Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekonbike View Post
The new (2015+) Potenza, Chorus, Record etc... has slightly different cable pull than the 2012 era. If I were you I'd look for an athena rear derailleur from that era...you can find 'em on ebay for about the same $$ as Potenza.
Yes but it means nada..the Potenza will work great.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
Will the combination above work? I have relatively "old" Record shifters (the "old" rubber format). Looking combine them with Potenza medium cage.

Any experience?
It'll work fine as Athena, as has been mentioned.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yes but it means nada..the Potenza will work great.
Depends how you define "great" .... if you can cope with a ratty shift at either end of the cassette (assuming you set up in the middle), go for it. If you set up on sprocket 1 - 2, 2 - 3 etc, it gets progressively worse down to sprocket 11 (closest to wheel).

There *is* a difference in cable recovery - not big, but it's there.
Additionally, the tension in the Potenza return spring is insufficient to operate the internal of an UltraShift lever properly.

Sometimes you can get a vaguely acceptable set-up (we did it here in testing at Velotech to test the limits of how good or bad a hybrid pre- / post-2015 system might be) but it doesn't stay that way as wear and tear and increasing cable friction creeps in, plus that basic incompatibility.

As a generality, Campag make statements based on their own ability to test as well as the basic design parameters ... so they often say "not recommended" because they can't spend the time needed to physically test all ring combinations, all cassette sizes on all sizes and geometries of frame within their design parameters, with all the possible legacy product or cross-range combinations. It's just not practical. So rather than say "yes" to something that one might instinctively "feel" should work, they'll just say "not recommended" because part of their warranty is on the ability of the components to perform to their specification and design limits.

We know that there are many things that will *work* that fall outside of Campagnolo recommendations - some will even work *OK* and occasionally, will work exactly to spec, but blanket "yes it'll work fine" recommendations where the exact circumstances haven't been tested are very brave ....
Old 11-24-2017, 06:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
I am running a short cage Chorus RD with 32 teeth cassette. That does not work very well. Too much chain slack at some point and when you get up there on the teeth it is a little sketchy.

Now, do we think that this Athena (black, and declared as LONG) will work:

https://www.bike-components.de/de/Ca...1-fach-p29867/
the long athena works for sure, I have it working on 2 bikes. When are you coming back to the US? I have 3 of them and want to sell 2, I think I have 1 spoken for already but have 1 I can sell but shipping to germany will be too much I think and you probably better off just buying a new one