Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 AM
Administrator

ON Topic: New iPhone 7 - water resistant!

finally!! i've been waiting for a water resistant iPhone that i can just throw in my jersey pocket with reckless abandon. IP67! Apparently better camera too. Better cycling pictures! just in time for fall foliage season.

Boom. Cant wait to get one.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 AM

But how much does it weigh?
Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 AM

iPhone 7 = 138 grams
iPhone 7 Plus = 188 grams

Old 09-08-2016, 08:18 AM

It's about time Apple made the iPhone water resistant. I'm excited about Apple cutting the cord with the head phones but since Apple's earbuds don't work in my ears I'll have to wait for some third party to make something compatible.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Not interested because of the lack of headphone jack.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
It's about time Apple made the iPhone water resistant. I'm excited about Apple cutting the cord with the head phones but since Apple's earbuds don't work in my ears I'll have to wait for some third party to make something compatible.
There are plenty of bluetooth earphones on the market already, I've been using them for a few years. The advantage to the Apple earbuds is that the pair automatically and you will have to pair third party by opening the bluetooth app and selecting the device.

You will also be able to plug in earphones through a lightning cord adapter, so the lack of an audio jack will end up being a non issue. I'll take the water proofyness over the audio jack any day.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:37 AM

I think this is kind of exciting. I have a 6S that is not very old (4 months) but I paid cash for it so I am almost tempted to get the 7, possibly the Plus, as my FIL had already said he'd buy mine if I upgraded.

The better camera is quite a big deal IMO and the waterproofing is awesome for cycling. I bag and unbag my iPhone on rides when I want to take pictures to keep it from water damage and it's such a pain and takes a lot of the fun out of stopping for a picture.

Cooler heads will probably prevail and I'll wait though. Not sure what I think about the headphones. I like the Apple Earbuds. They're convenient and good enough a lot of the time walking around. But I have 3 pairs of "really nice" headphones and a headphone amp and I'd need to figure out a solution to that. I'd imagine someone is going to come out with a DAC+AMP that has a lightning input and then I could use that.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:39 AM
extremely tall

Solution=the adaptor that comes in the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I think this is kind of exciting. I have a 6S that is not very old (4 months) but I paid cash for it so I am almost tempted to get the 7, possibly the Plus, as my FIL had already said he'd buy mine if I upgraded.

The better camera is quite a big deal IMO and the waterproofing is awesome for cycling. I bag and unbag my iPhone on rides when I want to take pictures to keep it from water damage and it's such a pain and takes a lot of the fun out of stopping for a picture.

Cooler heads will probably prevail and I'll wait though. Not sure what I think about the headphones. I like the Apple Earbuds. They're convenient and good enough a lot of the time walking around. But I have 3 pairs of "really nice" headphones and a headphone amp and I'd need to figure out a solution to that. I'd imagine someone is going to come out with a DAC+AMP that has a lightning input and then I could use that.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM

The waterproof rating on the phone is great, what has me really excited is the new watch. Water resistant to 50 meters and with GPS.

I waited a long time to buy the watch and finally did on a whim, then wondered why I waited so damn long, really love the stupid thing. Water proof and GPS means home run for me, it finally fits all of my lifestyle issues (including back yard pool) - I think the Gamin's will be on the market soon.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM

I'm impossibly behind the times with my 3-year old 5S. Unless Verizon makes me an offer I can't refuse I'm probably sticking with it.

The only negative issue I have is that the upper corner of the glass display seems to be somewhat loose. It's mostly a non-issue. Battery life is fine still and I like the form factor.

Rated 10/10.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Not interested because of the lack of headphone jack.
Plugs into power jack...plus there are gobs of wireless/Bluetooth ear phones out there already. Gonna go trade my 6s on a 6s+, probably today. Not interested in 7...
Old 09-08-2016, 08:55 AM

I bought a pair of bowers and Wilkins headphones 4-5 years ago...so I guess I have to buy a jack. I'm definitely in for one...you almost have to be. Your phone warranty runs out after two years and the battery is half dead by then. The life cycle of the phone/warranty mirrors the release cycles.

I'll just get this out of the way now...I'm not techy, nor am I an audiophile. Please go easy on me...

Can wireless headphones produce the same level of sound? I haven't looked into them in several years, but the Bluetooth ones I looked at previously were honestly dog crap. I don't think they even really made higher end blue tooth headphones because they just weren't capable of producing the sound quality at that point. Apple ear buds? I'd sooner listen to music through a styrofoam cup and a string. They actually expect people to PAY for Apple buds?!? They better have dramatically upgraded them.

Not everything should be wireless...my wireless apple keyboard and mouse annoy the crap out of me with the constant battery non-sense. They aren't that far from the computer...there's no real advantage to wireless.

Last edited by Aaron O; 09-08-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Everything is connected

Since Apple might be on the hook for a large tax bill, the timing is right to roll out a phone that coaxes one to use a set of $250 Bluetooth AirPods to listen to your music. Never mind blasting your brain with some additional radio frequency energy. Hell, Apple even warns you to try to limit the amount of time that you hold your phone to your head. I guess that the camera is a major improvement, even though the current iPhone 6 camera is pretty damn good.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11 AM
n - 1

Since buying my first iPhone at 3G launch, this may be the first upgrade year that I won't be buying a new iPhone. I'm still grandfathered into the unlimited plan on AT&T. This plan used to include a subsidy that made the new phones cheaper. Simply sell the old phone, pay for most of the upfront cost (usually $200-400) and rest would be subsidized with a 2 year plan.

Now with the contracts being eliminated, so is the subsidy. Bad part is, my bill stays the same. Getting a new phone would mean I pay upfront for the phone (~$900) or my bill increases by ~$40.

Coupled with the so-so "upgrades" of the 7, I am going to hold onto my SE for a while longer.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 AM

I like the waterproofiness, for the same reasons as mentioned: not having to use a plastic baggie and not having to remove that to take a pic on a ride. or cover the thing in a huge otterbox/lifeproof case.

camera quality looks to be pretty stellar.

I don't mind the audio thing, as I've got BT headphones and they give you an adapter. only issue I could see is if you charge it while listening to music; not sure how that works... doubt I'll be getting the $160 airpods though; they don't work great in my ears and I guarantee I'd lost one within a week.

I'll probably get one after the initial rush, as I have an update coming anyway.