Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 10:25 PM

I have a Motobacon titanium cross bike which apparently comes in at 19.5lb stock and costs less than a Surly Straggler (http://www.roadbikereview.com/review...-cross-team-ti) and would be easy to shave weight from with nicer components.

This is it built up pretty light and stock-ish last summer; currently it's built up heavier and tour-ish:
Old 04-09-2017, 10:38 PM

this thing weighs a just over 18lbs. XTR brakes, Duraace cranks, Fizik R1 handlebars and Enve M50 rims were chosen to lighten the load without losing durability.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:26 AM

This thread is bad for my broke ass staring at my 22 pound Rock Lobster that's perfect except I can feel the weight...

Question: What's the weight diff between 9170 and 9070 w/R785 levers?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:32 AM

My rs685 shifters are sooooooooooo heavy.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:50 AM

There are some sweet builds in here. Tim and Houston, what do you figure the bare frames weigh for each of your bikes - 3.5ish lb?

The big problem with my current bike is that I can't swap my aluminum steerer fork for an equivalent full carbon without messing with the geo, which is perfect as is. Damn fork is a boat anchor and weighs almost as much as a steel fork.

Second problem is I'm addicted to power data and that adds a bit of weight. Third problem is 250+ grams in extra rim weight vs if I paid up for nicer. Fourth problem is the Aliante is too damn comfortable and I gotta have one on there.

Running campy 11 + trp hy rds. Really like the performance after some tweaking, and I think going to shimano or sram full hydro would only be heavier, unless maybe I went di2.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:49 AM

My Ti warbird is 19.45 without pedals but that includes Steel King Iris cages, bar end mirror, Spur Cyle bell, kedge garmin mount and a seat bag mount. It's a 58cm and build is a Rival Hydro 1x11, nothing real fancy. That's also with 475 gram Clement MSO gravel tires set up tubeless. The only parts anything close to weight weenie is the wheelset (Reynolds ATR), enve stem and Thomson masterpiece post.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 AM

I don't know. I never held or weighed my frame. I know it's light and solid. But 3.5 seems heavy. I don't know . At 173lb, dropping a couple of pounds is easier than dropping a couple pounds on a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
There are some sweet builds in here. Tim and Houston, what do you figure the bare frames weigh for each of your bikes - 3.5ish lb?

The big problem with my current bike is that I can't swap my aluminum steerer fork for an equivalent full carbon without messing with the geo, which is perfect as is. Damn fork is a boat anchor and weighs almost as much as a steel fork.

Second problem is I'm addicted to power data and that adds a bit of weight. Third problem is 250+ grams in extra rim weight vs if I paid up for nicer. Fourth problem is the Aliante is too damn comfortable and I gotta have one on there.

Running campy 11 + trp hy rds. Really like the performance after some tweaking, and I think going to shimano or sram full hydro would only be heavier, unless maybe I went di2.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 AM

I feel like this is way too open ended although the stipulation for full hydro brakes I guess narrows it down.

Builds that support big tires (e.x. 38-42c) are just going to be heavier. If "gravel bike" means 28c tires without much tread that can be a much lighter bike.

I know what you mean though.. I got my Domane (around 17lbs with tools, etc..) out this weekend after just riding my Space Horse (25+lbs all up with 38c tires and fenders) and it took me close to an hour to get used to it.. it felt like a leaf in the wind it was so much lighter.

I'm going to switch my Space Horse over to 32c tires without any knobs but even with the 38s there were already places I ride where it didn't have enough traction to put the hammer down. Some of these bikes with 28s would barely qualify as gravel bikes IMO if I was to ride them around where I do this kind of riding.. you'd be walking up some of the looser hilly stuff and having to tiptoe through the sandy stuff.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 AM

here's one.

My 2015 speedvagen. Currently 18.8 lbs w/ eggbeater 3s and a king ti cage.
That's also running with aTubeless wheelset (light-bicycle carbon tubeless hoops, with DT240 hubs) . It's about 18.2 when I drop the cage and put on the party dress wheels for race day.

It's also Di2. I'm sure I could get it under 18 if I went with the mechanical hydro group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21298638704_8138d08de0_z.jpg (61.5 KB, 837 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Sorry... no discs. But otherwise my Imshi fits the bill. Lugged too! These pics show my gravel wheels and tires but my race drivetrain. For gravel I fit a FD and a White Industries EBC crank (28-46) with WI ti BB. If I remember correctly it was 18.5 lb. as shown.

I could save grams by just bolting on a second chainring when I want a double front instead of switching to the WI crankset, but the bailout 28t ring is awfully nice to have for some of the super steep gravel/dirt/grass climbs I like to mix in when riding this bike.

It would also be simple to drop a little weight from the wheels with a lighter hubset. The Onyx hubs are smoooooth but heavy. Next time I will save money AND weight and go back to my usual stand-by set of WI T11.

I suspect there are lighter tire options but I've been pleased with the GravelKing SK.

Under the paint the cockpit is a Ritchey WCS aluminum stem (lighter than carbon and cheaper too), ENVE bars (size 42), and a no-name carbon seatpost (since replaced with a Ritchey carbon after I discovered a crack in the one pictured following a race accident). I assume everyone can recognize the fork easily enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
here's one.

My 2015 speedvagen. Currently 18.8 lbs w/ eggbeater 3s and a king ti cage.

That's also running with aTubeless wheelset (light-bicycle carbon tubeless hoops, with DT240 hubs) . It's about 18.2 when I drop the cage and put on the party dress wheels for race day.

It's also Di2. I'm sure I could get it under 18 if I went with the mechanical hydro group.

So sweet. That Imshi is awesome too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 04:10 PM

My Hunter gets pretty close with racing tubulars on. No discs, obviously, and no oversized tubes (1" headtube, fillet brazed, baby), but it gets under 20 with the accoutrement taken off.

Apologies for the blown out pic... my phone was as excited about the sun as I was, I guess.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:34 PM
aka RAEKWON

people keep posting their non disc bikes but the thing is, its not hard to make a non disc bike 18lbs, hell, its not hard to make a non disc bike 13 lbs. Its discs, which will add 2lbs to the bike, a few to the frame. Also no super weight weenie wheels either.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
people keep posting their non disc bikes but the thing is, its not hard to make a non disc bike 18lbs, hell, its not hard to make a non disc bike 13 lbs. Its discs, which will add 2lbs to the bike, a few to the frame. Also no super weight weenie wheels either.
I think the speedvagen checks the boxes. It's steel, hydro disc, and tubeless. Comes in under 19 without trying hard. Wheels aren't clydesdale, but not weight weenie either.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 PM

here's my geekhouse at 19.5
i can easily drop a pound (at least) if i go with a carbon fork instead of the segmented steel.