Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2017, 12:27 AM

Rapha Overshoes?

Looking for an overshoe to be used in the Northwest. My feet get cold rather easily and I am trying to spend more time riding in the rain as well. I have had good luck with Rapha's bib shorts and thus would like any input on their overshoes or another cold wet weather alternative. As always thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:04 AM

https://www.spatzwear.com/products/spatz-pro-overshoes

I just got a pair of these. They are probably overkill here in Bermuda but I hate wet feet when I am riding so they will probably get used when the mercury dips below 60F!

They feel well made and fit nicely. I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I am actually looking forward to some cold rain to give them a try.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:07 AM

You might consider a pair of cold weather shoes. There are more and more choices these days. I use Giro Alpinedura Nov-May, which are also waterproof. These are for mtb cleats only though. For really extreme weather I have 45 North Wolvhammer, which are very bulky. But the Giro are still reasonably shoe-like. I sometimes use a small pair of gaiters over the Giro but aside from that I am pretty much done with shoe covers.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
You might consider a pair of cold weather shoes. There are more and more choices these days. I use Giro Alpinedura Nov-May, which are also waterproof. These are for mtb cleats only though. For really extreme weather I have 45 North Wolvhammer, which are very bulky. But the Giro are still reasonably shoe-like. I sometimes use a small pair of gaiters over the Giro but aside from that I am pretty much done with shoe covers.

The above is a great answer.
You can find additional info here and here.

If you decide not to go the full shoe route, there are many neoprene overshoes that work well. Some things to look for (I don't have any experience with Rapha's overshoes) --

- Full bottom or not full bottom. You will see some overshoes that have a full bottom (like the Raphas) while some don't (like the Pearl Izumi Soft Shell seen here). I have worn through a couple of pairs that had the full bottom. Whereas I have been using the Pearl Izumis for the past 3 years and they so no sign of wear ...because there is nothing to wear. If you are commuting and find yourself putting your foot down a lot or needing to walk at the beginning/end of the commute, keep this in mind. I am sure the full bottom does provide some additional level of warmth, I don't think it is a drastic amount.

-Closure. You will see some that zip in the back (like the Rapha) and some use velcro. Most modern shoe covers have nice fat zippers that last. They look like wetsuit zippers. Avoid any pairs that are using small (normal looking) zippers. There is pressure on these zippers and small zippers will break. Velcro works fine and proves a level of flexibility around snuggness because you can alter how tight you close them.

- Material. Like any material that keeps the elements out, it also means they keep the elements in...aka sweat. Most modern shoe covers that are rated for warm weather are going to be some type of neoprene. The same stuff they make wetsuits out of...see a theme? Some will have additional insulation and some will just be the cover. I prefer the insulated variety because they are warmer.

- Bulk. The overshoes make your shoes bulkier. If you already have shoe rub on your cranks, it will get worst because the outside of your shoes have more material with the overshoes. Be the way - this can be an issue with the winter shoes as well.

- Cleats. Back in the day, we used to have to do some modifications to overshoes to fit certain cleats because the opening on the bottom of the overshoes were not big enough or were the wrong shape. Everyone has this sorted out now but the reason I bring it up is, if you are running your cleats mid-foot and go to use overshoes with full bottoms, the opening will not be in the correct place.

With all that said, the Raphas look like a good option.

Last edited by bewheels; 11-26-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:25 AM
aka RAEKWON

Overshoes can only do so much and are such a pain tonget on and off. Winter shoes is definitely one of the best purchases you will make if you are serious about ridding through winter. I bought some for last winter and was super inpressed. Fully waterproof and dont even need a winter sock.

Was excited to wear wm this year but it hasnt even been that cold yet.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Overshoes can only do so much and are such a pain tonget on and off. Winter shoes is definitely one of the best purchases you will make if you are serious about ridding through winter. I bought some for last winter and was super inpressed. Fully waterproof and dont even need a winter sock.

Was excited to wear wm this year but it hasnt even been that cold yet.
I have to agree with this. I futzed around with overshoes for years and they worked after a fashion, for sure. Last year, there were some good deals on winter shoes, and I got a pair of Lakes. They are a little bulky, but not bad, and my feet are comfortable. So far, I've tried them out down to about 17°F and breezy. Also some wet weather from time to time, and I stay dry. I don't know how all the different winter shoes stack up against each other, but overall, I bet any one of them makes a big difference.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 AM

I just bought a pair of the Rapha overshoes because they are on sale. I live in NM and I don't ride in wet (because we don't do wet here) but I do ride in the cold (low 30's).

I finally have my road shoes dialed in so just made sense to me to get overshoes.

It will probably be a while before I need them but I'll let you know what I think.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:52 PM
v a n i l l a

overshoes for cold work nicely.

but if you are in a sustained rain, they too will soak, and once they soak, your feet will be miserable.

the longest I have ridden in the rain was an 8 hour day...raining from start to end. that was miserable.