Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 03:18 PM

We drove a mazda 3 when we tested the Subaru...it did have that fun zoom zoom factor...but I liked the Impreza more for us.

I'll check out the leg room on it.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Agreed! An Accord would hit all of your requirements and they're not really that big. Another option is the Scion Xb.

Texbike
If he's looking at new cars, the XB isn't made anymore.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Gti.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:36 PM

I will echo the fit. I had similar criteria and bought a 2015 fit exactly two years ago. I have been nothing but impressed. I average better than 35mph around town, it has great room, has great features and tech in the EX model.

You could do much worse.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
As much as I like our Fit, it's not very powerful. 75mph up a hill is pushing it a bit in the Fit. OP mentioned this as a consideration, albeit a low priority one.

They're great, practical cars, but not fast.

Chris
I rented a FIT for a business trip and after 100 miles on the interstate, I was tired from being blown across the lane and the twitchy steering. Its great for an around-town sort of car, but any sort of commute would wear you down.

Not just to pick on the FIT...Mazda 2/Fiesta (same car, different wrapper) were pretty bad as well.

Lots of great recommendations here from the peanut gallery --- 4 years on a CX-5 and not regretted the decision at all.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Things that shouldn't be considered...

Looks, handling, status.
I'm speechless!

(I never used to be a 'car guy', but after driving a few German cars that handle exceptionally well, I turned into a car guy. Fun-to-drive is typically at the TOP of my list )

IF Planet X | Kona Ti SS 29er | Scott Fatbike | Turner Flux
Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
I'm speechless!

(I never used to be a 'car guy', but after driving a few German cars that handle exceptionally well, I turned into a car guy. Fun-to-drive is typically at the TOP of my list )
I'm not in position to make those choices right now...even if I wanted to. Starting at the bottom of pay scale in new career after working less the prior year.

I also park on street...I can't see parking a fancy car on street (though many in my area do).
Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 PM

I actually work under a former member here (when it was Serotta). Coincidence...and we didn't know one another on the site. It was a benefit during the interview though.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
<car stuff>
I'd vote 2 previous generation Civic sedan, if the leg room is okay. 2007-2011. If you can find a later model with 50k miles you'll probably see 200k miles, based on what I've seen. My brother has an Si with almost 190k miles on it, he lives in the boonies, drives it like a utensil and not a show car, it's gotten scraped in the parking lot, etc.

Low maintenance. Nothing weird that I know of. Easy to park, short overhangs. Fast enough, Si is actually fun.

Another would be, pending room, a newer Elantra hatch or the sister Kia hatch. 100k drivetrain warranty. With certain engines it'll be powerful enough (175-200 hp). Hatch really shortens length (our Golf hatch was 165" long, Jetta wagon 179" long, our new Civic sedan is 184" long?). Hatch also makes it possible to load bikes/etc.

I'm assuming no need for passenger room because a tall person in a small car means rear seats have zero leg room, so the hatch means you can fold down the rear seats and have a ton of usable storage. Only drawback is that it's visible from the outside, if doing street parking.

Every car has some weirdness; the trick is to try and figure out which ones aren't weird where it hits you. For example the new Ford Fusion, if you need to replace a headlight bulb, labor is in the $200 range because you have to remove the bumper to get to the bulbs. Some timing belts are super easy to do - older 1.6 liter Elantra, 45 minutes (book time 3.8 hours?), which is quick/easy. Etc.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Here is a good starting point:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...rankings/cars/
Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
I'm speechless!

That's why I drive an X3 6MT

M
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

A few days ago I saw what I believe is the new Civic hatchback, and it looks very nifty. Had it been available when I bought my '14 Impreza I would certainly have test-driven one.

However, I have been happy with the Impreza even though this year there hasn't been any significant snow. Even without the snow, the AWD does a great job helping with the handling.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 PM
kg

I drove it a few months ago. Nice enough and good looks though the interior is made for kids who like video games. Still I would have considered it but despite the fact that I only have a 34' inseam, the seat didn't go back far enough for comfort. I was really surprised they would build a car that way in this day and age. Forget about fitting in the fit.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
A few days ago I saw what I believe is the new Civic hatchback, and it looks very nifty. Had it been available when I bought my '14 Impreza I would certainly have test-driven one.

However, I have been happy with the Impreza even though this year there hasn't been any significant snow. Even without the snow, the AWD does a great job helping with the handling.

If the Impreza fit me more comfortably, I wouldn't have asked the question

Love our Impreza (hatch back), but it doesn't have much room up front.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I drove it last week. Indeed it is a very nice car. Thought about buying one but my the advantage of my Fit is the ease of parking and maneuvering. If I had to do a lot of highway the new civic would absolutely be in my top 5.