Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post
But this wasn't a bad bearing or a loose nylock nut. Not sure why this happened - which is my main concern.

Too much play in the body allowed the nylock nut to gradually eat through the sealed bearing?
It looks to me like a faulty design. These pedals (and a few others) use very small radial cartridge bearings to handle lateral loads. As their name implies, radial bearings are intended to handle radial loads, and have much less capacity to handle side loads. As can be seen in the photos, the tiny cartridge bearings were basically ripped apart, with the inner race remaining on the spindle and the outer race remaining in the pedal body.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It looks to me like a faulty design. These pedals (and a few others) use very small radial cartridge bearings to handle lateral loads. As their name implies, radial bearings are intended to handle radial loads, and have much less capacity to handle side loads. As can be seen in the photos, the tiny cartridge bearings were basically ripped apart, with the inner race remaining on the spindle and the outer race remaining in the pedal body.
Thanks - your description sums up why I'll be moving to something else (spd's in my case). The CB pedal body to spindle attachment has left me uneasy after this failure. What other pedal systems use a similar design?

Shimano's design appears to be very different with the inboard spindle threaded to hold the body. In some pictures it looks like a lock bolt. I wonder how that is held onto the spindle if it is a separate piece?
Old 12-04-2017, 05:07 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post
Thanks - your description sums up why I'll be moving to something else (spd's in my case). The CB pedal body to spindle attachment has left me uneasy after this failure. What other pedal systems use a similar design?

Shimano's design appears to be very different with the inboard spindle threaded to hold the body. In some pictures it looks like a lock bolt. I wonder how that is held onto the spindle if it is a separate piece?
I’m not very good at describing this but the pedal spindle assy (#1) is held together by the outboard bearing race and locknut on the small end of the spindle much like a hub is. There is virtually no lateral play in the spindle. The lockbolt (#2) is deeply threaded into the pedal body which holds everything secure and keeps the bearing grease in place. It’s a pretty simple, effective design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93AD3A2C-2A22-4007-BAC4-491E7D760807.jpg (78.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM

The old Dura Ace SPDs worked fine - but quickly realized why I had switched. Feels like the cleat/pedal interface is not very tight. I'm not talking about the lateral float, but more of a vertical looseness. If I pull up on the upstroke, I can feel the cleat click back down on the downstroke. Becomes bothersome very quickly.

Got the new XTR SPDs - better, but still noticeable vertical play during the stroke if I pull up on the upstroke.

These are with new cleats. Everything is tight. Tried both the fixed and multirelease cleat. Both shoes (Sidi Genius and Dominators) with same results.

Is this normal for SPDs?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
A few years ago at the Sea Otter Classic (big bike race festival in Monterery, CA) Crank Bros had a double E-Z up with a number of stations where customers could do their own pedal bearing replacements, and the stations were always full. That told me all I needed to know.
hah. fair enough. it's worth noting though that they are the most popular off-road pedal in the states. in my experience, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeww View Post
i have used them on all my bikes for the last 5 years and they are crap. I actually live directly behind their Corp office and i am positive they will ship you a free set if you reach out to them. Been meaning to switch over to Time Atacs but havent made the jump yet
I like the new gen of ATACs but they do have the issue of the spring retention pins backing out. I've super glued mine in and so far, so good. ATACs are nice when you don't like other people riding your bike. nobody runs 'em.