Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
you didn't verify the shipping address at any point during the ordering process, esp. the last step before final confirmation and invoicing?
I saw it on PayPal when I made the payment and didn’t think to look at eBay.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I checked my shipping addresses after I saw that the item had been delivered to to the Ozone Park address. I instantly changed it back on eBay and set a new password. It hadn’t been changed on PayPal. I most certainly didn’t add the address (and don’t recognize it). Nor did I authorize delivery with a signature.

As others have said, if you could hack the account, it would seem that you’d use it before the hack was detected. The fact that the item was one of relatively sizable expense that can be readily resold as new makes me wonder. What kind of seller of a big-ticket item allows delivery without a signature?
From where was the item shipped? How long did it take you to pay after you bought the item on ebay? He woulda had to "hack" your account between the time you bought it and the time you paid for it, because you select ship to address at time of payment. For me, this is usually about 10 seconds, and rarely more than an hour, but not always. That's a very tight window to have done as you suggest. For sure, something doesn't add up. Could it be an address another family member entered?

EDIT: I just noticed you used Buy It Now. Since you select your ship to address at the time you pay, and you pay at the time you buy, then it's highly improbable he hacked you in the couple seconds between buying it now, and paying.

Last edited by mistermo; 11-24-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
From where was the item shipped? How long did it take you to pay after you bought the item on ebay? He woulda had to "hack" your account between the time you bought it and the time you paid for it, because you select ship to address at time of payment. For me, this is usually about 10 seconds, and rarely more than an hour, but not always. That's a very tight window to have done as you suggest. For sure, something doesn't add up. Could it be an address another family member entered?
I agree with you. It was paid for instantly. It was shipped the next day. I’m not sure what happened here, but something is not right.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. It was paid for instantly. It was shipped the next day. I’m not sure what happened here, but something is not right.
Log on to paypal and look at your transaction receipt. Does it show the Ozone Park address? If so, that's the one that was selected at time of payment at the moment you bought it. Somehow this was in your ebay account, but it's virtually impossible the seller placed it there.

If the paypal transaction shows YOUR address, then yes, something got changed and it wasn't you. You select the ship to address when you buy and pay, and your paypal transaction record will show what you selected, even if you didn't know you selected it.

Hope this helps, even if it's not the news you'd like to hear.

EDIT: One time I did the same and selected an out of state address from an old employer of mine, still with address in my ebay account. It was shipped to them, and I never got the item. But it was my mistake for selecting the wrong address and not paying better attention.

Last edited by mistermo; 11-24-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Log on to paypal and look at your transaction receipt. Does it show the Ozone Park address? If so, that's the one that was selected at time of payment at the moment you bought it. Somehow this was in your ebay account, but it's virtually impossible the seller placed it there.

If the paypal transaction shows YOUR address, then yes, something got changed and it wasn't you. You select the ship to address when you buy and pay, and your paypal transaction record will show what you selected, even if you didn't know you selected it.

Hope this helps, even if it's not the news you'd like to hear.
PayPal had my correct address as the delivery address. eBay listed my correct address as my “primary” address and the Ozone park address as my “delivery address.” The item was purchased from a seller in Olean, NY, which is in the western part of the State south of Buffalo.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
PayPal had my correct address as the delivery address. eBay listed my correct address as my “primary” address and the Ozone park address as my “delivery address.” The item was purchased from a seller in Olean, NY, which is in the western part of the State south of Buffalo.
If the item was shipped to an address that wasn't the ship to address on your paypal payment receipt, then you have a very strong case, since you never authorized delivery to Ozone Park. It's all right there on the transaction receipt in paypal.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
If the item was shipped to an address that wasn't the ship to address on your paypal payment receipt, then you have a very strong case, since you never authorized delivery to Ozone Park. It's all right there on the transaction receipt in paypal.
I’m hopeful. I need to wait 10 days to see what happens. In the meanwhile, I’m going to try to have UPS go back to the house. I did a google search of the address and it looks to be residential, i.e, small homes with enclosed porches. Maybe it’s still there, but doubtful.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I’m hopeful. I need to wait 10 days to see what happens. In the meanwhile, I’m going to try to have UPS go back to the house. I did a google search of the address and it looks to be residential, i.e, small homes with enclosed porches. Maybe it’s still there, but doubtful.
Good luck!! Please update this thread when you figure it out.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 PM

