Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2024, 07:01 AM

Can I reuse had brake lines and go from mineral to DOT?

Help please. I am going to change from Shimano GRX to SRAM Force on my Gravel bike. I prefer the hood shape of SRAM. The lines are internal, so a bit of a pain to remove and replace. Can I reuse the hydraulic lines from Shimano (mineral oil) and use them with SRAM Force (DOT)? Thank you.

Last edited by TomP; 03-13-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:07 AM
ZhugeLiang

no
Old 03-13-2024, 07:27 AM

If you're buying new shift levers and calipers, those are sold as a kit, with hoses. I cut the hoses at the caliper end and fed them through. The kits include new hose fittings to allow for shortening. You need a SRAM bleed kit.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:31 AM

There is engineering that goes into the hoses (stiffness and inside diameter, for example) to make the brakes feel the way they are supposed to (power and modulation). Shimano for example have a different hose for MTB and road applications. Not to mention SRAM and Shimano hoses aren't technically interchangeable.

Buy an internal routing kit, and use the old hoses to pull the new ones through. It is actually very easy to do.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM

Thanks guys. The ones I got are used, but in nice condition. I do have the Park internal routing kit and a SRAM bleed kit. I'll pick up the hoses and fittings. Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2024, 09:12 AM

You cannot reuse them. But it's no pain at all to swap them if you already have the GRX lines. Don't tell us you pulled the GRX lines out of the frame!

Get one of these, someone recommended this here to me last year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

There are likely other brands, but it's hard to search for these.

Detach your old calipers/levers and then thread this into one end, then thread the new lines onto the other end, then you just pull it through, super super easy. I have the park internal routing kit as well but there's no need for that for hydraulic hoses if the bike has old lines already in it.

I did this when converting my son's bike from no-name mineral oil brakes to SRAM last year. GREAT little tool.

For SRAM you need a line cutting tool but almost any newer brake you do not need a barb driver, they send the brakes with a thread in barb and I believe the tiny little wrench comes in the retail brake packages.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:18 PM

Thank you. No, I did not pull the other lines, thinking that I might need them to pull new lines through. Thanks again.