Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
i have lots of parts, lots......

I probably have 25 sets of "extra" skewers
So thats where they go to hide when wheels are sold without skewers!!!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:26 PM
v a n i l l a

on this forum, all it takes is one small part and people begin to think "I can build a bike around that"

I solved that challenge via the classifieds...I'm down to just a small pile of parts and clothes to go. everything else mounted and ridden

my hoarding? just eight arione cx and three 10sp 13-29 chorus cassettes and maybe four pairs of road tires.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I'm definitely a hoarder. Here's my Campy Retrofriction stash....there's also a Simplex Retrofriction stash as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Why waste time hoarding parts........I still have 5 bikes in boxes that need to be built!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 PM

I hoard the little ancillary dongos you desperately need to finish a build after the local bike shop has closed. Brass ferrules, cable ends, chainring bolts, cables/housing, all kinds of hydro brake stuff for mtbs, under BB cable guides, barrel adjusters, nipples, spokes, cassette spacers, BB spacers, you know the really small things when taken individually, but I have collected them for more than decade now...
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
on this forum, all it takes is one small part and people begin to think "I can build a bike around that"

I solved that challenge via the classifieds...I'm down to just a small pile of parts and clothes to go. everything else mounted and ridden

my hoarding? just eight arione cx and three 10sp 13-29 chorus cassettes and maybe four pairs of road tires.
You have 8 airone cx's???? Are they the carbon rail ones? If so, how do I get into your will.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Houston, being the beneficiary to a trust that distributes Ariones on a 'sprinkling' basis is much preferred to having to go through probate, these days.

I had this problem when it was financially doable for me as someone who worked in the industry to buy stuff, ride it for a year, and sell for what I paid. I got out and went back to school for the past few years, coincidentally becoming much more broke and having far less access to deals that could be flipped later. I keep thinking I've sold all the stuff I don't use, and then finding more in the garage. However, having only bikes that truly get ridden and the parts that are legitimately necessary to keep those bikes ridden is good for my riding, my life, and my mental health. My wife noted that I tend to time big swaps where I sell a bike to buy another bike around periods of high stress. I'm now down to a few nice bikes that please me to ride, and it's a good thing.

Of course I've been eyeballing kayaks, drones, and analog synthesizers.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:49 AM

One way to look at it is...if you can list out all your part in a post on this thread, you don’t have a problem.

...or you happen to have a lot of free time.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 AM

It's NOT hoarding....it's providing for future needs and contingencies taking into consideration market shortages....which reminds me that I should add another tire or two to the tubular stash....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubulars.jpg (87.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
You know you have a problem when you say things like this...

Maybe we need to do an 'intervention'.

And then come to my place and do another.
Yeah I know, but I'm working on it! I actually just boxed up a bunch of old mostly MTB parts that are going to a bike Coop.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 AM

This is timely. I've always had a penchant for accumulating things associated with my hobbies. You know one is none and two is one, etc. And I like to to tinker.

We just gave up our Nor Cal apartment, so the garage is extra full. Haven't gone through and determined what to donate, keep, etc.

We also had to evacuate on Monday for the Canyon Fire 2 here in Orange County. This precipitated some conversation with extended family about what to take. Recently moved out daughter wanted to make sure we took her entire wardrobe. Sister in law was most concerned about Mom and Dad's China and silver. For the record, we took the dog and the safe with the important paperwork, and five days of clothes.

So in the follow-on conversation with the SIL, my better half exclaimed that there was no way to know where the China and silver were as there is so much crap in the garage. The following video was sent as proof.

It also illustrates that I "hoard" many things....
https://youtu.be/7RdCrG5oy-8
Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM

A few years ago my an uncle to a good friend passed away in Colorado Springs. He had been a character in rides around that area for some time, as we learned, but alcohol got him in the end.

He left two huge storage rental spaces. Between the two, we pulled out 110 complete bikes, plus frames and parts and clothes. Among the haul were a number of Litespeeds, Pinarellos, Colnagos, Raleighs, Bianchis, old carbon bits, and an Austro Daimler Ultima with SR. The AD was probably one of the finest bikes I've ever seen and am continuously on the search for one that will fit me. About 80 of the bikes went to a local charity which refurbs bikes for those in need. The others got loaded into a box truck, driven east and sold for some really good deals at the Stop, Swap, and Save in Maryland.

The uncle, being a true hoarder, also had amassed about 50 various guns from a range of time periods.

Wild times.