Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Thats really nice of you binxnyrwarrsoull! I applaud you
Old 12-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Screw eBay

Ebay F$&*ed me. It’s refusing to refund my purchase price because my account was hacked in October and my purchase was made in late November. It doesn’t matter that I didn’t buy or sell anything on eBay in the interim. eBay is now telling me to take the matter up with PayPal, which already denied my claim because the item supposedly was delivered. In the meanwhile, it also deleted the bad feedback I left the seller. I’m done with eBay and PayPal.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Ebay F$&*ed me. It’s refusing to refund my purchase price because my account was hacked in October and my purchase was made in late November. It doesn’t matter that I didn’t buy or sell anything on eBay in the interim. eBay is now telling me to take the matter up with PayPal, which already denied my claim because the item supposedly was delivered. In the meanwhile, it also deleted the bad feedback I left the seller. I’m done with eBay and PayPal.
Sucks--it seems to be the 'new normal'--finger pointing. Keep at it though--even if you have to threaten small claims court. (I find the first and second level eBay people are the worst customer service reps I have had to deal with to date--they will lie to your face to get you off the phone--even the so-called "supervisors.)

And how would you know that the account had been hacked until you had something shipped?

Our Neflix account was recently hacked, and a second account was opened using our AMEX. It took my wife a couple of months to notice that a second payment had been going through on a different day (and for a different amount) than our regular account. (And because it was a second account, we had no visibility into its details).

Netflix (even though the hack was likely on their side) would only refund the most recent month's second charge, and argued that AMEX should cover the other second payments. Meanwhile, as the AMEX people said, what they saw at their end was two legitimate charges approved by Netflix...

AMEX did resolve--but it was unfair to them.

Last edited by paredown; 12-05-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Sucks--it seems to be the 'new normal'--finger pointing. Keep at it though--even if you have to threaten small claims court. (I find the first and second level eBay people are the worst customer service reps I have had to deal with to date--they will lie to your face to get you off the phone--even the so-called "supervisors.)

And how would you know that the account had been hacked until you had something shipped?

Our Neflix account was recently hacked, and a second account was opened using our AMEX. It took my wife a couple of months to notice that a second payment had been going through on a different day (and for a different amount) than our regular account. (And because it was a second account, we had no visibility into its details).

Netflix (even though the hack was likely on their side) would only refund the most recent month's second charge, and argued that AMEX should cover the other second payments. Meanwhile, as the AMEX people said, what they saw at their end was two legitimate charges approved by Netflix...

AMEX did resolve--but it was unfair to them.
PayPal told me to call my bank. My bank is going to investigate, and do what? Require PayPal to reimburse it so my bank can reimburse me?

This is dumb. I figured they just want to make it difficult enough to dissuade me from pursuing the matter,
Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM

Re:

As a former seller on Ebay, I seem to recall that PayPal required sellers to use the address that they listed as part of their terms of service.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure whether this would apply in your case, but I had a couple of incidents in the last few years where a "recurring" PayPal charge was paid out of my bank account. I called my bank to say I did not authorize or recognize this charge. My bank immediately refunded me the payment and opened an "investigation." Not sure what they investigated, but in the end I got to keep the refunded payment, I assume because the vendor admitted they charged me for some recurring thing I had never authorized. In both cases, I had authorized the initial, one-time payment, but never authorized another one. My bank's investigation bore that out somehow, so the payments were refunded to me and I don't know if the bank got reimbursed by the vendor or not. In both cases, the charges were under $50, so that may explain why the bank did not seem worried about refunding me the payments.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
This is ridiculous I’d appeal
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
Not sure whether this would apply in your case, but I had a couple of incidents in the last few years where a "recurring" PayPal charge was paid out of my bank account. I called my bank to say I did not authorize or recognize this charge. My bank immediately refunded me the payment and opened an "investigation." Not sure what they investigated, but in the end I got to keep the refunded payment, I assume because the vendor admitted they charged me for some recurring thing I had never authorized. In both cases, I had authorized the initial, one-time payment, but never authorized another one. My bank's investigation bore that out somehow, so the payments were refunded to me and I don't know if the bank got reimbursed by the vendor or not. In both cases, the charges were under $50, so that may explain why the bank did not seem worried about refunding me the payments.

I’m at this stage right now. My bank is investigating.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
As a former seller on Ebay, I seem to recall that PayPal required sellers to use the address that they listed as part of their terms of service.
That was my recollection too, and precisely why I never looked at the address on file with eBay. I have a confirmed PayPal account and the shipping address is always in the email confirming payment. I guess that this has changed given that eBay owns PayPal now.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Ebay divested Paypal a few years ago. Not sure if that changed anything.

Quote:
That was my recollection too, and precisely why I never looked at the address on file with eBay. I have a confirmed PayPal account and the shipping address is always in the email confirming payment. I guess that this has changed given that eBay owns PayPal now.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Circling back

This issue has been resolved. While neither eBay nor PayPal would cover the loss (notwithstanding eBay’s supposed money back guarantee), the PayPal agent I spoke with suggested that I might contact my bank and make a fraud claim. I wasn’t optimistic, but contacted my bank as suggested. I got notified yesterday that the bank had completed its investigation and determined that the transfer of funds to PayPal to cover the purchase at issue was unauthorized, and it credited my account.

I guess it’s now between PayPal, eBay and the seller to determine who is going to eat the loss, but it won’t be me. My heart bleeds for Sarafan2009, the seller who refused to lift a finger to help me recoup the goods that it shipped to a fraudulent address with no request for delivery confirmation.

In the interim, PayPal is requiring me to jump through all sorts of hoops to verify my identity and account information before I can use it again. My bank now has a service called Zelle that I can use for free to make payments, and I also use Apple Cash, so I likely will not use PayPal again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, support and assistance!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:59 PM

Bravo. Patience is rewarded though Ebay/Paypal should have refunded you much sooner.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Wow! Nice going! So, the bank is going after EBay/PPL/and-or Seller?
Old 12-20-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Wow! Nice going! So, the bank is going after EBay/PPL/and-or Seller?
The bank in essence reversed the transfer of funds into PayPal. I don’t know what PayPal will do now vis a vis eBay and the seller, if anything.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The bank in essence reversed the transfer of funds into PayPal. I don’t know what PayPal will do now vis a vis eBay and the seller, if anything.

If you have a secondary source of payment at PayPal, maybe they’ll go after that? Would be wise to remove that secondary method of payment, if you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro