down and create jobs and salary hikes!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Now on sale for $375, reduced from $500. All sizes available as of this writing except for L.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/s...roduct/CWW01XX