Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 07:23 AM

Transavia trashed my S&S case... Advice?

On a recent flight from Amsterdam to Sophia, Transavia damaged my S&S case.

The hinge is badly mauled and sufficiently bent that the case can't be locked closed. Transavia helpfully wrapped it in a a bit of packing tape and called it a day. I don't think anything fell out but I'm not 100% sure yet.

They insist on my providing a receipt for the case in order to reimburse me for it. I bought the case with a frame over a year ago (used) and have no receipt.

My position is that they ought to be replacing it with a new or used case of equivalent value regardless of whether I have a receipt. Is this unreasonable?

Any advice about what to do other than complain on their twitter? I suspect they're planning to reimburse me little or nothing for it. It's also going to be interesting continuing my travels with this thing.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Tell them you bought it with a frame, which was not damaged. Give them a copy of the receipt for what you bought, and a quote for the case only. Make it clear that you are requesting reparations for the case only. They really trashed it, so they should pay you something. Good luck. Gives me the heebie jeebies considering I travel with a Ritchey soft case.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Ask for a receipt

I would contact the person/shop you purchased the frame case from and explain your situation, I’m sure they will help you out.

Best

Ray
Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 AM

First of all, you are in Europe and are covered by the EU passenger rights.

Second: that's BS. Go to the website of the vendor who made the luggage, print out the cost of a new one, send this to the airline. How much you payed makes no difference, the only point of interest is how much is a replacement cost.

Note that this is a cheap airline so of course they want to pay as little as possible.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Administrator

ugh, that's hard to look at. that case is obviously destroyed, and they are made pretty robustly.

to start off with, get someplace safe and carefully inventory what you find inside. clearly the case was mangled and the frame inside probably fell out, at least partially. i doubt whoever re-packed took caution to get everything in right. you're almost certainly going to find some amount of damage to your frame or wheels.

then get to a bike shop and have them put a value on the damage.

good luck, this is a nightmare for you, and your immediate concern of travelling with that badly damaged case now.

i suggest getting a few ratchet straps to hold it together. i use one on my case every time i travel with it.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Tell them you bought it with a frame, which was not damaged. Give them a copy of the receipt for what you bought, and a quote for the case only. Make it clear that you are requesting reparations for the case only. They really trashed it, so they should pay you something. Good luck. Gives me the heebie jeebies considering I travel with a Ritchey soft case.
I've already made it clear to those clowns that I only want reimbursement for the case, but they're unwilling to accept the bank statement because it's for the total cost of the case plus frame. I purchased from a private party so I have no itemized receipt.

The cost of the case is easy to verify, given that it can be purchased from many different stores. Clearly they're trying to weasel out of paying me by virtue of an irrelevance. Not sure what to do about it. Manufacture a fake receipt? Seems ridiculous, but otherwise I'm out almost $500 after shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
to start off with, get someplace safe and carefully inventory what you find inside. clearly the case was mangled and the frame inside probably fell out, at least partially. i doubt whoever re-packed took caution to get everything in right. you're almost certainly going to find some amount of damage to your frame or wheels.
Everything inside looks OK. I had that web/velcro retainer that comes with the case holding things in place so I don't think the frame or wheels actually fell out. I have some smaller parts that could have fit through the gap between the sides of the case but so far I haven't found anything missing.

Last edited by bitt3n; 11-24-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:42 AM
Administrator

that's ridiculous logic on the airlines part.

how many people still have receipts for any of their luggage. they destroyed your case, is their position that since you dont have an original receipt, it has zero value? if so - that's a laughable defense.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that's ridiculous logic on the airlines part.

how many people still have receipts for any of their luggage. they destroyed your case, is their position that since you dont have an original receipt, it has zero value? if so - that's a laughable defense.
This is straight from their email to me. Basically "without a receipt, we'll pay you what we feel like based on present phase of the moon and wind conditions":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transavia
The matter is that the compensation is based on the Montreal Convention and our General Terms and Conditions. This means that we pay your claim based on the write off-value. A write off-value can only be calculated based on the price and the date in the original proof of purchase (credit card statement or receipt). Since I cannot see the precise price paid for the box I will not be able to determine the true value of the box. Unfortunately I cannot take into consideration the link with the price sent since we are not liable for the a new purchased suitcase, but the damaged one.

Would you fail to provide the requested type of the payment proof I will be able to offer you only a partial refund as per procedure.

Last edited by bitt3n; 11-24-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:15 AM

When Delta tore up my S&S case, they had me deliver the case to them and they repaired it and sent the new looking case back to me.

That's the standard.

In your case, I would just print out a price for a new case including freight and send it to them. Failing that, I would go to a local bike shop and have them write out a receipt with the understanding that when the airline pays up, they can order it for you.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:39 AM

Are you trying to do all this through email? If so, get on the phone and push. Hard.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:22 AM

I had the same case. It is a pretty cheaply constructed case. When I had a SS bike it took about 3 trips before mine was damaged to a point that is would not close properly. Not that the airline is not at fault but I find it hard to blame the airline solely considering the quality of that case. Kinda like blaming a walmart bike for breaking when you take it down a UCI downhill course (maybe not as black and white but you get my point)
Old 11-24-2017, 01:28 PM
ZhugeLiang

Bull$hit

Give them hell.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I had the same case. It is a pretty cheaply constructed case. When I had a SS bike it took about 3 trips before mine was damaged to a point that is would not close properly. Not that the airline is not at fault but I find it hard to blame the airline solely considering the quality of that case. Kinda like blaming a walmart bike for breaking when you take it down a UCI downhill course (maybe not as black and white but you get my point)
I agree to a certain extent.
Not the best construction design and material.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
No, it's nothing like that. The case is made to sustain normal handling. That didn't happen due to normal anything. My case is dinged up, too, but that one looks like it was dropped off the back of a plane or elevated belt loader.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
No, it's nothing like that. The case is made to sustain normal handling. That didn't happen due to normal anything. My case is dinged up, too, but that one looks like it was dropped off the back of a plane or elevated belt loader.
I think it is something like that. I remember thinking when I got mine that there was no way that case would hold up.this damage is pretty bad. I don’t think they are designed for normal wear and tear.