I Think you are misunderstanding one another or do the op really have ebay saying ship to "this" adress while paypal receipt showing ship to "another" adress? That dont sound very likely

The fact that paypal does not show or have all your possible ebay shipping destinations means little imo. If the receipt says that adress and the seller shipped to that adress its very hard to fault him for this unlucky situation. id be really annoyed if i was the seller on this one with the info we have thus far.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 11-24-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I Think you are misunderstanding one another or do the op really have ebay saying ship to "this" adress while paypal receipt showing ship to "another" adress? That dont sound very likely

The fact that paypal does not show or have all your possible ebay shipping destinations means little imo. If the receipt says that adress and the seller shipped to that adress its very hard to fault him for this unlucky situation. id be really annoyed if i was the seller on this one with the info we have thus far.
The paypal receipt shows the ship to address selected by the buyer, intentionally or not. If the paypal receipt shows the Ozone Park address, it's hard to fault the seller and unlikely he had any part of this. If it shows Saratoga, then something is fishy. It's really as simple as this.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 PM

Sellers only have protection if they ship to the address that is "confirmed" by PAYPAL. eBay addresses mean nothing in regard to a dispute. PayPal states multiple times that sellers are only protected if they ship to this confirmed address.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 PM

djg21, did your order ship from out of the country?

Where is the Ebay vendor located?

Sure are a ton of Chinese vendors scamming buyers lately. Word on the street is that Ebay likely makes money whether there is a legit sale or not, at least on a percentage of these purchases.

Ebay is a Wall St. outfit and for the most part they are only looking at the numbers.
That vendors can even make their feedback "private" and thus completely devoid of details of what sold or why a buyer left negative feedback is telling!
I know someone who just got scammed on suspension fork purchase out of China, though it remains to be seen if he won't get all of his money back. The seller even sent an envelope so as to generate tracking and a delivery timetable, but the delivery of it oddly went to a somewhat nearby domestic address so as to look like a simple shipping error and so as to buy time before a request for refund could be generated. The post office informed him that this had become a well-known scam. I wonder if it was perhaps merely an envelope that got shipped in your case(?). Would be great to find out, but one should waste no time in filing for a refund.

This doesn't explain the "hacking" part of this, which is making the whole thing very interesting.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:11 PM

Saturday.... I was the OP i would drive to the address and knocking at the door. Maybe the dude hasnt even open the box and is trying to figure that out, maybe the dude is thinking in going to USPS to return the box, I do believe was a weird mistake, who knows but the 100 bucks in fuel worth to go to ask.

The seller might even have the addressee (sp) phone number you know.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:27 AM

A weird tale. Negative feedback is a killer on eBay, and the whole network is so directed towards buyers rather than sellers, I'd expect that you're going to get satisfaction, eventually.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Saturday.... I was the OP i would drive to the address and knocking at the door. Maybe the dude hasnt even open the box and is trying to figure that out, maybe the dude is thinking in going to USPS to return the box, I do believe was a weird mistake, who knows but the 100 bucks in fuel worth to go to ask.

The seller might even have the addressee (sp) phone number you know.
The Seller supposedly was from Olean, NY, but it appears from the UPS shipping info that the product shipped from Carlisle, PA. As I noted, UPS suggested that I ask the seller to issue a package pickup so the driver can go to the home where it was left and try to pick the package up and redeliver it to me. The Seller is refusing to help in any manner.

This is the item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1736962908001