Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief
it's about sharing. do you have something to share
Louis' best riding frame is his Kirk. Of course, that's assuming it ever gets built up, because riding a frame without parts and wheels leaves something to be desired.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
ergottWheels

The best riding road bike I have/had is my Ottrott.
The best riding 'cross bike I have/had is my Zanconato.

I'm know there are others, but I have to say Mike Zanconato knows how to make awesome bikes and he's on top of my go to list of build builders. No personal experience with David Kirk, but he's up there too (someday I'll get one). I'd recommend Sachs, but he's not taking orders.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 PM

I will also add a vote for the Look 585. Like the ride and fit so well I have two of them.

But I also love the ride of my Serotta Fierte IT. It's a tad heavier than the 585, so doesn't feel as nimble on climbs (or maybe it's something other than the weight), but otherwise, it's a perfect ride.

Bear in mind that things like tires, wheels, saddles, bars and stems make a huge difference in the ride. I've just gone to a bigger diameter bar and stem (31.8) on a 585 and it is noticeably stiffer and racier. Shape of the bars is better for sprinting and climbing out of the saddle in the drops (a la Pantani) than the older bars, too.

I figured you'd get a million different replies to your OP, partly because it was a little vague, and partly that's the nature of the question. It's like a koan that has no answer. But I am surprised by the number of Aluminum frames mentioned, especially Cannondales. I've never ridden one, although I've ridden Trek, Serotta, and Fondriest Al frames.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM

The best riding frame is the next one.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Shifty Member

Still have to read through the rest of the posts, but I'd have to say that I like having bikes that behave differently. I had a new Tarmac and Sworks E5, but they were too similar both in geometry and excellent ride quality. (and I liked the shorter HT on the Sworks better), so I sold off the Tarmac).

Now I'm getting to know a Ti Dean and I like it so far because it feels so different than the Sworks. I also love my Ironman Centurion because it's comfy, and has a nice, euro geometry.

Then there's my Bianchi Zurigo that I like but haven't loved due to the fact that I can't get the front end low enough. I will be changing that by installing some mini-v's and getting rid of the hanger.

Lastly is my secondhand, beat up Fuji Thrill. Nothing special at all about it, but it makes me feel like a kid again.

Last edited by eippo1; 03-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Tough call - used to think the best riding overall was my old my Ottrott. I recently got my hands on a Time NXR....and it is VERY sweet.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM

maybe the best riding frame is never

the one you are riding now. and like Louis, the best riding one is the one that is next in line. everything in its own time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red
Louis' best riding frame is his Kirk. Of course, that's assuming it ever gets built up, because riding a frame without parts and wheels leaves something to be desired.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red
Actually, my best-riding bike right now uses a $125 Nashbar frame. Apparently I'm not a very discriminating cyclist. That probably explains why I don't have any Rapha kit.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM

best ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart
Best riding bike... ? My Riv Romulus. No doubt. Makes every bump go away, almost, even with 23's. And in a sort of german car, non-floating, well-controlled ride way.

But... weighs 24 lbs as built, so not a great choice for 'fast' rides... or lots and lots of climbing.
My Riv Roadeo is my favorite bike. Its a little lighter than a Romulus, but still has the smooth ride and good handling of a Rivendell. I have had carbon, aluminum,steel and ti. I think fit and geo have more to do with one's liking a particular bike than the choice of material.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt
I will also add a vote for the Look 585. Like the ride and fit so well I have two of them.

But I also love the ride of my Serotta Fierte IT. It's a tad heavier than the 585, so doesn't feel as nimble on climbs (or maybe it's something other than the weight), but otherwise, it's a perfect ride.

Bear in mind that things like tires, wheels, saddles, bars and stems make a huge difference in the ride. I've just gone to a bigger diameter bar and stem (31.8) on a 585 and it is noticeably stiffer and racier. Shape of the bars is better for sprinting and climbing out of the saddle in the drops (a la Pantani) than the older bars, too.

I figured you'd get a million different replies to your OP, partly because it was a little vague, and partly that's the nature of the question. It's like a koan that has no answer. But I am surprised by the number of Aluminum frames mentioned, especially Cannondales. I've never ridden one, although I've ridden Trek, Serotta, and Fondriest Al frames.

I found it interesting that steel although real may not be the best ride in the stable!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 PM

a vote for hi-ten

Schwinn Sting-Ray: red frame, black banana seat, lo-rise sissy bar, slicks.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM

NOS Basso Loto SLX, a cheap eBay find, ended up liking it much better than my big bucks Tommasini Tecno or DeRosa. (Sold those last two).

Tied for first: Rossin Ghibli SLX.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 PM

This tread has made me think back to all the frames I've had, and think of them in ways I've never thought of.

Cannondale R600- Too big never got comfortable on it.
LeMond Alpe d'Huez- I really like that bike now that I think back on it, sold it because I got made fun of by my friends for having a triple, lame I know.
Orbea lubuar 100- Really liked it this bike too, don't remember why I got rid of it, but it was the best fit bike I've had. Fast and comfortable. Alu with a complete carbon rear. I think I'd buy one again.
Colnago Master- Bought while surfing ebay and drinking too much scotch. I felt like it was too much when I was riding it, like I didn't want to scratch it. Like an old man having a classic car. Sold it for more than I bought it for, so it ended well.
Litespeed Icon- Fast, maybe a little too racy, and I had to put a smaller stem on it than I like riding.
BMC Pro Machine, so far best bike I've owned for almost all reasons, fits perfect, super fast, super comfortable, handles better than anything I've ridden, looks cool.

I might be forgeting some, seems like I've gone thru more frames than that, but they must not have been that great if I can't rememeber.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:35 PM

My 1998 Titanium Serotta.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM

bikes are like wine. There are good ones and bad ones but not a best one. if you think you have tried the best wine in the world, you just need to drink more and diferent types of wine. All (back to bikes now) have distinct charactistics that if you can define them and notice, you will appreciate when you ride it. This is the best thing about having many bikes. You can have many differnt bikes and ride them all, no problem. Try that with women, go ahead, I dare ya....
00 Tommasini Sintesi

Last edited by martinrjensen; 03-16-2012 at 07:03 PM.